XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Adaptive Suspension Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 05:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adaptive Suspension Diagnosis

Hi everyone.

I just replaced all front and rear bushings, including wheel bearings and the shock mounts and lower shock bushings on my 2003 XKR with R Performance Package. While the car feels much better as everything was shot, I am not sure the adaptive shocks are working properly. Car is not smooth.

Therefore before making a decision on getting adaptive shocks or standard shocks I want to properly diagnose the Adaptive system.

Things to note:
- I cannot communicate with the ADCM. I see the module but it says communication lost. Using Foxwell with JLR software.
- No faults on the dash.
- If I disconnect the wire to a shock I get a suspension fault.
- Connected a voltmeter to the front shock, when parked it reads about 1 volt, when I drive it reads OL.
- Tried reading ohms and volts of the ADCM but not sure if I am doing it correctly.
- Also I realised the 35 pin ADCM connector does not have all the same wiring as in the diagram that I found in the forum.

Please advise.
2003 XKR R Performance - 70k miles

Thanks

Old 04-28-2023, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Dargam
Hi everyone.

I just replaced all front and rear bushings, including wheel bearings and the shock mounts and lower shock bushings on my 2003 XKR with R Performance Package. While the car feels much better as everything was shot, I am not sure the adaptive shocks are working properly. Car is not smooth.

Therefore before making a decision on getting adaptive shocks or standard shocks I want to properly diagnose the Adaptive system.

Things to note:
- I cannot communicate with the ADCM. I see the module but it says communication lost. Using Foxwell with JLR software.
- No faults on the dash.
- If I disconnect the wire to a shock I get a suspension fault.
- Connected a voltmeter to the front shock, when parked it reads about 1 volt, when I drive it reads OL.
- Tried reading ohms and volts of the ADCM but not sure if I am doing it correctly.
- Also I realised the 35 pin ADCM connector does not have all the same wiring as in the diagram that I found in the forum.

Please advise.
2003 XKR R Performance - 70k miles

Thanks
I had similar issue re communication with my module using both icarsoft and IDS but after updating the icarsoft firmware it communicates fine now.
Have you driven it with module both unplugged and connected, notice any difference?
voltage at damper, ignition on stationary, both wires should show battery voltage, one of those switches to ground when activated but you won't be able to do that sitting there. To check continuity you need to unplug module and check all your pairs, diagram will give you all the pin numbers.

Old 05-05-2023, 07:31 PM

Thank you baxtor,

I will check and report back. I had a gallbladder removal so did not work on the car.

Greatly appreciated.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Dargam
Thank you baxtor,

I will check and report back. I had a gallbladder removal so did not work on the car.

Greatly appreciated.
Best of luck in your recovery.

Z

PS : not to get overly personal, but is having a gallbladder optional ?

Old 08-16-2023, 02:13 PM

I've successfully established communication with the ADCM module. While the car is parked, it displays a firm setting; however, when in motion, it shifts to the soft setting. No error codes are present.

Despite the absence of leaks, the suspension still feels rough.

I'm considering replacing all springs with Adamesh and installing new adaptive shocks/struts. Should I opt for the sport or normal option? If I switch to the normal setting, will the ADCM unit also need replacement?

Thank you.