Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Advice on Window Tinting

I have been researching window tinting and am getting ready to pull the triger. I've decided to go with a Huper Optic tint, which is a ceramic tint. I found a local shop to do the application. This tint has very good heat reflection properties. However, I wanted to get input from this forum regarding tinting in general and the recommended level of tinting. Here in Texas the back and rear side windows are unrestricted as far as the level of tint and the front side windows must allow 25% of the light through. The windshield is limited to tinting only at the top. All advice is welcome. Thanks,

Mark

Old 02-06-2012, 02:58 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

MJ;

I wrote about this on another thread here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rtfolio-59292/

I would add to my thoughts there that our MINI has very dark tinted windows, they match the roof pillars the tint is so dark, previous owner, and I don't ever back into the garage unless the garage lights are on because you really can't see well enough out the back window. Even with lighter tints that is an issue I had with the Mercedes.

When folks are thinking about window tint they are usually only thinking about the day benefits without thinking about the dramatic night time negatives of tinting.

That said you gotta do something in Texas with all of that darn sunshine.

cheers,

jj

Old 02-06-2012, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Just done an XK, went with 35% all round except the front screen obviously, not massively noticable in the day (thats a good thing) but does look a lot darker at night

Old 02-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

The previous owner had tinted my windows. I found that the heater wires on the rear window caused distortion as the tint film wrapped around the wires. I ended up removing the rear tint and kept the rest.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
The previous owner had tinted my windows. I found that the heater wires on the rear window caused distortion as the tint film wrapped around the wires. I ended up removing the rear tint and kept the rest.
Did this occur as the result of use of the rear window defogger or simply because of the presence of the defogger wires?

Mark

Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

It appeared to be just the presence of the wires. It was a professional install. It would be something to discuss with your installer at the very least.

I found it very annoying, especially with the small rear window on the convertible. If the window is larger on the coupe, perhaps the wider view would make it slightly less offensive.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-06-2012 at 11:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
mjlaris (02-06-2012), Muddydog (11-28-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
It appeared to be just the presence of the wires. It was a professional install. It would be something to discuss with your installer at the very least.

I found it very annoying, especially with the small rear window on the convertible. If the window is larger on the coupe, perhaps the wider view would make it slightly less offensive.
Thanks for the heads up Steve, I will discuss this with the installer before I make any final decisions.

Mark

Old 02-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mjlaris
I have been researching window tinting and am getting ready to pull the triger. I've decided to go with a Huper Optic tint, which is a ceramic tint. I found a local shop to do the application. This tint has very good heat reflection properties. However, I wanted to get input from this forum regarding tinting in general and the recommended level of tinting. Here in Texas the back and rear side windows are unrestricted as far as the level of tint and the front side windows must allow 25% of the light through. The windshield is limited to tinting only at the top. All advice is welcome. Thanks,

Mark
Mark, my advice is to tint the rear-side windows the same as the front-side windows. Otherwise, IMHO, with a darker tint on that little rear-side window, it's going to look bad. I had mine done the same and it looks great!

John

The following users liked this post:
mjlaris (02-06-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SPIJohn
Mark, my advice is to tint the rear-side windows the same as the front-side windows. Otherwise, IMHO, with a darker tint on that little rear-side window, it's going to look bad. I had mine done the same and it looks great!

John
Thanks SPIJohn, that sounds like good advice. I believe I'll do it that way.

Mark

Old 02-07-2012, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member

We are not allowed to do that here in the UK

Apparently the Jaguar window is as dark as technically allowed, the rear and quarter windows we could have completely filled in if we wished, but the drivers and passenger are not suppose to be touched!

It is all to do with driving at night in rural surroundings, apparently it can impare your vision, a bit like wearing shades at night....... :|

Old 02-07-2012, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
We are not allowed to do that here in the UK
That might be a good thing(tm) when shopping for used vehicles. None of them have rear tint.

Anyone who has driven a car with tinted rear windows would know how hard it is to reverse it into a parking spot in anything other than bright sunlight. It's even hard to keep track of who is behind you in daytime traffic.

Additionally, driving behind cars with rear tint is a pain because you cannot see what is ahead of the other car by looking through their rear window. You can only try seeing around them. Not a problem for urban assault vehicles, but problematic in traffic for low slung cars.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:17 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

XK That is exactly the point I was trying to make in the other thread linked above.

Side window tints are dangerous. Not everything you need to see at night has lights on it like cars, if those are even turned on.

Plums seconds my points about parking etc.

Good luck MJ and be careful,

jj

Old 02-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Here's a pic of the XK I have just done, I had to take this pic without the flash otherwise they don't look no different, these are 35% all sides and rear, I reckon you will get away with that as the most anything more might like a bit too pimped......

For some reason that last comment made me laugh

Name:  IMG_4313.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  47.7 KB

Muddydog (11-28-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

"I've decided to go with a Huper Optic tint,"

Excellent Choice we have that on the PBTW car and it is fantastic,,, The previous owner had it installed. I do believe that we have 25% on all the windows except the front windshield which is fully tinted with 35%...

Great UV protection with this film...

We have no problems at night... You do have to be careful on the back window thou,,, Make sure that the installer DOES NOT put his blade thru the heating element on the window if he cuts it,,,, that section WILL NOT WORK...

Good Luck and let us know how it goes

Old 02-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Great Count, that's exactly the advice I was looking for and more. The window tinting place is now telling me they can't use the Huper Optic because it's ceramic and the XKR's windows are too curved. I may need to find another shop but I've had trouble finding auto tinting shops that use Huper Optic film.

Mark

Old 02-07-2012, 02:35 PM

Click the link-Window Film Manufacturers, Distributors, Residential, Commercial, Automotive, Marine, Companies

Give them a shout and see if there is an installer close by...

Or shoot down here lets go fishing while your is done....

Dolphin, Tuna and Sails are hitting hard...

Click here-Jupiter Inlet District

mjlaris (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

This is just the greatest forum, mainly because of members like you Count. Unfortunantly, I can't get away right now but I appriciate the invite. Thanks for the link.

Mark

Old 02-07-2012, 02:47 PM

No Problem: Invite is always open to you and anyone on this Forum,,, BTW I am 57 miles from the Bahamas if you have a Passport,,, Great Diving and Fishing there...

The PBTW has family in Sugarland,,, Been looking for a second car and Texas is on the list of preferred states to buy for me...

Old 02-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

I live about an hour west of Fort Worth (about 10 miles past where Jesus lost his sandles) but if you find your way out this far or need someone to check out a car for you, let me know.

Mark

Old 02-07-2012, 02:57 PM

"I live about an hour west of Fort Worth (about 10 miles past where Jesus lost his sandles) but if you find your way out this far or need someone to check out a car for you, let me know."

Will Do,,, Thank you

Quick Reply: Advice on Window Tinting