Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Hi BobRoy,
If the leak is just a pinhole in the pipe, I wonder if it's possible to weld it?
I've read that someone (I think it was motorcarman) has done this on a trans cooler line, but the pressures are a lot higher in these pipes.

Take a look at these threads - the first is about the trans cooler line replace, but there may be a pic or two that will help - particularly the one from member Pete Mantell.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post2179685

The second is about replacing the AC compressor, but I put a link in to Gus' site that also may be of help.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...6/#post2390614

You will need a 1/4" or 3/8" drive set (plus around 18" of extensions) to get to those dratted compressor connectors.

Originally Posted by Lannyl81
There is some type of line clamp on the end of the left cylinder head or perhaps on the engine block that I have not been able to even see yet.
Lanny, that clamp just clips the AC line to a trans oil cooler line. You can see it in Pete Mantell's pic.

The following users liked this post:
BobRoy (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

Thank all of you for your responses.

Michael: The leak is in the rubber hose section so it has to be replaced. I tried the extensions to get to the 8mm bolt that holds the line ine the compressor and there wasn't room. The bolt is in line with the motor mount, there wasn't enough room for a 8mm socket on a 1/4" skinny ratchet I have fron HF. I think the ideal tool would be a long ratcheting wrench which I don't have. I use a 8mm wrench and was barely able to break it loose with my big *** hands. After I broke it loose I used the same big hands to loosen the bolt the rest of the way.
I took pictures and will do a more detailed write up when I have time.

I cut the line in two at the appropriate position of where the joint for the 2 piece will be. I cannot get the lower section of the pipe out. I think I have 2 choices of either lowering the steering rack or removing the compressor and get it out from the front. I'm leaning on removing the compressor.
Lanny I don't see how a you would be able to get a one piece line in unless you take the engine out. You might need to get a 2 piece.
I found the 2 piece lines online at a dealership in Livermore that is a out 100 miles from here but I can go home that way from work in Walnut Creek to pick them up. They show online both pieces for about $240. I will call in the morning to see the availability of the parts. The only good thing is Jaguar has a parts wherehouse somewhere in the Bay Area and if the have it it should only take a day or two to get them.

Old 07-12-2021, 11:24 AM
Received 8,075 Likes on 4,870 Posts

Displacing the steering rack is not difficult and will not affect the alignment upon re-installation.

Just remove the mount bolts and leave the column and tie rods connected.
It might give you a 'little' more wiggle room?

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
BobRoy (07-12-2021), michaelh (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Displacing the steering rack is not difficult and will not affect the alignment upon re-installation.

Just remove the mount bolts and leave the column and tie rods connected.
It might give you a 'little' more wiggle room?

Thank You sir.

Bob

Old 07-12-2021, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,502 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Curious, have you looked into repairing the line? Seems like crimp tools and ferules are available on eBay for maybe half the cost of these 2 new lines. Have to add a section of A/C hose to that of course. Would seem like the way to go long term for when Jaguar runs out of these lines. And when you have the tools to fix one car, you can fix them all?

BobRoy (07-12-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fmertz
Curious, have you looked into repairing the line? Seems like crimp tools and ferules are available on eBay for maybe half the cost of these 2 new lines. Have to add a section of A/C hose to that of course. Would seem like the way to go long term for when Jaguar runs out of these lines. And when you have the tools to fix one car, you can fix them all?

I never thought of that possibility. It could of been done but I would have need to remove the throttle boby due to the location of the leak.

I got the lower section out last night after taking the steering rack loose and moving it enough to give me room to get it out, thanks Motorcarman. It was still a very tight situation, I had to twist and turn to get it out.

I ordered the replacement lines yesterday and should have them in a couple of days.

Michaelh, see the pic below. The line wraps around a motormount and prevented access from the back with extensions. There was only about and inch of room between the motormount and the 8mm bolt. I couldn't even get a socket in there. I bought a 8mm ratcheting wrench yesterday and I think it will make the installation a little easier. Thank for the advice, it was worth the try.

Bob

Last edited by BobRoy; 07-13-2021 at 09:06 AM.
michaelh (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRoy
Michaelh, see the pic below. The line wraps around a motormount and prevented access from the back with extensions. There was only about and inch of room between the motormount and the 8mm bolt. I couldn't even get a socket in there. I bought a 8mm ratcheting wrench yesterday and I think it will make the installation a little easier.
Thanks, Bob. I clearly remember the difficult access even without the additional restriction of the steering rack, and I have to go back in there at some point as I managed to create a leak on that end when I put the new compressor in

'Orrible job.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:54 AM
Received 142 Likes on 83 Posts

michaelh - found that picture showing the clip holding the A/C lines on the back or the engine block/head...thank you.

bobroy - aaarrrggghhh!!!.....I am sooo not looking forward to replacing those lines. A/C is still working. Going on a short trip next week, 4 hr drive there, 4 hrs return.....fingers crossed...