XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket nav update

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket nav update

Hi all, I just posted the latest Photo of my project. Looks very good in dash and has acceptable finish worthy of being in my car. the USB update port is on the left,(could not go to A type port but cable will come with unit). Switch may change to unlighted because I think it just will look better. Projected cost is under $500 US, Far less than most other options. For you EU guys I cannot find any acceptable GPS unit in the US market that offers your maps. Any information on a 5 to 5.4 inch unit not over .750 thick with maps avail can be used and I would sure like to hear from anyone who knows of one. Install is still quick, simple, and completely reversible. Will be available for first shipments around 3/1/10. Anyone have any interest. comments and questions please.

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket nav update-jagnavrev4.jpg  
Old 02-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Default Cool

Hi there,
I was quite bogged considering the options of changing that crap, could you tell me more or email me with some photos?
Thanks

Old 02-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I am interested. Please provide additional pictures and technology info.

Thanks

Tim V.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Me too - where are the "controls" and "input" functions? daled

Old 02-27-2010, 11:18 AM

The photo in my album is the latest incarnation of the project. I will be posting new ones soon. The units that will be available are are all Handmade as far as the mount and integration into the cars electrical system. I am making sure that the entire process can be returned to orginal at any time, and that the new system will function under most all conditions found as relates to GPS signal reception,interior temperatures.etc:. the units I am using are Magellan 5.0" touch screen and do not reguire external controls like the old junk from Jag. the only external controls are the on/off switch on the right and the usb update port on the left. It will also be possible to remove the GPS if desired for adding memory cards,use as a portable in other vehicles or whatever. The biggest hurdle I am having is the fabrication time it takes to actually make each mount, and getting the generally non-existant suppliers to reliably provide the components with any degree of quality. case in point --a company quoted me on the on/off switch.--I ordered them-- they sent me White body switches in a completely different size--then said "Ohh we don't make the type you ordered so we did the best match we had". If any one has other questions or, wants to get one you can send me a personal message with contact info and I will follow up either by E-mail or phone as soon as I get the message. My own prototype in my XK has been flawless and works prefect every time.

Last edited by JLW1890; 02-27-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 02-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Which Magellan unit are you using and how difficult is it to get the old uint out?

Thanks

Old 02-27-2010, 02:53 PM

maybe 20 minutes to make the switch assuming competent use of a screwdriver. Any unit with appropriate diminsions can be used if electrical connections can be made.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Hello. I was doing a search of this forum in order to see if anyone had done or if anyone had advice on switching out the factory Navigation screen for an aftermarket one. Talk about getting lucky with you having just done it. I am dying to know more and would be interested in yours.
I have emailed the administrator, but any link I click on takes me to a page that says that I don't have access.
JLW1890 can you please email me with some specifics
Thank you

Last edited by jnporcello; 03-16-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

You may want to read this post and look at the page of the post to see about the factory system before you jump into making modifications. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=26754

Old 03-15-2010, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the info on the other thread. That may be an option for some, but I think that placing the handheld GPS in the dash cavity of the original GPS will be a great fit economically. This way you can get a GPS relatively cheap, then one of our members can make a bracket and wiring connections for you, if you wish. In this way you'll have a new and updatable GPS and if something happens you can put in a new GPS down the road. And it is reversible. I think it looks pretty darn good... but to each his own.
Thanks,
Nick

Old 03-20-2010, 06:43 AM
med
Default Can You E-mail photos

Good morning. I tried looking at your attached .jpg file but I am still not allowed to do that. I am interested in a Nav system mod to my 04 XK8. can you please e-mail me info and pictures to aragheb@aol.com
Thank you
Med

Old 03-22-2010, 03:42 PM

Love to hear and see all about it. Been looking to do something with Alpine system in my 2003 xkr

Old 04-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Guys. I just finished a similar mod on a 2000 XKR. I used a Garmin Nuvi 1490.
works great, very simple and fully reversable.
If my ISP ever gets themselves sorted so i can post docs I will upload the instruction failing that ping me and I will mail you the info stewart AT pt DOT lu substitute the caps with the obvious

Old 04-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxXKR
If my ISP ever gets themselves sorted so i can post docs I will upload the instruction failing that ping me and I will mail you the info stewart AT pt DOT lu substitute the caps with the obvious
Stewart, sent you an email. THANKS!!

Old 04-10-2010, 07:22 PM
med

Stewart, Just sent you an e-mail. Look forward to hearing from you
All the best,
Med

Old 04-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxXKR
Sounds great! Dam shame Jaguar did not step up to the plate and do the right thing for the existing Alpine system. You should make a procedure document and get it on the FAQ for others to see.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:41 AM

Guys. I was able to post the info. 2 PDF files at the below addy.
http://webplaza.pt.lu/stewart/
mail me if you have questions, I will do my best to help. for the Garmin I really suggest you borrow a garmin or TomTom and set it to navigate from battery power then throw it in the glove compartement and go for a drive, just to be certain it can pick up the signals. I have a softop so it get the signal easy, Not certain how good this would be with a hard top car.
I also added a doc with photos

Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 AM

I just completed a similar install. I used a Magellan Maestro 5310. I am currently on a road trip with it and it works perfectly. No problem with reception through a coupe at any point at all. I would highly recommend this procedure.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Just wondering why anyone would bother going through a physical installation of a Garmin or other similar portable device into this or any car versus just carrying it around and using it when needed?

Doug

Old 04-13-2010, 10:50 AM

Doug, your question is quite valid. certainly carrying the GPS in standard form has advantages, it can be taken wherever, whenever without dragging the Jag along. For me I only need sat nav in the Jag and its nice to have it all built in and right there ready for use without in any way spoiling the appearance of the car. I guess its a kind of personl thing, some people will have my view and some will think your idea is more sensible. "each to his own"

Quick Reply: Aftermarket nav update