XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alpine Sound and Nav system

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alpine Sound and Nav system

Hi. I have a 2001 XKR bought some years ago and the sound system and nav have never worked. The nav screen has a dim lit effect when the system is on but apart from that there is no sign of life at all. I've had the amp, changer and nav out of the boot and am fairly it's all plugged in correctly apart from the aerial which does not work anyway. Also it looks like their is no GPS aerial. I have the amp plugged into the look via the multi-connectors (2) on the side, and to the nav unit via the single lead that comes off the amp. There is also another single lead that goes directly from the nav unit to the CD changer. The car did have major repair work many years ago and I suspect some leads are lost. On the back of the Nav there is another black multi-connector point with no lead attached and on the side of amp there is a point for a small lead next to the white multi-connector.
I have 2 questions and a request: What are these two empty connection points for and where do they go to? Does anyone have any pics of the units assembled but showing their leads connected and where they go.. ?
This is I think my troubleshooting starting point. Obviously it's necessary to ensure everything is actually present and connected before trying to work out what if anything does or doesn't work..

cheers Andrew

side view - ISO multi-connector from loom plugged into this. Nothing plugged into the smaller point

single leads going from amp to nav and from nav to CD - made no sense to me so I have replugged as shown in the 4th pic

Multi-connector point on satnav that is empty.. Also empty Nav aerial connection point

As presently connected by me - ISO to loom, single leads from nav and CD changer to amp above.

Old 05-12-2023, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 355 Posts

You need to get the wiring diagram for your car - you will never make sense of it otherwise. What you describe as the "single leads going from amp to nav and from nav to CD - made no sense to me" is the Alpine AI-NET 8 wire connector (Audio Network) which carries the audio and control signals between the various components in the system - the CD changer plugs into the power amp, the power amp plugs into the Navigation module, the nav module plugs into the head unit.

The other wires go from the Navigation module to the Navigation Display in the dashboard.

I do have photos of all this, but it just looks like a total mess, so I think you need to identify your connectors from the wire colours.

On mine I ditched the OEM sat nav display and replaced it with a Garmin unit - I kept all the other components in the system - its a huge improvement.

The following 2 users liked this post by dibbit:
Johnken (05-12-2023), TWRXJR (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 06:24 AM

Thanks for that - any photos no matter how bad that you have will help because I'm not trying to identify where the wires go but rather to identify what wires and connectors completely missing. I have had it in mind to follow your lead with the Garmin which I have read a stored for reference a long time ago (though the nice flat screened Garmin that was perfect seems to have been dropped). However at present I think I would be just deeper in trouble trying to convert a system that is currently stone dead - I believe due to missing leads and not to a failed component but I'm not ruling it out. Basically once I get to the point when we have proof of life from the amp/head unit I'll be able to decide on a direction.

Old 05-12-2023, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 355 Posts

I've just taken this photo showing the connections on the side of the amp:-

I can't get to the back of the units to take a photo of the connectors.

You should compare the wiring diagram for the premium sound with sat nav and without, as it looks like it might be possible just to bypass the nav unit - but I don't know for sure.

The Garmin I used was the Drivesmart 55 - an almost perfect fit compared to the OEM screen.

Old 05-12-2023, 06:17 PM

Thanks that gives me another clue - I have that small round white connector in the back of the amp instead of the side.