XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

All season tires - needed for a winter road trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I have EXSTA asx 255/50/R17 all season. When I bought them all I could get was 255's instead of 245's. My next set will most likely be Generals. I have them on my '07 X-type and noticed they are a little quieter then the Kuhmo's. I may go oversized again. I like the look and that little bit of rubber sticking out protects the rims. Jack

Old 12-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
First, DO THE LONG TRIP! GO TO MONUMENT VALLEY!!! In fact, monument valley is only a couple of hours from Arches National Park. GO TO ARCHES! It's awesome! That's where they filmed all of the Roadrunner cartoons. It's kinda like monument valley compressed into a much smaller space.

Now, about the tires, I grew up in New Mexico. If you're going to do the long trip, you definitely need the all season tires. Northern New Mexico gets a lot of snow. And it gets really cold there at night. Temps in the single digits are not uncommon in most of New Mexico during the winter. The rubber on summer tires gets very hard in cold weather, and the hard rubber causes poor traction, even if the road is dry. I got a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires about a year ago. They are great. They have great reviews on Tirerack.com. On dry pavement with traction control turned off I have trouble breaking traction from a standing start. They are that sticky. But they are also all season tires, and they are supposed to be good in the snow, too. The tread design has the letters D, W, and S recessed into it. They show the tire wear and illustrate when the tires are no longer good for different conditions. In other words, when the S disappears, you should no longer drive in snow. When the W disappears they are no longer good for wet conditions, and when the D disappears you need new tires.

Also... if you want a really awesome, desolate, high-desert drive with lots of wildlife, after leaving Alamogordo drive up to Socorro and take US 60 from Socorro to Show Low, Arizona. Make sure you fill up in Socorro, because there's only 1 gas station for about 200 miles, and it might not be open.

I did that drive last summer and I was just in awe the whole way. We saw a couple of herds of elk, lots of deer, a couple of coyotes, roadrunners... There's mountains all around but you're driving on a high plateau about 7000 feet in elevation. We only saw a handful of cars the whole way from Socorro to Show Low. In December I'd guess there's a good likelihood of snow being on the surrounding mountains, and maybe even on the desert down at road-level.

I second the suggestion for the Continental Extreem Contact DWS. Fantistic tires and the cost was resonable for a Z rated tire. $860 through American tire and discount tire/ same people I believe. Rated for 50K and for an extra $54 I got a lifetime replacement guarantee, if the tire is damaged in any way. No prorated deal and new tire if any damage occur in the 50K life of the tire.

Tires have a neat tread pattern also. Check them out. $170 each for the fronts 245/45ZR18 and $209 each for the rear 255/45ZR18 plus mounting and spin balance. Wear rating is 540AA, which is a long life.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use toyo proxes 4 plus this i know by fact is the best tire company and all season tires trust me i have them for my xk8 they are meant for snow too

Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought Nexen N 7000 18" AS. So far very happy, and price was right.