XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

ABS/ASC/TRAC faults.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Received 79 Likes on 38 Posts
Default ABS/ASC/TRAC faults.

Hi Jagnuts,

I have a question for our more 'hands-on' members. I've had a problem with my '00 XK8 a couple of times where, with no apparent warning or cause, I will get an enunciator panel warning that TRAC and ASC is not available, as well as an illuminated ABS icon and, sure enough, climbing on the binders demonstrates that I can, in fact, lock the wheels up. The trouble is that the warnings always go away if I shut the car off and re-start. Whatever is setting this off doesn't seem to leave a code that my OBD II reader can find. I have cleaned the wheel-speed sensors, and my next project would be to pull the ABS module, but would a cold-solder joint leave a permanent code, or only flag a problem when one of the actual joints vibrates open? Its only happened a couple of times, and never hung around long enough to plug my code reader in and castch it in the act. Any thoughts?

Old 07-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

First off I would get your battery checked. Now I am talking about a test performed by Autozone, PepBoys or Sears they will perform a load test and cost nothing. This car is sensitive to voltage fluctuations. As for the module it could be the problem but I find it unlikely because you say you can shut the car down restart and it is gone. In most cases the ABS module problem you will start the car as it begins to move the ABS comes up, you shut it down and restart and it will do it again. The connection on the module that fails is the power to it, the simple vibration causes the inconsistent power to it causing the ABS fault.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:28 PM

Battery load tests perfectly. 14.2 volts at idle, and the car has a permanently wired-in battery tender to make sure the clock, etc. don't run the battery down during periods of little use.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Howdy, Scott

I'm becomming more and more convinced that at least half of these faults come from one of two known sources:
- the cold joint problem in the ABS module,
- intermittent connectivity in the connectors and short wire harness sections leading to the front sensors (these have to flex, the rears don't, or more precisely don't have to flex nearly as much).

There's some good news. We have a good chance of making an educated guess about which of these it might be by noting when -- under what conditions -- the fault appears.

If it happens when you first start the car, that would favor the first cause. If turning the steering wheel lock-to-lock a few times brings up the fault, that's probably the sensor stuff. It might take some watching over several days to see if a pattern emerges.

If it starts to look like the sensors, we can dredge up some old posts with procedures to isolate the bad guy (requires an ohm meter).

Good luck ...

Old 07-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robert Scott Neilly
Battery load tests perfectly. 14.2 volts at idle, and the car has a permanently wired-in battery tender to make sure the clock, etc. don't run the battery down during periods of little use.
Scott I have a check list on my page that might help in troubleshooting the ABS http://gusglikas.com/images/AutoRepa...heet%20XK8.pdf it works on a 1999 and I see that your car is a 2000, this might help. As for the module repair this link should help http://gusglikas.com/images/AutoRepa...e%20Repair.pdf

I feel the trouble shooting sheet will help but do not know the exact difference between the two MY I hope you find none.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

On my third XK and had this problem on all of them, has always been break in the conductor in the lead from sensor to connector under bonnet, obviously caused by the flexing, as a previous poster pointed out.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:41 PM

Thanks Gus and Dennis. The warnings are now on constantly, and no longer disappear upon restart, but my OBDII reader is not throwing a code??!!

The ABS plug on mine seems to be the identical configuration to your (09) Gus, and all four WS sensors have an identical resistance reading, right on spec. They were all just cleaned (as per the Rev), so next stop is checking for cold solder joints. I was feeling fiesty enough to tackle it this evening, but I need to pick up the proper bitty socket for the mounting studs, so this step will have to wait until Tuesday, as it's a holiday here in Canukistan Monday, which just means even longer hours for us here in the Recreation Industry. Work; curse of the Drinking Class!

Old 07-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Sounds like Dennis's first suggestion, to a T. A code of C1095 (of which your scanner will not be able to show you, since its a jaguar unique code to the ABS system) will give you 99.5% certainty.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jagnuts,

I have a question for our more 'hands-on' members. I've had a problem with my '00 XK8 a couple of times where, with no apparent warning or cause, I will get an enunciator panel warning that TRAC and ASC is not available, as well as an illuminated ABS icon and, sure enough, climbing on the binders demonstrates that I can, in fact, lock the wheels up. The trouble is that the warnings always go away if I shut the car off and re-start. Whatever is setting this off doesn't seem to leave a code that my OBD II reader can find. I have cleaned the wheel-speed sensors, and my next project would be to pull the ABS module, but would a cold-solder joint leave a permanent code, or only flag a problem when one of the actual joints vibrates open? Its only happened a couple of times, and never hung around long enough to plug my code reader in and castch it in the act. Any thoughts?
My 2000 XK8 has been doing exactly the same thing for the past 2 weeks. The problem only seems to develop if I drive for 20 minutes or more.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:41 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

you should check the transmission. for some odd reason i think that those z4 transmission

Old 07-31-2011, 11:44 PM

try find out what that code mean

Old 07-31-2011, 11:46 PM

c stands for chasis i believe. so that code will point you in the right direction. try and find it in all data. the sell the disk at autozone. maybe somebody in the forum can find out what it mean. but it could be the tranny3

Old 08-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I found out on my car that the rear wheel bearings are worth a quick check. Jack up the rear of the car and grab the top and bottong of the tire and see if it has any movement.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Don't mess around, get right to the problem...

I messed around with a lot of checking, cleaning and whatnot before I finally solved my issue by going to Gus' website, printing the Hard Fault ABS Checklist and spending 1/2 hour following it's instruction.

If everything checks out at the CPU interface you can remove the processing unit (easy, 1/2 hour) and send it to Module Masters in Idaho (Module Masters > Home) and 3 days and $150 later your problem will be solved and warranted.

This cleared up my ABS/Trac fault lights immediately and also corrected the trunk light functioning....

Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Spurlee
If everything checks out at the CPU interface you can remove the processing unit (easy, 1/2 hour) and send it to Module Masters in Idaho (Module Masters > Home) and 3 days and $150 later your problem will be solved and warranted.

This cleared up my ABS/Trac fault lights immediately and also corrected the trunk light functioning....
Are you sure that's the right link? Looks like a software company...

Old 08-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Oops

Originally Posted by Andy94SC
Are you sure that's the right link? Looks like a software company...
ModuleMaster rebuilds ABS modules for as low as $100, 2 day average turn-around, 5 Year Guarantee

Right name, wrong link...this is the place.

Sorry,

Old 08-05-2011, 05:34 PM

Well, I obtained the wee socket I needed, and boldly went where several of you have gone before. The ABS unit came out and apart just as advertised, but I was pretty bummed out when I saw that my solder joints looked perfect. Until I looked at them under a magnifying glass. Both broken. I would have taken a picture, but they look just like Dan's, Pauls, and others. Besides, I was too busy dancing around the shop and deciding which peat-flavoured bevvy I was going to celebrate with. Soldering and RTV seal are done, unit is back in Mr. J. Jr., and my ABS/TRAC light is gone! Halllelujah Bretheren and Cistern. This forum is....... Awesome. (I can't believe I just said that.)

Oh, and I settled on a lovely 15 yr old Scapa. And maybe more than one.

Thanks, Guys.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

saaaaweeeet! who's da man? That's right... YOU da man!

Old 08-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Well, I obtained the wee socket I needed, and boldly went where several of you have gone before. The ABS unit came out and apart just as advertised, but I was pretty bummed out when I saw that my solder joints looked perfect. Until I looked at them under a magnifying glass. Both broken. I would have taken a picture, but they look just like Dan's, Pauls, and others. Besides, I was too busy dancing around the shop and deciding which peat-flavoured bevvy I was going to celebrate with. Soldering and RTV seal are done, unit is back in Mr. J. Jr., and my ABS/TRAC light is gone! Halllelujah Bretheren and Cistern. This forum is....... Awesome. (I can't believe I just said that.)

Oh, and I settled on a lovely 15 yr old Scapa. And maybe more than one.

Thanks, Guys.
Kudos to you! On the road again!