XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

aftermarket coolant temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by RichardPratt
I have seen it go as high as 135 on a real hot day and the jag gauge is still dead center.
135C = 275F You sure your add in gauge is calibrated right? Wouldn't the coolant boil and overflow at that temperature, even with the 15 psi pressure cap + I would expect all sorts of warnings before that level ?

Last edited by Stumpy; 08-30-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:40 AM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

A few years ago after an overheat scare I installed a digital gauge on my '97. Since I did not want to replace one of the Jag gauges with a non matching one I was able, with a little backyard fab work, to install it in the flip out glasses holder...........................
Pleased to hear you've found a use for the 'glasses holder' because I've never had a pair of glasses that fit into it.

Graham

Old 08-31-2012, 07:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aftermarket temp gauge

Sorry about that, should have been 235 F.

The following users liked this post:
Stumpy (08-31-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I've always liked gages in all my cars; I'm an engineer and naturally like to monitor any machine that I operate. Since I got my XKR I've been looking for a way to add gages but I did not want to loose the sat nav system either. I finally found the solution a few weeks ago from a company called Radar Mirror. In addition to high end radar detector systems, the also sell electronic gages, which they will integrate into your existing rear view mirror (see photo). It allows me to maintain the factory look of my car, while still upgrading its capabilities. I will be installing this, in combination with WhiteXKR's RealGage mod, into my 2002 XKR in a couple weeks. Using RealGage from WhiteXKR, I'll convert the existing coolant gage into an actual working gage. Then with the RadarMirror and AEM digital gages, I'll be adding a working oil pressure and voltmeter gage.

Mark

Last edited by mjlaris; 08-31-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that is really slick, how expensive was it?

Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry about that, should have been 235 F.

I thought so.

In My Corvette, It would do the same thing. The temp would get up to 235 and then the fan would come on & it would drop like a rock to around 195 and startt over again.

I ordered the kit for the temp gauge and am looking forward to hooking it up. I will in time get the kit for the oil gauge as well.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Now that is really slick, how expensive was it?
Actually, it was a little pricey but anything for my baby. The digital gages were about $300 and the modifications (I removed and sent in my original review mirror) to the mirror was $500. But I really wanted the gages and I do not want to mess up the factory look of my XKR. I have selected all my mods carefully to add the functionally I want and complement the original look.

I found this place while looking for a birthday present for my business partner. He drives a Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa and I got him a Passport 9500ci radar detector system with the display integrated into his mirror. I don't really push the speed limit much so don't need a system like this but when I saw the digital gages I knew I had found the solution to my problem of how to install the gages I wanted, keep the sat nav and maintain the factory look.

Mark

Old 09-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Not directly related to this thread but since we are talking about coolant temps I did have a question. When I had my Corvette one of the first things that I did (based on reading posts from other Vette owners) was to install a lower temp thermostat (180-degrees) and also programming the fans to come on earlier. The car definitely ran cooler and it caused NO problems in the moderate SoCal temperatures.

Has anyone installed a lower temp thermostat (the only one I have seen advertised is from Eurotoys)? For maximum benefit it would also be necessary to reprogram the fans but I don't think this is easily done without some type of sophisticated diagnostic equipment.

Doug

Old 09-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Has anyone installed a lower temp thermostat (the only one I have seen advertised is from Eurotoys)? For maximum benefit it would also be necessary to reprogram the fans
I think for most people the cooling system operates well and within the design temperatures. UNLESS there is a coolant system fault/problem, then the original gauge/warning system is not really helpful, to the point that damage to the engine can occur. Hence the various discussions about aftermarket gauges.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default RealGauge

I would recommend the afore mentioned RealGauge from jagwrangler.com. It is an easy install for an experienced DIY'er and maintains the original look. I installed both the coolant temp. and the oil pressure upgrades and am very pleased.

A good investment for those who want to keep on top of things as they develop...

Old 09-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

I installed the RealGauge temp module recently. Easier to do than I expected and I got to see what lives inside my dashboard. It's very satisfying to know I have a working gauge now and not an animated idiot light.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been shooting the coolant temperature with an IR gun and noticed my coolant temperature had increased by 15 F. If I had relied on the idiot gauge I would not have been alerted to the potential problem (water pump). RealGauge! and the "history" feature is what I need.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

There are units available on ebay that have:

-- digital display (orange or blue digits depending on model)
-- relay control circuit
-- programmable low and high limit
-- programmable hysteresis
-- programmable temperature offset for compensation

having the programmable features means it can also be used to control a audible alert or used as a substitute for a failed fan controller module.

$25 or so.

Last edited by plums; 11-30-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

RealGauge has audible alarms for both coolant temperature and oil pressure (even the coolant only version has the oil pressure alarm). They are preset to warn when you begin to hit a danger zone.

It is designed specifically for these cars and to blend in seamlessly. You do not need to add a cheap plastic box with a display to your interior.

And good luck getting support for your $25 ebay purchase.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

People have been looking for alternatives to failed fan controls for ages. This is a viable option. There is nothing wrong with exposing alternatives to members. Some members may even prefer fully mechanical coolant temperature gauges. There are also various other uses for the device. For example, transmission temperature or differential temperature. A rotary selection switch and additional thermocouples can put it all in one display unit.

As for support, it's two wires and a thermocouple. Not terribly complicated at all. It is certainly not beyond the skills of anyone who can connect to a switched power source and ground.

Redline (01-15-2017)
Old 11-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

+1 on the real gauge solution. Did it and am very pleased with the Jag gauge finally doing it right.

WhiteXKR (12-05-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 690 Likes on 560 Posts

Another +1 on the RealGauge solution. Easily one of the best investments I've made on my car. Love knowing what's really going on under the hood. And when I have a car guy riding shotgun, it keeps the "real" car factor where it needs to be.

A highly recommended addition for many reasons.

WhiteXKR (12-05-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
This is an old posting. My company now offers a solution. See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...04/#post525886
I bought the real guage kit and had it installed. (I am not that brave.) My Indy had a heart attack but it is in and working. I feel better now. I was considering replacing the temp & oil gauges with aftermarket ones. I just decided that would be too much work and it is hard to find classy gauges these days.

WhiteXKR (12-05-2012)
Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Marsden
To the point: More and more mfrs are now deleting even the temperature gauge. They've learned previously that many people would add oil if their oil-pressure reading was low, so they deleted the oil-pressure gauge awhile back. Not sure how people were responding to low temp readings. Not sure I want to know.

Remember the phrase "idiot lights"?
Similar idiots quickly attempted to check coolant and think they could top off. Scalding insured!! They could read a gage, but couldn't read the "do not open while hot" warnings!!!!

Old 02-26-2020, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's exactly what happened with my 2010 XK 5.0. The water pump failed, while the previous owner was on a trip, and fried the engine, to the tune of $11,000 for a used one with 17K miles. Sure wish there was a temp. gauge I could put somewhere.
Double D

Quick Reply: aftermarket coolant temp gauge