XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Adaptive CATS shocks vs standard shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 01:22 PM
Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Adaptive CATS shocks vs standard shocks?

I have CATS on the car at the moment but they will need replacing most likely in the next few years. Is it really a downgrade going for the standard shocks? They are a lot cheaper. I am at abotu 14 inches on both of my front wheels and 15 inches on one side of the rears. The other is at 14.5 I think.

Old 10-15-2021, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

not really

Old 10-16-2021, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts

I would be very reluctant to get rid of my CATs shocks and downgrade to normal ones. My convertible on 20" wheels gives a super comfortable ride, firming up when it has to when you go over bumps or round corners. At what point do you stop downgrading your car rather than fixing it properly? You will end up driving a 4 cylinder with manual windows, no power steering and a starting handle otherwise.

You could also look into getting your existing shocks rebuilt. Bilstein has a rebuild service in the UK - it might be worth asking them what the cost would be:-

https://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/pa...ebuild-service

Old 10-16-2021, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by dibbit
I would be very reluctant to get rid of my CATs shocks and downgrade to normal ones. My convertible on 20" wheels gives a super comfortable ride, firming up when it has to when you go over bumps or round corners. At what point do you stop downgrading your car rather than fixing it properly? You will end up driving a 4 cylinder with manual windows, no power steering and a starting handle otherwise.

You could also look into getting your existing shocks rebuilt. Bilstein has a rebuild service in the UK - it might be worth asking them what the cost would be:-

True and although they are more expensive it's not a massive difference. Do you know if the sports R model shocks are much different to the normal adaptive shocks?

Old 10-16-2021, 06:22 AM

Do you know if the sports R model shocks are much different to the normal adaptive shocks?

Old 10-16-2021, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuddlesworth
Do you know if the sports R model shocks are much different to the normal adaptive shocks?
Sorry I don't know. What has your car got?

Old 10-16-2021, 08:49 AM

Sorry I don't know. What has your car got?
I have the CATS adaptive shocks but I have no idea if they are the R package shocks or the regular adaptive shocks. As far as I know there is no way of knowing the difference?

Old 10-16-2021, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,156 Likes on 746 Posts

According to a bilstein rep l contacted, ACD dampers are not rebuildable.

Old 10-16-2021, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

I have the CATS adaptive shocks but I have no idea if they are the R package shocks or the regular adaptive shocks. As far as I know there is no way of knowing the difference?
If you can access the build sheet for your car it will tell you if the R performance package is fitted. Ford Etis used to allow this but seems to have stopped working.
If original l think your shocks would have the part number stamped, as in the pic of mine. Note in the pic however the part number is stamped MXD 2141 AA which is one digit off the published part number which is MXD 2140 AA

Last edited by baxtor; 10-16-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by baxtor
If you can access the build sheet for your car it will tell you if the R performance package is fitted. Ford Etis used to allow this but seems to have stopped working.
If original l think your shocks would have the part number stamped, as in the pic of mine. Note in the pic however the part number is stamped MXD 2141 AA which is one digit off the published part number which is MXD 2140 AA
Ford Etis don't have my VIN so I will need to have a look at the shocks in question. Are yours the R package adaptive shocks or the regular ones so I can match the part number? I might have a go at emailing Jaguar directly to see if they will send me a build sheet. Worth a try at least.

Old 10-16-2021, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member

Ford Etis don't have my VIN so I will need to have a look at the shocks in question. Are yours the R package adaptive shocks or the regular ones so I can match the part number? I might have a go at emailing Jaguar directly to see if they will send me a build sheet. Worth a try at least.
Mine are R handling. You will only need the prefix from the shock anyway. MXD is "R" performance.
No need to even look any further if your car is not a coupe, since "R" handling was not fitted to convertibles.

Last edited by baxtor; 10-16-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:44 PM

Mine are R handling. You will only need the prefix from the shock anyway. MXD is "R" performance.
No need to even look any further if your car is not a coupe, since "R" handling was not fitted to convertibles.
I will have a look as soon as it gets light outside. It's dark up here at the moment. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-17-2021, 01:48 AM

I had a look at them and there is no way to read it anymore because the surface is too heavily corroded and covered in crap. The springs look like they are green though if that means anything? How comfortable are the R shocks on rough roads.

Old 10-17-2021, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member

I had a look at them and there is no way to read it anymore because the surface is too heavily corroded and covered in crap. The springs look like they are green though if that means anything? How comfortable are the R shocks on rough roads.
Not sure if you mean entire spring is green or are marked with splash of green. R springs should have splash of white and pink from memory.
Another clue might be had by checking your steering rack for MXD prefix. All part of the same package so if you have one you have the other. Info plate on the rack is clearly visible from under car.

Old 10-17-2021, 03:08 AM

Not sure if you mean entire spring is green or are marked with splash of green. R springs should have splash of white and pink from memory.
Another clue might be had by checking your steering rack for MXD prefix. All part of the same package so if you have one you have the other. Info plate on the rack is clearly visible from under car.
Just the springs are green, the shocks are black. But the springs are rather dirty so it may be hiding some other colours. I will check the rack plate.

My steering rack prefix is MJC so I assume that is the standard rack? Does the MXD steering rack have a shorter lock to lock? That must mean I have the standard adaptive shocks. Thanks for the help. Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade the shocks when I come to replace them with the MXD parts. Would you upgrade the steering rack as well if it's quicker. Although I would thik they are pretty expensive.

Last edited by Kuddlesworth; 10-17-2021 at 03:15 AM.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member

Just the springs are green, the shocks are black. But the springs are rather dirty so it may be hiding some other colours. I will check the rack plate.

My steering rack prefix is MJC so I assume that is the standard rack? Does the MXD steering rack have a shorter lock to lock? That must mean I have the standard adaptive shocks. Thanks for the help. Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade the shocks when I come to replace them with the MXD parts. Would you upgrade the steering rack as well if it's quicker. Although I would thik they are pretty expensive.
All those are questions of your personal preference, entirely up to you. The dampers will be much the same cost for adaptive regardless of the specifics. The steering rack (it is shorter lock to lock and increased feel) might be found fairly reasonably priced where you are.
I have only ever had the rack l have so can't give a comparative view but l am very happy with the feel and speed of the steering response.

Old 10-17-2021, 04:06 AM

All those are questions of your personal preference, entirely up to you. The dampers will be much the same cost for adaptive regardless of the specifics. The steering rack (it is shorter lock to lock and increased feel) might be found fairly reasonably priced where you are.
I have only ever had the rack l have so can't give a comparative view but l am very happy with the feel and speed of the steering response.
Fair enough, thanks for the help. I will probably just go with the standard adaptive shock, I would assume the R package shocks will be less comfortable on my roads. I can't find the R steering rack online, Jaguar used to sell them directly but they are most likely out of stock now. It's not a big deal to be honest.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

Baxtor,,

I've already made that mistake about the Convertible not having the "R" Package! THEY DO!

I was corrected about a Month ago as some of the 2005 - 2006 Convertibles have been fitted with the Package....I really don't know about the earlier XK8/R's but some of the 2005 - 2006's have it!

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch - Houston

Old 10-20-2021, 11:49 AM

I asked Jaguar for a build sheet for my car and they got back to me. All looks pretty normal but what does "Super Sport Suspension" mean? The CATS suspension is listed separately. This is my list:Automatic Transmission

Boot Spoiler

Mirrors with Interior & Exterior Electrochromic Function

Audio & Cassette

Heated Front Seats

* Premium Sound

Performance Seat

High Performance Brakes Solid Disc

* Reverse Park Control

Super Sport Suspension

Alloy Space Saver Wheel

* F9 R10 x 20 Detroit Wheels

Adaptive Damping (CATS)

Headlamp Powerwash

Rain Sensitive Wipers

Xenon Headlights

* Heated Front Windscreen

Intrusion Sensing

Warning Triangle

Wood/leather Strg Wheel

CD Autochanger

Cruise Control

Mirrors with Exterior Powerfold Function

Memory Function

Drvr=12 way Pass=12 way Rec.

Carpet Footwell Mats

2004 Model Year Parts

Old 10-20-2021, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

Kuddlesworth,

Don't know for sure but that's probably what they call the "R" Package on the newer Jags.....

Billy Clyde

Quick Reply: Adaptive CATS shocks vs standard shocks?