XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Airbag light on

I have read here in the forum about problems with the drivers seat head rest. If the motor seems to work, but the headrest dosen't move will that trigger the airbag light on the dash?

Old 01-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Airbag light on

My head rests just make noise without any movement. The dealer was not anxious to fix them and guarantee that they would continue working for an extended period so I gave up on that issue.
I did get my airbag light issue fixed though. The shop replaced the seat belt buckle and sensor. This did not fix the issue. On the return trip for the same problem they found insulation scraped off of a wire within the seat that occasionally shorted out on the metal frame. This was corrected and I have had no more issues with that light.
I would recommend doing a quick look at the back of the seat (upper section folded forward) and trace out the wires from the buckle through the seat. There might be a pinched or scraped wire in there causing the error warning.
Good Luck!
Doug

Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

The headrests can be repaired yourself, there was a technical service bulletin issued that gives instructions on what to do. The cable sheath needs to be shortened to allow the cable to be inserted further into the motor assembly. It is an easy procedure once you get the skin pulled back from the seat. I've got the TSB if either of you would like to try it yourself. Send me a PM w/ your personal email address and I'll send it to you.

And jagpro, i'm afraid the airbag light and headrest are not connected in any way. Is the offending airbag light on your dash or in front of the passenger seat?

Old 01-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

This was posted by Real_Tech elsewhere, apologies if I offend anyone by posting it here...

No pictures but this is how it's done. Remove seat back leather and fiber board reinforcing back of seat. Remove 1 torx screw from cable attachment bracket at motor, loosen other screw and pivot bracket out of the way for cable removal. Remove inner metal cable from cable housing, cut 10mm from outer cable housing length, reinstall metal core and install heatshrink tube over cut area. Reinstall cable to motor. Reinstall seat back leather and test operation. If you have a favorite technician do not take this repair to him as he will surely hate you for this. It sounds easy but really isn't and it only pays .4 labor hours for both seats. Select Edition doesn't cover many bulletins but they do cover this one, so don't let your dealer tell you otherwise.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 401 Posts

I just went through the headrest fix myself a few weeks ago. The hardest part was figuring out how to undo the seatback finisher (the plastic channel that connects the material from the front of the seat to that in back of the seat). I have some great photos that were sent to me by Steve Hannes and I can email the procedure if you want. The first time took me about an hour but if I had to do again it would take no longer than half that time.

Doug

Old 01-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

does your airbag light come on immediately and stay on or does it flash at you?

if it flashes it is trying to give you a flash code. if its on constant that means theres something else wrong.
Check if the fuse for the airbag system. Its on the driver side fuse cluster i think.

i have a constant light and have been unable to fix it for some time now. i have tracked it down in my car to a electrical issue some ware between the gage cluster/diagnostic port and the airbag control module.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

ORIGINAL: SeismicGuy

I just went through the headrest fix myself a few weeks ago. The hardest part was figuring out how to undo the seatback finisher (the plastic channel that connects the material from the front of the seat to that in back of the seat). I have some great photos that were sent to me by Steve Hannes and I can email the procedure if you want. The first time took me about an hour but if I had to do again it would take no longer than half that time.

Doug
Doug,
I have a copy of the TSB and my dealer wants $115 per seat to do the TSB (both my seats are in this condition). If you have pictures, please email them to me if possible. Thanks. lewatl at bellsouth dot net

Old 01-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the airbag light in the dash and it stays on, no flashing. Thank God it is under warrenty!

Old 01-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got me interested in attempting to fix the headrests also. That loud motor noise with no movement is annoying. Please send pics & instructions to dugem at sbcglobal dot net.
Thanks in advance!

Old 11-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doug could you send me pics of this fix . have the same problem on my 05.
Thanks Jerry sly80@msn.com