XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

About to buy my first Jag...is this a good price?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy my first Jag...is this a good price?

First off, hello all, and thanks in advance.
I'm very interested in an XKR 2001, convertible near me. It's green/tan, 63k miles, very clean. They want 10,500. Not sure if there are records.
It seems to run and drive very smoothly. Is this a fair price?

Old 06-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

With no more info than provided I'd say yes that's a good price. I'm sure others will chime in with items to watch for or just read up here and you'll find tons of info.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Received 153 Likes on 120 Posts

Fair price, but with no records, ask the seller if you can take it to a local British/Jag/European independent shop and have them perform a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection). It'll cost you an average of $100 and a couple hours, but will be worth your while to see if an experienced tech can identify any deal breaker problems. Like if the tensioners have been done or not. How do the belts and hoses look? Any leaks? Check out the hydraulic pump (for the top) on the passenger side of the trunk above the CD changer- are the black hoses going to it flaking or do they look good? Run a CARFAX and make sure it has a clean title (and get a good idea of its owner, location history at least).

Good luck!

Last edited by Sentinelist; 06-04-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Theopolis,
It's a fair price if it's in good condition. While a complete service history is desired, it's no guarantee that you won't have problems. I bought my 2002 XKR about 4 years ago with 62,000 miles on it, with a 2" thick file of every service ever done on it from new at the local Jaguar dealer. I still have had every one of the typical problems associated with these cars. However, I am now passing 150,000 miles with the car looking and running like new.

My first concern would be that as a 2001, the car came with plastic tensioners. If they haven't been replaced, you will need to do so very soon. Unless you are doing it yourself, you will need to budget around $1200. for parts and labor. You should also have it checked out at either a Jaguar dealer or an independent Jaguar service shop where they can check for any outstanding code issues. Just because they don't show on the warning display doesn't mean they are not there. The price is fair, but you need to know what other potential issues you'll be paying for soon after. Check to see if the hydraulic hoses have ever been replaced for the convertible top, as well.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for the quick replies. I did see a few threads on the tensioners, which my brother can handle easily. I'll also check the lines for the top. The pre inspection is a stellar idea. They offer a six month warranty with the car, but I'll take the advice. Much appreciated. Tberg, nice list as I also have a 280z, and a 65 GTO, but how's that Pantera run?

Old 06-05-2014, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Theopolis,
The truth is ever since I bought the 2002 XKR I almost never drive the Pantera except for a couple of times a year at the track. It runs very well, but even with all of the cooling system upgrades, it is not fond of traffic or warm weather. I live in Los Angeles, the perfect storm. On the track, it will run all day long without issue even in hot weather as it is continuously moving. I should probably sell it, but I just love its shape (as well as its sound). The GTO is taken apart right now and hopefully will be put back together in the next few months. I have owned the 280Z from new and even though it's not as old as the Pantera, it feels like a much older car when driving it.

Finally, I have just purchased a 2010 XKR coupe, that will replace the Pantera as the occasional track car as I'm getting too "old" to wrestle with it on the more technical tracks. It will be relegated to Sunday drives and car shows.

Good luck on your purchase. The tensioners are the most serious issue you need to take care of on any pre-2003 XK/XKR, just figure it as part of the purchase price and negotiate accordingly. Don't drive it without having it done (unless it's already been done by the previous owner).