XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 12:53 AM
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Crazy world...

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson
Here, in Tucson, Arizona, we don't need permits to carry concealed or open. I also own a gun holster manufacturing company. Haaaah! I carry open frequently with my Glock 19 on my side. I also train in a handgun martial arts class.

If a policeman is too heavy for you to carry around you need to have your own way to defend yourself... especially in the industrial park where my factory is... at night...

Uh, oh, I'd better turn this thread back around. =)

I meet with Vettegood this Friday to install the modified airbox that I used to have. It should give him some extra power in the higher RPM range. It will be nice to meet him!

We don't even lock our doors when we leave the house unless it's over night.... Nobody does.
Don't need to.... I have never even locked my 09 XKR during the night.
Can't imagine living in a place where you need to wear a gun
even with a 600hp Jag.... Crazy.
Nice car by the way.... And greetings from Muskoka Canada -our biggest threat are the deer on the highways. Sorry to steal this thread... Back to the cars.

Barry

Old 04-30-2014, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by avos
Thanks!

Please be careful, this is a big step again (even though it sounds small) and will add some noticeable torque and obviously extra boost. I would strongly advise not to drive full power if you don't have the water/meth kit running to stay on the safe side.
What octane number is needed for boost over 20lbs?

Barry

Old 04-30-2014, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by xenophobe
There are a fair bit of us who wouldn't buy a newer body style XKR.
And what planet are they from?

Old 04-30-2014, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Sometimes the karma thing goes both ways. A few years ago when I still had my 1995 Corvette I was on surface streets on the way home. The car looked real sharp (red coupe and in pristine condition) but it was obviously an "older" model compared with the latest and greatest. Also the car originally had only a "paltry" 300hp which I goosed up a bit with a few mods.

I rarely punched the car since that is not the way I choose to drive. But anyway these guys pull next to me at a stop light in some newish Mercedes CLS or whatever the larger coupe is called. It was black and obviously some souped up model (maybe AMG). I was in the right lane at the light and I could see ahead that the lane ended requiring a merge left. Well the guy in the Merc obviously noticed that as well and punched it hard when the light turned green. So I punched it also expecting to have to slow down and cut behind him but, to my surprise (and likely his annoyance) with his engine screaming I still zoomed by him. I suppose if there had been more distance he would have eventually passed me by. But this really drove home the point that the lighter car with "meager" horsepower will show pretty well against the behemoths with ridiculous horsepower, at least for the stop light to stop light type contests that most will encounter.

Doug

I've seen more than one street legal C5/c6 vette run low 9's in the quarter with only a supercharger, drag radials and meth..... Not a big investment for the return.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:13 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by bfarrell
What octane number is needed for boost over 20lbs?

Barry
The very highest pump gas available in your area (ultra94 from petro), and a very generous amount of methanol supplied from a water/meth injection kit should about handle 21psi...

Old 04-30-2014, 09:01 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile Moon River Road

We don't even lock our doors when we leave the house unless it's over night.... Nobody does.
Don't need to.... I have never even locked my 09 XKR during the night.
Can't imagine living in a place where you need to wear a gun
even with a 600hp Jag.... Crazy.
Nice car by the way.... And greetings from Muskoka Canada -our biggest threat are the deer on the highways. Sorry to steal this thread... Back to the cars.

Barry
HMMM Biggest threat EHHH!
Must be black fly season about now!Now there 's a threat .
Don't miss the meshed hat anymore!Probably need the extra boost to out run the gigantic horse fly[s]
Loved Muskoka most of the time but wife hated the "black fly" season

Old 04-30-2014, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by GT42R
The very highest pump gas available in your area (ultra94 from petro), and a very generous amount of methanol supplied from a water/meth injection kit should about handle 21psi...
I put 21psi with 91 octane (stupid AZ gas) with moderate water meth injection. By the manufacturers recommendation I use a small-ish nozzle but I picked it based on the AFR measured on a dyno.

Jeff might actually be putting in more boost than 21, he's running a smaller pulley on his car.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:16 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

ccfulton, are you running the avos ts? How much boost have you run to date?

How much boost has jeff in tucson been running to date? for some reason i thought he was still on the standard pulley...

I like to err on the side of caution when giving this sort of advice, so 21psi was a conservative estimate, as i personally haven't run a 4.2SC to that level.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

And what planet are they from?
The newer xk is tacky and soulless. Its not my fault that some people have less than discriminating tastes....

The following users liked this post:
weisberg (06-20-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by xenophobe
The newer xk is tacky and soulless. Its not my fault that some people have less than discriminating tastes....

Are you insane man.... Your antiquated idea of design obviously leads one to think you have a grade 8 education -and if not it's certainly not in design nor art.
Possibly accounting or biz admin......or just a furbie......am I close.

Discriminating tastes.... What a douche.

Last edited by bfarrell; 05-01-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Graham Royls
HMMM Biggest threat EHHH!
Must be black fly season about now!Now there 's a threat .
Don't miss the meshed hat anymore!Probably need the extra boost to out run the gigantic horse fly[s]
Loved Muskoka most of the time but wife hated the "black fly" season

Not sure where you get your info... Black flies come out for two weeks in early June... Then there gone. Climate change has its benifits......

Still I'll take few bugs over flying 44's or 9 mm any day.

Last edited by bfarrell; 05-01-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

ccfulton, are you running the avos ts? How much boost have you run to date?
I am, with a few customized tweaks. I run a 3" pulley and it will make 21psi on a cool day. Haven't pushed it any further... yet.

Below is the thread of the install and a dyno plot:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n-screw-96101/

How much boost has jeff in tucson been running to date? for some reason i thought he was still on the standard pulley...
Not entirely sure but I believe in an earlier post he said he switched to a 2.75" pulley, which is why I say he might be making even more boost.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:28 AM
Received 320 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by ccfulton
I am, with a few customized tweaks. I run a 3" pulley and it will make 21psi on a cool day. Haven't pushed it any further... yet.

Below is the thread of the install and a dyno plot:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n-screw-96101/

Not entirely sure but I believe in an earlier post he said he switched to a 2.75" pulley, which is why I say he might be making even more boost.
Jeff was thinking 2.75" pulley, but since it gives massive pulley ratio of 6.3/2.75 = 2.29 he went to 3". 6.3/3=2.15.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson
Sorry for not being very active lately. In December my pinion gear decided to
disintegrate. Hah!

The car will be back together in about another week.

We didn't shot peen the gears prior to the installation of the OS Giken differential, like AVos had recommended.

Lots of research lead us to determine the best way to put things back together. Falconworks found a specialty shop in Los Angeles that does exactly what we needed. We paid $1,000 to have an analysis of the metal done. We sent them chunks of the broken stock Dana pinion gear for vaporization. With those results, they have determined the correct way to harden a new set using heat treating and shot peen techniques. Prior to sending the new set to the vendor, Falconworks took off all sharp corners from a brand new set of gears.

We'll see how this one holds up... they say that I should be able to beat on it pretty hard without grenading it again. When it popped, I had just come out of a corner and was laying down 2 patches of rubber as I accelerated. The XKR has become quite a rubber patch laying machine. Someone has to seal the roads around here!
Hey Jeff,
How did your diff rebuild come out? I'm about to pull one apart for a LSD install and would like to harden the ring and pinion too if there is a way to.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Progress!

'Sorry for the long delay between posts. It has taken a long time to have these custom gears made. As usual, I had the techs at Falconworks do the work. They did lots of research to determine the appropriate shop for the gear work. Falconworks bought a new set of ring and pinion gears, then rounded off all corners and points. The metals modification company then had to vaporize some metal from the original broken gears to determine the exact metal composition. It cost me $1,000 to have that test alone done! If you guys go through Falconworks to have the gear edge-rounding and hardening work done, you won't have to do the vapor analysis... our gift to you. The metals mod shop then did the heat treating, shot-peening and phosphate coating to yield the fine gears in the pics below. They are going into the XKR as you read this! I may have the beastie by the end of the week, then the following week, I'll have a dyno run in.

Falconworks machined the mounting face of the Giken LSD a bit to re-perfect its surface. When the original tooth broke off it caused a .001 deviation. It's now back to flat, flat, flat.

I recommend that anyone wanting to do this, sends their gear set to Falconworks for the gear corner rounding treatment, then processing through their metals guy.

We'll know soon if this thing holds up. I've been four wheeling my Land Rover around a lot, which is fun and quite slow... I'm ready to burn some rubber! PS: If you have a young one nearby, or are sensitive to a well-timed expletive, turn down the volume...

Attached Thumbnails Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-balesrampp1_zps0577ac4c.jpg   Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-balesrampp2_zpsf4eb2bfc.jpg   Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-balesrampp4_zpse7641b8d.jpg   Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-balesdiff2_zpsb77f5568.jpg   Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-balesdiff3_zps14c144cd.jpg  

Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-balesrampp1_zps0577ac4c.jpg   Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-balesrampp2_zpsf4eb2bfc.jpg   Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-balesrampp4_zpse7641b8d.jpg   Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-balesdiff2_zpsb77f5568.jpg   Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-balesdiff3_zps14c144cd.jpg  

Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-balesdiff4_zpsc17a5751.jpg  

Last edited by Jeff in Tucson; 06-02-2014 at 06:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jeff in Tucson:
Cambo (06-02-2014), The Coupe (06-05-2014), User 070620 (06-03-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 01:36 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks absolutly great Jeff!
I'm curious about the dyno results!
Enjoy your day, regards from Munich.
Maxi

Jeff in Tucson (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 03:04 PM
Default Bench testing

Falconworks is bench-testing the new gears in the diffy.

Attached Thumbnails Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-balesdiff5_zps98ab3039.jpg  
Old 06-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Default Assembly done, going up!

Attached Thumbnails Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-balesdiff7_zpsef4d32e4.jpg   Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-balesdiff8_zpsc8c49a7c.jpg  
Cambo (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 12:59 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If only money grew on trees... this is how I would blow the first harvest, plus Recaro seat & more (if possible)

Say good by to the rubber :-)

Congrats!! from Canada.

Jeff in Tucson (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 11:38 PM
Default Tighten that rascal...

Attached Thumbnails Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA-bales101_zpsd2916e97.jpg  

Quick Reply: Another Avos Twin-Screw Supercharger Kit in USA