XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

ABS light 2001 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
Fellas, I'm telling you, the ABS on the jaguar won't be able to be read by Autozone's $100 scanner. If they do, please post it here with a pic of their scanner showing the code, and I'll mail you each $50.

You are 100% Correct. AutoZone tried to read my 2001 XK8 and it would not read the codes and causes some big time problems with the ECM system!

Their action put my Jag into limp home mode and turned on the check engine light, transmission light. Several on and off cycles cleared the problem and put it back into the origional problem with the ABS, ASC and traction control messages showing.

Watch out folks! The OBDII has to have the Jaguar function included in the package to read Jag, found that out the hard way.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by bassmania
Hi Sam, will it work with an iphone 4?
iPhone??? LOLOLOLOL!!! You fell for the hype!

Just kidding! I just despise Apple products. Between me, my wife, and my daughters we've had four iPod Touches and every single one of them have been complete and utter pieces of junk. They just stop working out of the blue, completely locked up. We had so much trouble in the first year with them that we bought extended warranties for them, something I NEVER do with other products. Fortunately their warranties cover complete replacement of the product. In two years we had each one of them replaced at least twice. My wife's was replaced 5 times. The idiots at the Genius Bar kept telling us that it was our fault. However we each have our own computers and we were syncing the iPods on completely different computers. The idiots said it was because we were using Windows, but the way I see it, it is incumbent upon the seller of a product make sure it is compatible with the worlds most popular operating system, not the other way around.

Then, the idiots at the Genius Bar told me that no one else has these kinds of problems. It MUST be something we are doing. When he said that, the person standing in line behind me, who was obviously very irritated, said "THIS IS THE 3RD TIME I'VE HAD MINE REPLACED THIS MONTH! IT'S NOT JUST HIS!" The Genius Bar idiots saw me more frequently than most people because I actually had four different iPod Touches I was bringing in. They were seeing me every few days for a couple of months because they never had replacements in stock. I'd make my appointment knowing that it was going to have to be replaced, show up, they'd tell me that they needed to order one, and I'd come back 4 or 5 days later to pick it up. So, one broken iPod would take two round trips of about 30 miles each way to get fixed.

To top it off, the Genius Bar was always PACKED. You couldn't just show up, you had to make an appointment. Even then, I'd still end up waiting for 15 or 20 minutes for my turn. They don't have any chairs near the Genius bar, so about 10 to 15 people were always standing around, waiting for their turn to get their piece of junk repaired. The people were always either extremely unhappy with Apple, or they were complete and utter Kool-Aid drinkers. They thought Apple could do no wrong. I was in the "extremely unhappy" camp. Then the Genius Bar idiot would always act surprised that my iPod wasn't working, as if he'd never seen that problem before. It was obviously a script that they were trained to follow, because I could usually see 5 or 6 other people in line with completely dead iPods in their hands, waiting for their turn to bow at the feet of the Apple gods and beg for forgiveness for harming one of Apple's beautiful creatures.

Then there are the Apple lovers who tell me how Apple products are the most wonderful products in the world! They believe that Steve Jobs is a god, and they feel privileged to own a product that his company produced! They believe that Apple can do no wrong, so don't try to point out how Apple products are manufactured in China and their factory employees are forced to work 15 hour days and only get paid $50 per month They just won't believe you. And let's face it, Apple fans are usually left-wing kooks. They think that if we all just hold hands and sing Kumbaya, somehow the world's tyrants will suddenly turn nice, strawberries will start growing in the deserts of Africa, and cars will suddenly start running on grass clippings. Arguing with an Apple user is kinda like arguing with a religious fanatic. It doesn't matter what the FACTS are, if Apple says it, it must be true.

It turns out that Apple uses some of the same tactics that the Church of Scientology uses to indoctrinate disciples. They sell a mediocre but very pretty product based on hype. They buyers don't want to admit that they were "taken" by clever marketing, so they defend the product at all costs. In most cases they probably aren't doing it because they feel duped, they are doing it because they truly want to believe they spent their money on a superior product. They don't want to admit to themselves that they paid way to much for a product that is inferior to equivalent products in the marketplace. So they are willing to defend Apple to the death.

If you don't believe me, just google "ipod touch doesn't work". You'll get 179 million hits! And the idiots at the Genius Bar want me to believe that my problems are unique. Whatever...

About six months ago I bought an Android phone and ditched Apple for good. My Android phone has worked flawlessly for the last six months.

Oh yeah... to answer your question. I looked, and a Torque isn't available for the iPhone. Sorry.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

I am impressed, truly, that the android app can actually pull some non-drivetrain codes.

Unfortunately, isn't C1175 left REAR wheel sensor fault? And you say you pulled the left FRONT connector to initiate a code? I hope you went to the back and tore that corner apart looking for your suspect.
LOL! I just noticed that! I got a C1165 and a C1175 the yesterday when I left the plug in the tunnel disconnected. That made sense since the wires to the rear wheels go through the tunnel. But it's weird that I would get a C1175 for the front wheel!

This sucks, too, because I've been hearing the ABS clicking when I apply the brakes at low speed while turning lately. I know from past experience that that is a sign that I'm going to get the traction control error soon. I'm sure it's the right rear wheel speed sensor. For some reason that one seems to accumulate dirt much more rapidly than the others. I just wanted to be able to read the code and confirm it.

I wonder if the OBDII device itself is the issue, or if the car is just reporting the wrong code. I'd think that the OBD device would just pass the information on through to my phone. I don't think the device itself interprets the signals and assigns a code. That just doesn't make sense. But what do I know?

Old 03-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sam, I promise to never mention an Apple product again. Except my Iphone 4 which I LOVE.

Last edited by bassmania; 03-30-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

H2O what is the scanner that can read the code? Light came back on when I parked it last night.
I think maybe I know what it is (the problem, not the code).

You've got an intermittant, not a full-time fault. Two thngs become prime suspects in that case: wiring/connector to one of the front wheel sensors, or dirty sensors (and yours have been cleaned). A module problem is less likely, and a bad sensor is pretty much excluded.

If this is the right track, you might have poor contact in the connector at one of the front wheel sensors, or a broken wire within the short lengths of wire that lead to the sensors (these have to flex as the front wheels are turned left or right). Let's assume it's a connector, since that's easy to check as follows ...

Turn the steering wheel full-lock to the right. You can then easily get at the connector for the right front sensor (poke your head in the wheel well, front sde of the tire, follow the wiring. Open the connector, spray contact cleaner on each half, let it dry, reconnect (seating if firmly). Same with the left, of course.

Worth a try, since it's free and easy and this has turned out to be the trouble more than a few times.

Good luck.

Last edited by Dennis07; 03-31-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts
Old 03-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Damn Sam, now I have to get rid of my I-Phone 4, my I-Mac and my I-Book. Bummer!

Old 03-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by govatos
Damn Sam, now I have to get rid of my I-Phone 4, my I-Mac and my I-Book. Bummer!
Not yet!

Old 03-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Here ya go... Drink fast before the last dose wears off.

Attached Thumbnails ABS light 2001 XK8-kool-aid-man.jpg  
Old 03-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis07
If this is the right track, you might have poor contact in the connector at one of the front wheel sensors, or a broken wire within the short lengths of wire that lead to the sensors
True, this.

There are specific codes for the condition, one for L/F, another for R/F. My problem cleared up when I replaced the 3 foot whip that connects the sensor to the main wiring harness.

About $40 and 1/2 hour.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:35 PM

I took my car to the Jag dealer today to have the codes read. They said that there were no codes. The light has not been on for three days. The repairman said that it is probably the wiring connectors in the front wheels. Same thing dennis07 said. Makes since.

Thanks for the iphone info Gus. Man I'm thirsty. Gotta go drink a big glass of apple flavored Coolaid before I go to bed.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

Man I'm thirsty. Gotta go drink a big glass of apple flavored Coolaid before I go to bed.
LOL! This is just a guess, but I'd bet money that you and Govatos (especially Govatos) also have Starbucks cards in your wallet. Starbucks is another one of those Kool-Aid companies.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Sam, don’t think for a moment Kool-Aid is going to do it. Yes Coffee at Starbucks will work!!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
LOL! This is just a guess, but I'd bet money that you and Govatos (especially Govatos) also have Starbucks cards in your wallet. Starbucks is another one of those Kool-Aid companies.
I'll bet there are a few Harbor Freight coupons in Sam's wallet

Old 04-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fellas, I'm telling you, the ABS on the jaguar won't be able to be read by Autozone's $100 scanner. If they do, please post it here with a pic of their scanner showing the code, and I'll mail you each $50.
Does that apply to anyone? I woke up Saturday mourning to abs- trac and check engine lights on. Went on a search for any loose wires etc and found water in the trunk. Dried the water out, but did not see any obvious leaks. Took the car out and the abs light went out. I was getting intermittent trac indications and could feel and hear it coming on in the rear of the car. Drove towards autozone to see about the check engine light and it went out before getting there. still had them hook up and check for codes. I got P1111 print out for a GM car with IAT intermittent high information and C1175 with check manufactures for information that they could not print out. After some research, I realized the P1111 is pass for jags and the C1175 was rear wheel sensor. By the time I drove home, no more lights or abs coming on.
Now I have to fix the leak in the trunk as I am guessing the water played a part in this.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I'm curious kippy, was the scanner a 'handheld' unit, or a laptop?

Old 04-21-2011, 07:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it was a hand-held unit. Was curious to see what they would find. In reading about the ABS trac problems no else mentioned the check engine light. Would that normally come one with a ABS problem?

Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 AM

A couple of weeks ago I had my car washed, as I was driving off the abs and check engine lights came on. Very similar to your scenario, but with C1165 instead of C1175. I just took it out for a drive and they reset themselves. Don't you love the random "features" Jaguar have given us

Old 04-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Light

One of the signs that the wheel bearings are going is the ABS light comes on may want to have them checked.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pnorton28
One of the signs that the wheel bearings are going is the ABS light comes on may want to have them checked.
Not sure this is entirely correct can you elaborate?. The signs that I know it is a slight roar from the wheel on a turn or shifting lanes.

Quick Reply: ABS light 2001 XK8