XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Ancient Newbie Seeks Passionate Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 08:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ancient Newbie Seeks Passionate Opinions

Hello all:

Although in my dotage and not a true auto enthusiast, I nonetheless have loved Jaguars since I was a callow teen. I always have lusted for an E-Type, but unfortunately, i missed the window when I could have purchased one for a price I could afford. So, with those disclaimers, I'd like to know what people think regarding two particular vehicles: a 2003 XK8 convertible and a 2004 XKR convertible. I'm specifically curious about their relative reliability and collector potential. Would you recommend one over the other? Why? I intend to use the car as a daily driver and have no further pretensions. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Old 01-02-2023, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Can you do any maintenance yourself ? Can get expensive if you need a paid mechanic for every little thing.

That said, I’m 71 and half crippled, I do some basic maintenance and repairs, but anything that requires much back strength I have to farm out. So far, my car, a daily driver 2002 XKR with 180,000 miles on it, is very reliable and not a money pit.

I researched the known issues with these cars before purchase, and bought one that had already had the expensive repairs already done.

So jump in. My personal preference is for the coupe XKR. Opinions vary.

Z

PS: aging electronics outweigh any collector potential in my view. But I only paid $7,900 for mine 4 years ago. I think they are going for more now in like condition.

Last edited by zray; 01-02-2023 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:03 PM

Thank you so much for your response, Z, we are pretty much contemporaries, although you're a little bit more of a graybeard than I. 😄 What, if I might ask, are the problems you so diligently researched that I should look out for? Forewarned is forearmed!

That said, I can do all the basic maintenance and, on a good day, might actually look forward to it. I also appreciate your comments as to collectability, it really isn't an issue; I just want to possibly mitigate any future losses (of course, we are at an age when the losses come fast and furious and unfortunately are not just financial.) Isn't that the reason for my post-midlife desire for a rag top. *sigh*

Thanks again.

Last edited by Liv2Ski; 01-03-2023 at 11:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jimborino (01-10-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 503 Posts

Well if you carnt mend it dont buy it . Thats either $$$ or yourself.
Even at 75 I do everything from brakes/ discs welding paint etc .Not surprising after 40 years in the motor trade.Your biggest ball ache is electrics so check everything before you buy and get a battery tender.

Old 01-03-2023, 04:01 AM
Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts

I too am an ancient being just a year behind you and about a year ago invested in a 98 XK8 Convertible. Yes, it does need me to keep up the maintenance and I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment that you either fettle yourself or pay significant amounts for repairs. If you can afford the latter, then great, but one tool that has become my essential friend is a reasonable OBD 2 scanner. If nothing else, it helps me to evaluate issues by reading the code then looking it up on Google to see what I'm up for. Additionally, it provides a set point for discussing repairs, rather than just accepting a large quote.
I am loving my car and cherish every second of top down driving. The wind in what's left of my hair is the best feeling I can get at this end of my journey. I would say, go for it!
Phil
1998 XK8 Convertible in Carnival Red

jimborino (01-10-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 09:32 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Liv2Ski
Hello all:

Although in my dotage and not a true auto enthusiast, I nonetheless have loved Jaguars since I was a callow teen. I always have lusted for an E-Type, but unfortunately, i missed the window when I could have purchased one for a price I could afford. So, with those disclaimers, I'd like to know what people think regarding two particular vehicles: a 2003 XK8 convertible and a 2004 XKR convertible. I'm specifically curious about their relative reliability and collector potential. Would you recommend one over the other? Why? I intend to use the car as a daily driver and have no further pretensions. Looking forward to hearing what you think.
I can report there is a huge increse in power with the upgrade supercharged XKR. The difference is night and day between my 2001 XK8 and my 2004 XKR. hands down the R wins and its almost like a different car. My 2004 just turned 50,000 miles and in the year I've owned it I've had no issues or repair needed. It developed a small backoff in acceleration on medium acceleration that the shop can not feel, but I know it's there. It came up after i was fiddling with the filter box and airtube so its probably self inflicted as i know how finnaky these fine cars are. XKR rocks xk8 is nice.

Johnken (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 10:27 AM

Well, thanks everyone! Pistnbroke scared me, Redjags buoyed me, and Markmbaha1 inspired me.

I'm not much of a mechanic outside of basic maintenance, although I did manage to rebuild the top end of a 1972 Triumph Tiger sometime in the 80's. Having owned many 60's and 70's British motorcycles, I am fearfully wondering if purchasing a Jaguar will be a virtual return to those nightmarish days of Smith, Lucas, interminable pushing, and oil stains on my garage floor? I don't think I have the heart for that anymore even in the face of the XK's towering beauty. A little agita, I can take, but a full blown conniption would likely be the end of me.

Right now, I am leaning towards the XKR, because who doesn't want more horsepower and a sport package (so says my wife, who I don't think is necessarily talking about cars)? However, the XK8 is in a color that I prefer and it's not like I'm ever going to the track. Also, the 8 is about $5,000 cheaper and sadly, I'm not rich as Croesus. But then again, life is short. What to do, what to do? Ah, tis a delightful quandary.

Thanks again for the responses; everyone was informative and helpful. I truly appreciate and value your input and opinions.

Larry

Last edited by Liv2Ski; 01-03-2023 at 11:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Liv2Ski:
jimborino (01-10-2023), Markmbaha1 (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

It’s a heavy car, and the XK8’s are underpowered in my humble opinion. Lots of differing opinions on that subject.

The most important thing to find out about any car you are looking is the repair and maintenance histories. Personally I would not consider a car that had no documentation of maintenance and repairs.

Putting a fuel pump is a pain in the rear for all years, and the 4.2’s use an expensive pump too. The pump failing, and the suspension wearing out can be expensive repairs. Look for a car that’s already had these things done.

Don’t be in a rush to buy the first cars you see for sale. I spent 6 months looking and that was time well spent.

Just google “ known issues for 200* Jaguar XKR or XK8. You will get plenty of information to analyze.

Z

Last edited by zray; 01-03-2023 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2023, 11:55 AM
Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

The hydraulic top mechanism seems to be a ticking time bomb with any XK8/XKR convertible with original parts, so beware those as a likely bugbear. That repair has pushed many a potential buyer towards the coupes.

Old 01-03-2023, 12:01 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, thanks everyone! Pistnbroke scared me, Redjags buoyed me, and Markmbaha1 inspired me.

I'm not much of a mechanic outside of basic maintenance, although I did manage to rebuild the top end of a 1972 Triumph Tiger sometime in the 80's. Having owned many 60's and 70's British motorcycles, I am fearfully wondering if purchasing a Jaguar will be a virtual return to those nightmarish days of Smith, Lucas, interminable pushing, and oil stains on my garage floor? I don't think I have the heart for that anymore even in the face of the XK's towering beauty. A little agita, I can take, but a full blown conniption would likely be the end of me.

Right now, I am leaning towards the XKR, because who doesn't want more horsepower and a sport package (so says my wife, who I don't think is necessarily talking about cars)? However, the XK8 is in a color that I prefer and it's not like I'm ever going to the track. Also, the 8 is about $5,000 cheaper and sadly, I'm not rich as Croesus. But then again, life is short. What to do, what to do? Ah, tis a delightful quandary.

Thanks again for the responses; everyone was informative and helpful. I truly appreciate and value your input and opinions.

Larry
Larry,
I held out for the silver platinum (what ever the proper color name is) with black convertible top for my first xk8. I flew hundreds of miles to see it after presenting multitude of questions over days. No problems with it except transmission mount. When it got rear-ended and totalled, I held out for the XKR. I really had no choice between the 2 initially. I didn't feel there could that much difference. After I owned it I always regretted not driving and buying an XKR. Every time I drove the XK8 it fell short of the image and expectations. In replacing it again I held out for the silver and black convertible XKR. Momentarily I was distracted with a newer version 500 miles away, but a leather dash problem and price removed that consideration. In the end I found the same silver and black XKR with Dove interior locally. You can find the color if your patient. Don't settle you will regret it. Dont settle for the mild XK8 either. Of course not preaching just sharing heart felt emotions and experiences.

Old 01-03-2023, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by zray
It’s a heavy car, and the XK8’s are underpowered in my humble opinion. Lots of differing opinions on that subject.

The most important thing to find out about any car you are looking is the repair and maintenance histories. Personally I would not consider a car that had no documentation of maintenance and repairs.

Putting a fuel pump is a pain in the rear for all years, and the 4.2’s use an expensive pump too. The pump failing, and the suspension wearing out can be expensive repairs. Look for a car that’s already had these things done.

Don’t be in a rush to buy the first cars you see for sale. I spent 6 months looking and that was time well spent.

Just google “ known issues for 200* Jaguar XKR or XK8. You will get plenty of information to analyze.

Z
J@gnarF0rnw

Great particulars and very sage advice. You're right, it's always a good idea to temper the immediate flaming desire with dispassionate and thorough analysis, a truism that I have I have too often ignored in a dissolute life. Thank you.

JimmyL (01-04-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Markmbaha1
Larry,
I held out for the silver platinum (what ever the proper color name is) with black convertible top for my first xk8. I flew hundreds of miles to see it after presenting multitude of questions over days. No problems with it except transmission mount. When it got rear-ended and totalled, I held out for the XKR. I really had no choice between the 2 initially. I didn't feel there could that much difference. After I owned it I always regretted not driving and buying an XKR. Every time I drove the XK8 it fell short of the image and expectations. In replacing it again I held out for the silver and black convertible XKR. Momentarily I was distracted with a newer version 500 miles away, but a leather dash problem and price removed that consideration. In the end I found the same silver and black XKR with Dove interior locally. You can find the color if your patient. Don't settle you will regret it. Dont settle for the mild XK8 either. Of course not preaching just sharing heart felt emotions and experiences.
Preach away, brother! Your sentiments come through loud and clear and I appreciate them. Hallelujah! You've got me thinking about holding out for British racing green.

As to, "[d]on't settle for the mild XK8 . . . ," any XK8 enthusiasts want to pick up the gauntlet?

Markmbaha1 (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by labcoatguy
The hydraulic top mechanism seems to be a ticking time bomb with any XK8/XKR convertible with original parts, so beware those as a likely bugbear. That repair has pushed many a potential buyer towards the coupes.
Thanks for the heads-up. It has to be a convertible, so that is alarming, but very helpful information. I intend to take one or both of these cars to a Jag-centric mechanic before I would purchase either vehicle.

Old 01-03-2023, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,387 Likes on 2,866 Posts

Regarding XK8 vs. XKR, neither is considered a fast car these days. My wife has owned her 2006 XK8 Victory Edition convertible for nearly 11 years and it remains plenty fast enough for her (now at 125,000+ miles). They are both essentially GT cruisers, not race cars....

jimborino (01-10-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Regarding XK8 vs. XKR, neither is considered a fast car these days. My wife has owned her 2006 XK8 Victory Edition convertible for nearly 11 years and it remains plenty fast enough for her (now at 125,000+ miles). They are both essentially GT cruisers, not race cars....
*Bows courteously to your wife* "I don't go too crazily fast either . . . these days."

Old 01-03-2023, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

*Bows courteously to your wife* "I don't go too crazily fast either . . . these days."
me neither. But my alter ego has some things to answer for.

Z

The following 4 users liked this post by zray:
CA Jag (01-08-2023), Liv2Ski (01-04-2023), ozbot (01-06-2023), Redjags (01-03-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 12:47 AM
Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

I have XK8s and an XKR, 2 convertibles and a coupe. My wife definitely loves the rag tops over the hardtop. I love the look of the coupe and the rag top down. There is a threat of hydraluic top failure but if it happens to mine, I'll just raise & lower it manually, and I own a hydraulics business. Never had an MG TD with a hydraulic convertible top. The one annoyance with the coupe is the drooping headliner. I stuck it back up with about 50 thumb tacks and have to live with it. I just don't look up in it.

I am very impressed with the layout of the intercooled supercharger as I have numerous supercharged toys, but the extra kick in the pants is not that big of a deal. The normally aspirated engine moves out with a lot of gusto, too.

The '03 & '04s have the iron liners, 6 speed trans and improved chain tensioners as I recall, so they hold those advantages over their predecessors. See if service records prove the chains & tensioners have been replaced. If it doesn't come with more than 1 key (and hopefully not just a valet key), tell them that just dropped the price a few hundred.

If you intend for it to be a daily driver, make sure you have licensed/insured backups ready to go at all times.

Old 01-05-2023, 02:20 AM
Veteran Member

To give you an idea what I have done to mine to avoid impossible repairs on trips across Europe ( starting at back)
Replaced fuel pump
Resealed back window
resealed one rear window
changed transmission fluid and filter
New brake discs and pads all round.
New shoes for handbrake.
New starter motor
new alternator
fixed the SRS light
Re placed door lock solenoids with aftermarket.
new heater pump
new water pump
new thermostat
fans on half speed with ign ON

Old 01-05-2023, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke

“….fans on half speed with ign ON

just curious, was the car overheating without this modification ?

Z

Old 01-06-2023, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member

No but it can get very hot in france or in long traffic cues. why wait for the fans to come on at 95C. Its only earthing one wire on the ECU and otherwise it works normal

Quick Reply: Ancient Newbie Seeks Passionate Opinions