XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

ABS failure ( long running )

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 06:44 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default ABS failure ( long running )

Hi,

Since I bought this car a couple of years ago, I've had the ABS failure warning on and off. It's not a huge priority so I've had a bit of a go at fixing it, but mostly ignored it.

However I've finally noticed a pattern to it: this summer the error started staying on permanently. As soon as it got cold this winter, it's started being intermittent again.

Does the temperature change narrow it down to a specific problem?

Old 11-15-2016, 07:16 AM
Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

yes I believe its the solder joint inside the abs module very common failure on xk8's you can send the module out to be repaired for about 45 dollars I tried doing it myself but messed it up and ended up buying one rebuilt for around 225. mine was doing the same thing when it gets cold the module start making a connection again .

The following users liked this post:
mrobinson (11-16-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 09:06 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

First I would check the battery if that is not the cause you may want to check each of the wheel ABS connectors and wheel sensors. If that does not fix the problem then remove the ABS unit and see if it has a problem. Attaching a few links that should help.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

mrobinson (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 09:17 AM
Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

also get some contact cleaner and spray the multi pin connector that plugs into the abs module theres a handle you pull up on the connector slide it back a little and then push back down to remove the connector. spray both parts and let air dry for a little also the 2 pin power plug right below it a lot of the sensors pass thru that module and it may just be dirty.

mrobinson (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

I agree with cleaning your wheel speed sensors first if you have not already done so. When you do that, check the condition of the insulation boots on the wiring harnesses where they plug into the sensors. They crack and peel away, exposing the internal wires to the elements. I coated these boots with a neutral-cure silicone sealant a few years ago, and that (along with cleaning the sensors at every oil & filter change / tire rotation) has prevented any ABS/DSC messages from returning....

mrobinson (11-16-2016)