XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Another "Learned the Hard Way" - Don't do this (phone + xk8)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Another "Learned the Hard Way" - Don't do this (phone + xk8)

Well I have to admit I always appreciate when others tell us about dumb things they've done with bad outcomes, Lord knows I've posted a few myself. Might as well share this one - took me by surprise, so file it in your don't do this (it'll bite you) file.

A while ago I was cruising home on a deserted stretch of the highway. 50mph speed limit. I looked to the right - Woah, an amazing sunset!

No one around, I could slow down, pull out the phone and get some amazing shots. Slowed to about 20 or 30mph pulled it out and started taking shots. Figured I'd get a better angle, held it 6 inches above the windshield and got a good one. Poof, the wind actually blew the phone camera out of my hand and back over my head! Well, I figured, there's nothing in the back seat that'll damage it, I'll retrieve it when I get home.

Couldn't believe how easily it blew out of my hand. Started to accelerate and looked out of the rear view mirror...hmm something tiny was tumbling on the ground and following me at almost the same speed wonder what that could be. The I realized - it was the phone!!!

I pulled over to verify, yes sure enough it was my android. Well I was ready for a post mortem on it. Picked it up and couldn't believe my luck. Somehow it only received the tiniest of scratches!

Well, someone up there was looking out for me, but I never would have thought it was either that hard to hold the phone above the windshield or that easy for it to blow out of your hand.

While we're on the subject of phone things never to do in an xk8, I'm going to revisit a story I saw on another forum a while ago. This will be good for our newer members: a gent lent his car to a friend. The friend quickly realized how nicely his phone fit right into the recessed speedometer housing in the dashboard. No, no one told him that the steering wheel retracts. He got too his appointment, turned the key off, and as he started to reach for the phone he watched the retracting steering wheel force it through the speedometer. (Bet he never got to borrow the car again)

Well like I said, I wanted to pass the first embarrassing one again long. I have posted the second one before, but it was a long while ago.

John

The following users liked this post:
XK_SL (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 12:30 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had the same experience when I went for my first ride (as a passenger) in my XK8 when it was with the previous owner, had the roof down and was filming the drive while moving and thought I'd get a better angle so I raised the phone above the windshield line and it got blown back with serious force! Thankfully I was holding on to it pretty tight so it didn't fly away since we were on a highway at the time!

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:51 AM
Received 244 Likes on 146 Posts

Ha thanks for the reminder! What kind of case did you have on your phone, if any? I run Lifeproofs on all my mobile devices. While a bit expensive, I have yet to have one break. I heard a story of someone's Lifeproofed Iphone get ran over multiple times on the freeway and it still worked afterwards.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts

No case at all!! Since I'm leasing it is was sure it would be trashed. Wow I was really lucky Philly. John

Old 03-28-2017, 01:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You must have been shattered !