XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Adding a Garmin GPS

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Adding a Garmin GPS

After finding that even though I had a speaker, and all the buttons, I do not have a telephone Blue Tooth set up. I decided to add a Garmin GPS system to my XK. It has Blue tooth, backup camera, and all fits into the left corner of my windshield, out of my driving line-of-site. Also, updates, wirelessly.
I have tied it into the CB panel on the left fascia. Trouble is, all the CB's that I see are always 'Hot'. Using my owner's manual, which is not real accurate(20 CH's vs. 18 in the manual), I cannot find an ignition switched CB. I can turn the GPS on/Off at each start up, but would prefer a switched CB. Anyone know which if any is switched? Also need one on the left fascia for a radar detector.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Why not just run a fused wire to the fuse box on the side of the dash? Plenty of room to get it there painlessly, easy enough to find an ignition switched fuse.

In case you didn't know, they make connectors designed for this. Looks like a spade connector with a J shaped rolled bottom edge. Fuse sits right in the J roll, fuse + tap wire slips into fuse socket. I always use the "hot" side of the fuse so as not to increase load on that fuse, like I said the tap wire is fused separately.

John

The following users liked this post:
ozbot (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 959 Likes on 450 Posts

The top 20 amp fuse on the left side of the passenger side fuse box is switched. I used this for my radar detector
using a spade connector like John described. I used the rail securing the bottom of the glove box for the ground.
The wire was easy to fish up behind the plastic to the dash board and then I ran the wire between the dash board
and wind shield. It is completely hidden except in the middle of the dash board where it comes out to plug into
the unit. Best of luck and best of health.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

I am using a 'double' fuse connector. May be what you are both recommending. It replaces a fuse with a fused wire and the existing fuse. Just plugs into the fuse box, and supplies a positive wire out. The trouble is finding a switched fuse on the drivers(left/US) side fascia box. I am bringing the wire out thru the cover, and up the edge of the dash. Works great, as long as I remember to turn GPS off. Similar setup on the right side for my radar detector.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Sam, it's there d(river side fuse box) I use one for my remote steering wheel telescoping tilting switches.
for anyone now scratching their head: when I got the car the movement was intermittent at best. I quickly, with everyones help here, became quite familiar with the workings of the tilt/tele feature. Found that the motor work just fine, it was something between the switch and the BPM causing an issue. Bought 2 12volt relays, designed a wiring plan to connect them to 4 momentary on micro switches, created a piece of Indian rosewood to fit right in the blank hole in the lower valance across from the valet switch. Working perfectly for years.

BTW- a year or two into this new set up my headlight switch stalk went defective. Guess what - the tilt switch wires run in that stalks' harness. Replaced the headlight stalk = fixed intermittent tilt switch.

Sam if you want me to take a photo of the fuse just ask.

John