XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Aftermarket radio install on a 97 not so simple. Am lost

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 07:38 PM
Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Aftermarket radio install on a 97 not so simple. Am lost

Okay so I tired of burned out crap on the stock radio so I purchased a Clarion aftermarket unit that will work with the stock controls. Bought the Axxess adapter for the wheel controls and the wiring harness and plate for the XJ6 which should make it almost a plug and play. Well the radio works just fine but the antenna does not work at all. I can't figure out what I should be wiring the lead out of the radio to. Also, the wire that should go to the steering wheel controller according to the directions from axxess goes into the aftermarket plug (pin 19).

Any help or guidance would be lovely.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts

"...The lead out of the radio to" do you mean a wire marked "auto antenna"?

Trevor could you please retype the last sentence with more details? Sometimes we all get deep into a job, then forget folks who can't see what you mean need a lot of lower level details, Lord knows I've done it too.

If you could say more to help get us centered, I bet you'll get better / faster answers.

Thanks mate,
John

Old 08-24-2017, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts

On the 'original' wiring harness at the rear of the head unit, there should be a light-green / black wire. This is the "on" power feed to the radio aerial.
On the "new" radio head unit, there should be a wire - often blue - labelled antenna or aerial + or similar. Join those two together.
There's another power feed directly to the aerial via fuse #9 (10A) in the boot fuse box so check that too. This is a permanent 12 volt supply on a brown/green wire connected directly to the aerial.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:28 AM
Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Well I finally figured it out. The harness was completely wrong (don't waste your money on this as it has the antenna going to ISO as well as a couple other screw ups) https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/auto...g-harness.html

Also, the Axxess Universal Controller instructions are completely wrong as well. They tell you to hook it up to pin 19 (don't give the color of the wire you are hooking up so I went back to the jag diagram and found it is pin 2). All is working, now just waiting for the post office to figure out where I live as my replacement facia (old one was cracked) has been going on an extended field trip seeing the Lancaster Countryside.

The following 2 users liked this post by TreVoRTasmin:
DevonDavid (08-24-2017), Truck Graphics (08-25-2017)