XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Active suspension- How to check if its working correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 12:27 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Active suspension- How to check if its working correctly?

Hi All,

Is there a way, besides the "suspension fault" being illuminated on the center screen to know if you active shocks are still performing as they should?

I have an Icarsoft Jaguar code reader and for some reason on my x100 it couldn't communicate with the active suspension module. This got me thinking... if my code reader doesn't have that capability or my suspension is not working correctly.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 08-18-2020, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,518 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Disclaimer: I drive an XK8 with conventional shocks...

To my knowledge, the control module is in the trunk and can be "easily" disconnected/powered off. This is what folks do when they replace their active shocks with standard versions. Once the module is off, the rebound (the part that is active) defaults stiff, and is apparently quite noticeable on a subsequent drive.

The following users liked this post:
JaguarXKR (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

The CATS suspension is on the SCP network, which is notoriously slow and flakey. I have been able to connect to mine with SDD but not with my Foxwell scanner.

That said, the best way I know of to see if the system is working is to turn the car on and disconnect one of the shocks. You should get the FAULT message. Then the message should go away when you plug it back in.

If you don't see the fault message with a shock disconnected then there is something wrong with the control module. The fault indication is controlled by a single wire directly to the instrument cluster that the CATS controller grounds when it finds an issue. This is why disconnecting the module doesn't cause a fault, because that pin is still floating like it would be in the "good" condition.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by ccfulton
The CATS suspension is on the SCP network, which is notoriously slow and flakey. I have been able to connect to mine with SDD but not with my Foxwell scanner.

That said, the best way I know of to see if the system is working is to turn the car on and disconnect one of the shocks. You should get the FAULT message. Then the message should go away when you plug it back in.

If you don't see the fault message with a shock disconnected then there is something wrong with the control module. The fault indication is controlled by a single wire directly to the instrument cluster that the CATS controller grounds when it finds an issue. This is why disconnecting the module doesn't cause a fault, because that pin is still floating like it would be in the "good" condition.
Hi Charlie,

If I am understanding you correctly. If one of the shocks is unplugged/not working and the control module is connected it will show a fault. But if the control module is not working it won't show up on my dash? Wow, what a great design..

When the control module is not plugged in does the shocks revert to stiff?

Thanks.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

That is correct on both counts. If the control module is dead or unplugged you will never see a FAULT message and you shocks will be in stiff mode.

Old 08-19-2020, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 534 Likes on 384 Posts

Here is how I tested the CATS suspension on my 2001 XKR. I connected a multimeter to the drivers side front shock using Posi Taps. I ran the cable back to the cockpit so I could rest the multimeter on the dashboard. These are the values I got:-

Ign off 0v

Ign on 0v

Above 5kmh 5.7v (forward or in reverse)

0v means the shock is in stiff mode, 5.7v is soft. As you brake, accelerate hard or swerve or go over bumps at motorway speed, you should see the meter drop to 0v as the shocks switch modes. On mine I found the lateral accerleromoter in the ECU compartment wasn't working - I unplugged it, cleaned the connector and plugged it back in and it all works.

You should first check the fuses - a blown fuse won't trigger a fault message, unplugging a shock will.

The following 4 users liked this post by dibbit:
JaguarXKR (08-19-2020), Johnken (08-19-2020), PKWise (08-19-2020), XKR-DAY (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by dibbit
Here is how I tested the CATS suspension on my 2001 XKR. I connected a multimeter to the drivers side front shock using Posi Taps. I ran the cable back to the cockpit so I could rest the multimeter on the dashboard. These are the values I got:-

Ign off 0v

Ign on 0v

Above 5kmh 5.7v (forward or in reverse)

0v means the shock is in stiff mode, 5.7v is soft. As you brake, accelerate hard or swerve or go over bumps at motorway speed, you should see the meter drop to 0v as the shocks switch modes. On mine I found the lateral accerleromoter in the ECU compartment wasn't working - I unplugged it, cleaned the connector and plugged it back in and it all works.

You should first check the fuses - a blown fuse won't trigger a fault message, unplugging a shock will.
Thanks!! This answers my question. Can I unplug my shock without damaging anything?

Kinda backwards to go into stiff mode when going over rough roads

Old 08-20-2020, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 534 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarXKR
Thanks!! This answers my question. Can I unplug my shock without damaging anything?

Kinda backwards to go into stiff mode when going over rough roads
Yes you can unplug it safely - the shocks all default to hard mode - the electronics must be designed to withstand this as it detects it's not connected.

Trust me that at 80mph you want the shocks in stiff mode if the road isn't smooth - it's not much fun bouncing around at that speed.