XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Adjusting shock mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 09:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adjusting shock mount

So I just replaced all the suspension parts in my 2005 XK8 even the shock bushing where the bolt goes through. However when the everything is in the shock bushing is a bit crooked and I think thats why I had to replace the bushings in the first place. So my question is: can I loosen the shock mount main bolt (not the three nuts that hold it in place) and be able to turn it just a bit so that everything lines up? Yes I know that the spring is under A TON of pressure (I ve already replace the original shock mount with new ones) but the new ones are really compressed and I think I tightened it too tight to begin with.

thanks
Mav

Old 04-11-2020, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,418 Likes on 755 Posts
Default I take it you have spring compressors

Mav,

Yep I did that when I refreshed my front suspension. When I zipped up, the front mount wasn’t centric, so I put back on the spring compressors with just a bit of torque, moved the upper bolt central and then released the tension.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidYau
Mav,

Yep I did that when I refreshed my front suspension. When I zipped up, the front mount wasn’t centric, so I put back on the spring compressors with just a bit of torque, moved the upper bolt central and then released the tension.
i was trying to not use the spring compressors. Its all torqued down in place. Like its ready to drive and dont want to take it off again. Do you think i can just loosen the centric nut and twist by hand to line it up?

Old 04-11-2020, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,418 Likes on 755 Posts
Default I just put my spring compressors on in the wheel whell

Not sure what spring compressors you have but I adjusted mine, without disassembly.

Jacked the car up. There was enough room in the wheel well to just put the compressors on the spring, tightened car springs enough to let me loosen the shock upper nut. This then let me use a rubber mallet to tap the shock nut in position before tightening. Then just released the spring compressors.

The nut has has to be central otherwise you may get alignment problems.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Sorry to say you will have to use spring compressor. The nut doesn’t play much of a role expect to limit the maximum travel of the spring. When in the car under load, it really doesn’t even need to be there.

There is too much pressure on the spring perch to let you turn the shock without compressing the spring.

The following users liked this post:
XKRRANDY (05-16-2022)
Old 04-12-2020, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 710 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Counter Point

I also managed to assemble and mount my front shock assy out of alignment.

Before I was willing to pull it apart etc I loosened the bottom shock bolt, gave it a spritz with silicone spray.

Then removed the upper nut in order to see the number of threads, then put the top nut back on with only the top tread depth (of the shock stud) of the nut. I pulled it out of the garage, drove it @ 30 meters (my driveway isn't perfectly smooth) and I heard the shock rattle as one would expect a loose shock to rattle...then a louder clink. Pulled it back in the garage and the bottom was centered as it should have been from the start, tightened all fasteners and life is good.

wj

The following 2 users liked this post by wymjym:
DavidYau (04-12-2020), XKRRANDY (05-16-2022)