XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Additional intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Additional intercooler?

What do you think of placing another air to water IC before existing intercooling manifolds?

I'm during the proces of adapting Kenne Bell 2.2 supercharger on my XKR. I can:

1. CNC machine simple adaptor connecting new blower with stock intake manifold ('V8' mark on it)

or

2. CNC machine completely new adaptor connecting supercharger with intercooling manifolds. It might have built-in air to water intercooler that would be connected with big front chargecooler. With 50% cooling efficiency I hope to achive I wouldn't have to go for water/methanol injection.

What are your opinions?

Old 07-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

The stock intercooler is actually pretty good as far as the heat exchanger goes, it looks more like a heater core than a typical factory intercooler.

My opinion is that adding another radiator right at the S/C outlet could cost you more as a flow restriction than it would gain you in air temp. I don't have any scientific evidence to support this, but it's what intuition tells me.

I would highly recommend chemically cleaning the stock intercoolers, as they get pretty gummed up with oil sludge from the part load breather. After that, a catch can will help keep the gunk to a minimum.

Also, the V8 piece itself does present some restriction so if you have the capability, there might be value in CNC machining a new outlet rather than using an adapter plate.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:41 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You are right - another radiator's resistance will probably consume little power. But running with lower charge temps decrease risk of detonation - that is why I consider placing another heat exchanger.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:35 AM
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Killer chiller.... Genius in my opinion.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Twin screws in my past experience (Not on Jags) tend to have lower ACT at higher boost than roots blowers or the twin helix design such as our eatons. The Twin screws also however compress air unlike the eatons which move air only. In data logs Ive noticed increased ACT at lower boost pressures and around town driving than with the eatons. What this could possably mean is a higher chance of heat soak, a point in which the heat exchanger cannot effectively disperse the heat.

I know there are people who have logged ACT on the jaguars and from my understanding they feel as is the IC's and heat exchanger works well. I can tell you modifying the blower hat allthough restrictive looking will net little to no gain. If you add an additional heat exchanger prior to water flowing into the IC's it cant hurt. Either could increasing actual intercooler capacity. Havent seen anyone do that yet