XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

ABS Icon Illuminated / "Cruise Not Available" Displayed....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,409 Likes on 2,878 Posts
Default ABS Icon Illuminated / "Cruise Not Available" Displayed....

2006 XK8 with 126,550 miles....

I moved my wife's car this morning and noticed the dashboard has the amber ABS icon illuminated while the message center is displaying a solid "Cruise Not Available".

- We know that the message center alternating between "Check Rear Lights" and "Cruise Not Available" typically points to a faulty brake pedal switch....

- We know that an illuminated amber ABS icon and the message center displaying "DSC Fault" typically points to a dirty or faulty wheel speed sensor or a wheel speed sensor wiring harness issue....

So what does the amber ABS icon illuminated along with "Cruise Not Available" displaying on the message center typically point to?

Much obliged for any advice....

Old 03-18-2024, 01:53 PM
Received 165 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
2006 XK8 with 126,550 miles....

I moved my wife's car this morning and noticed the dashboard has the amber ABS icon illuminated while the message center is displaying a solid "Cruise Not Available".

- We know that the message center alternating between "Check Rear Lights" and "Cruise Not Available" typically points to a faulty brake pedal switch....

- We know that an illuminated amber ABS icon and the message center displaying "DSC Fault" typically points to a dirty or faulty wheel speed sensor or a wheel speed sensor wiring harness issue....

So what does the amber ABS icon illuminated along with "Cruise Not Available" displaying on the message center typically point to?

Much obliged for any advice....
On mine it meant that my ABS module had failed. But I also got TRAC NOT AVAILABLE (or similar wording). A code scan revealed an ABS Pump Circuit error.

Old 03-18-2024, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the information. So you never saw "Cruise Not Available" displayed on the message center?

Old 03-18-2024, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the information. So you never saw "Cruise Not Available" displayed on the message center?
I think I had both Cruise NA and Trac NA, but memory is a bit fuzzy. I definitely had the ABS light. You're going to need a good code scan to narrow it down.

Old 03-18-2024, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

Just put my iCarsoft i930 scanner to work. I have not had to use it for nearly two years. Following are the results:

C1155 -- Front left wheel speed sensor circuit failure.

C1175 -- Rear left wheel speed sensor circuit failure.

P0706 -- Transmission range sensor circuit range / performance.

C1300 -- This fault code is not found in the database.

P2200 -- This fault code is not found in the database.

U1135 -- Ignition status not obtained.

U1041 -- SCP vehicle speed signal - invalid or missing data.

B24BD -- Diagnostic trouble code invalid.

C1703 -- Rear right corner parking sensor circuit failure.

B2497 -- Control module configuration failure.

My guess is that some of these OBDII codes are spurious or historic. Which ones, I do not know....

My NAPA AGM battery (built in April 2022 and installed in August 2022) measures 12.8 volts at the battery terminals with the engine off and 13.6 volts at the battery terminals with the engine running....

Any suggestions, folks?

Old 03-18-2024, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,820 Likes on 2,247 Posts

I think you should delete the codes and do a reset, then see what comes back when you drive it for a few miles. My 05 had the CNA message only when I bought it and that was the brake switch.

The following 3 users liked this post by RJ237:
Jon89 (03-19-2024), michaelh (03-18-2024), motorcarman (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 03:59 PM

I second what @RJ237 said. Clear codes and see which ones come back. 13.6 is a little light, but not severely. What does the voltage measure, when running, at the underhood terminals?

The following users liked this post:
Jon89 (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member

The voltage measured 14.2 at the underhood terminals with the engine running. I will attempt to clear the codes later today and report back. Thanks for assisting, guys....

Last edited by Jon89; 03-19-2024 at 06:43 AM.
Y2KJag (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Update:

I cleared the codes that would indeed clear (some of the historic codes and invalid codes would not clear), then took the car out for a five-mile jaunt. The amber ABS icon illuminated again, the amber oval warning light above the odometer illuminated, and the dashboard message center began alternating between "DSC System Fault" and "Cruise Not Available". My scanner showed "C1236 - rear left wheel speed signal missing"....

So I cleared the codes a second time (again, some of the historic codes and invalid codes would not clear), then took that same five-mile jaunt again. Same dashboard warning lights, same dashboard alternating messages, and same C1236 code showed up on my scanner....

When I get time I will pull the left rear wheel speed sensor, clean it thoroughly using Reverend Sam's toothbrush scrubbing with dish soap and water method, have a good look at that wiring harness, and clean the sensor and harness connectors with electrical contact cleaner spray. I hope that will fix it, but there is always the possibility that the left rear speed sensor itself has failed. I remember having to replace one of the wheel speed sensors on my 2005 S-Type many years ago. While I have the car's rear end up in the air, I will give the same treatment to the right rear wheel speed sensor just for good measure....

This evening we are scheduled to pick up an Irish Wolfhound puppy we will be fostering for the next couple of months. He needs an ACL repair surgery on one of his hind legs once his bone growth plates have closed, he has sadly been neglected by his original owners in Missouri, so much of my time and attention going forward will be focused on attempting to bring him back to good health. Not sure when I can get back to my wife's XK8 but I will keep this thread updated when I do....

Many thanks to all who have offered advice. Please keep it coming if you know of anything else I should look for or do....

The following 4 users liked this post by Jon89:
cjd777 (03-19-2024), kstevusa (03-19-2024), RJ237 (03-19-2024), Y2KJag (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 04:32 PM

Update:

I cleared the codes that would indeed clear (some of the historic codes and invalid codes would not clear), then took the car out for a five-mile jaunt. The amber ABS icon illuminated again, the amber oval warning light above the odometer illuminated, and the dashboard message center began alternating between "DSC System Fault" and "Cruise Not Available". My scanner showed "C1236 - rear left wheel speed signal missing"....

So I cleared the codes a second time (again, some of the historic codes and invalid codes would not clear), then took that same five-mile jaunt again. Same dashboard warning lights, same dashboard alternating messages, and same C1236 code showed up on my scanner....

When I get time I will pull the left rear wheel speed sensor, clean it thoroughly using Reverend Sam's toothbrush scrubbing with dish soap and water method, have a good look at that wiring harness, and clean the sensor and harness connectors with electrical contact cleaner spray. I hope that will fix it, but there is always the possibility that the left rear speed sensor itself has failed. I remember having to replace one of the wheel speed sensors on my 2005 S-Type many years ago. While I have the car's rear end up in the air, I will give the same treatment to the right rear wheel speed sensor just for good measure....

This evening we are scheduled to pick up an Irish Wolfhound puppy we will be fostering for the next couple of months. He needs an ACL repair surgery on one of his hind legs once his bone growth plates have closed, he has sadly been neglected by his original owners in Missouri, so much of my time and attention going forward will be focused on attempting to bring him back to good health. Not sure when I can get back to my wife's XK8 but I will keep this thread updated when I do....

Many thanks to all who have offered advice. Please keep it coming if you know of anything else I should look for or do....
Swap the suspect sensor with the one on the other side. See if the error follows the sensor or not. If so, replace the sensor. If not, replace the sensor wire. That's what I did when I kept getting Left Front Speed Sensor Communication errors.

Jon89 (03-20-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 06:51 PM
Received 54 Likes on 17 Posts

Update:

not sure if my mind plays tricks on me:
as i put back together my xk8 i forgot to connect one of the rear sensors.
the connector was in the trunk if i remind correctly. it was a easy job.

Jon89 (03-20-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Update:

Had some time this morning so I jacked up the rear axle, pulled the rear wheels, and removed both rear wheel speed sensors. They were both dirty, but not as dirty as I remember seeing them before previous cleanings. I scrubbed them with a toothbrush dipped in dish soap and water, sprayed the electrical connectors with electrical contact cleaner, sprayed the hub interiors with brake cleaner spray through the empty hole where the wheel speed sensors fit, and took a good look at the wiring harnesses. Some of the neutral-cure RTV I had coated the harness boots with back in late 2012 had begun to split, so I wiped off the dirt and covered both boots again with a fresh glob of RTV....

I then swapped the two rear wheel speed sensors with each other and cleared the OBDII codes. After re-installing the wheels, I took the car out for a five-mile jaunt to see if the OBDII codes would follow the swap. They indeed did. My scanner is now reading C1235 (rear right wheel speed sensor signal missing) instead of C1236 (rear left wheel speed sensor signal missing). The amber ABS icon remains illuminated, the amber oval warning light above the odometer remains illuminated, and the message center continues to alternate between "DSC System Fault" and "Cruise Not Available"....

So I called SNG Barratt and ordered two aftermarket wheel speed sensors (LJA2226AA) for about $46 each after my forum discount. They sell the OEM Jaguar wheel speed sensor for about $230 each - no thanks, I already know that the aftermarket version works just fine. I ordered two because I figure the other one could decide to quit on me soon as well. They will ship today via UPS so I hope to have them in hand by early next week....

Sure hope the new wheel speed sensor will indeed resolve this issue once and for all. But with the multiple warning lights and messages showing up on the dashboard, I will reserve judgment until I install one of the new sensors on the right rear wheel hub and clear the codes once again. Stay tuned....

Last edited by Jon89; 03-22-2024 at 12:50 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jon89:
cjd777 (03-23-2024), kstevusa (03-22-2024), RJ237 (03-22-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,014 Posts

I’m a little aggressive in cleaning up the sensor and the paddle wheel with light action using a 3M Roloc disc or a sanding drum on a Dremel tool until the paddle wheel is shiney and and the sensor is showing the metal strips bright. Some CRC electrical cleaning spray on on the wiring plug too. Thats been all it takes to get my trouble lights to go off.

Fortunately my harness has been trouble free so far, although I know those are notoriously too short .

Z

Last edited by zray; 03-24-2024 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

I had a few minutes this morning so just for fun I called our local Jaguar parts department (Jaguar Cary) to see if they have these wheel speed sensors in stock. No they do not, but they will be happy to order one for me to the tune of $450. I guess Jaguar is doing its dead-level best to ensure that all of their long-time customers run for the exits as quickly as possible....

The parts guy told me they have recently taken all Jaguar signage off the building and are selling only Land Rovers now....

The following 4 users liked this post by Jon89:
cjd777 (03-25-2024), kstevusa (03-25-2024), RJ237 (03-25-2024), Y2KJag (03-25-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Update:

My two new wheel speed sensors arrived this afternoon. Unfortunately, SNG Barratt's system gave us the wrong part number and therefore they sent me the wrong sensors. Some of the last XK8s and XKRs built were fitted with wheel speed sensor part no. XR822753, and that is indeed what my wife's 2006 XK8 has (it was built during the final month of production, May 2005). So I am returning the two aftermarket LJA2226AA wheel speed sensors and have ordered a pair of aftermarket XR822753 wheel speed sensors instead (about $32 each). Unfortunately, they are not in stock at SNG Barratt USA and must therefore come from the UK. SNG Barratt says to expect them in about a week, but I know better. Two weeks if I am lucky. Stay tuned....

By the way, our local Jaguar dealership parts department was also wrong when I spoke with them yesterday. They told me I needed part no. LJA2226AA just as SNG Barratt originally did. Yet another case of the Jaguar factory throwing different parts on these cars at the tail end of the XK8 / XKR model run and not documenting it. Grrrrrrrrr....

Last edited by Jon89; 03-26-2024 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 03:26 PM

Update:

My two new wheel speed sensors arrived this afternoon. Unfortunately, SNG Barratt's system gave us the wrong part number and therefore they sent me the wrong sensors. Some of the last XK8s and XKRs built were fitted with wheel speed sensor part no. XR822753, and that is indeed what my wife's 2006 XK8 has (it was built during the final month of production, May 2005). So I am returning the two aftermarket LJA2226AA wheel speed sensors and have ordered a pair of aftermarket XR822753 wheel speed sensors instead (about $32 each). Unfortunately, they are not in stock at SNG Barratt USA and must therefore come from the UK. SNG Barratt says to expect them in about a week, but I know better. Two weeks if I am lucky. Stay tuned....
FCP Euro has Eurospare units in stock and they're a lot closer than the UK. URO brand <ugh> are on Amazon, as well as some Chinese knockoffs.

Old 03-27-2024, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for checking. I already ordered a pair from SNG Barratt yesterday, so I will give them a chance to fulfil my order. If they hold me up longer than expected, I will check with FCP Euro....

I always do everything I can to stay away from any URO part or Chinese knockoffs....

cjd777 (03-27-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

Update:

The two correct XR822753 aftermarket wheel speed sensors arrived from SNG Barratt this afternoon. Jacked the XK8's rear end up, removed the right rear wheel, removed the old sensor (one 8mm bolt), and installed one of the new sensors. Put the wheel back on, lowered the rear end, cleared all codes with my iCarsoft i930 scanner, and took off on a five-mile test jaunt....

Good news -- all dashboard warning lights and messages are now off. Now it is just a matter of doing the necessary idling and driving to clear all the evap system monitors....

With my luck, the other OEM rear wheel speed sensor will decide to quit on me soon. Glad I now have the correct spare for when it does....

Happy Motoring....

The following 3 users liked this post by Jon89:
michaelh (04-04-2024), RJ237 (04-04-2024), Y2KJag (04-04-2024)