XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Another rear seat delete underway

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
Ok ok, wait, the black seats aren't mine!! Lol those are the inspiration for my new skins.
Well they SHOULD be. Looks awesome and fits with your style. Tell Vic damn the cost, you want it done!

Old 02-23-2014, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 517 Likes on 333 Posts

Another rear seat delete underway-image.jpg
Added the aluminum and chrome rub strips. Need to make them for the floor as well but ran out!! Ignore my feeble attempt to stitch and cover the cap rail. I'll have it properly covered to match when the new seats go in.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member

Very sturdy and actually frees up more room without the worry of damaging the old seats. Frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would want to put them back!

The following users liked this post:
sherbercars (02-24-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Great job! I've been following all of your work, and must say I'm impressed! I've always considered myself a purist with these cars, but you've proven to me that some tasteful modifications aren't always a bad thing. Keep up the good work!!

philhef (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 05:12 AM
Received 4,341 Likes on 3,749 Posts

Nicely done Phil!!

philhef (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
Great job! I've been following all of your work, and must say I'm impressed! I've always considered myself a purist with these cars, but you've proven to me that some tasteful modifications aren't always a bad thing. Keep up the good work!!
Thanks! It's easier to change my car for me since it wasn't in pristine condition. Had a lot of little issues so I decided to just alter where it could be an improvement.
Now it i had a flawless victory edition or such, it'd be another story!!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,274 Likes on 699 Posts

Looks really good Phil. A couple thoughts...

Did you notice any change in road noise? The thick foam in the seats seemed like a good insulator. Did you add any new insulation?

Would it make sense to attach the top cover to the cap rail in some way? Then you could just pop the trunk, unsnap the ends, fold the ends inward and flip it into your new storage area whenever the top is up. Maybe even make a new top cover that incorporates the cap rail cover for a cleaner overall appearance.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rothwell
Looks really good Phil. A couple thoughts...

Did you notice any change in road noise? The thick foam in the seats seemed like a good insulator. Did you add any new insulation?

Would it make sense to attach the top cover to the cap rail in some way? Then you could just pop the trunk, unsnap the ends, fold the ends inward and flip it into your new storage area whenever the top is up. Maybe even make a new top cover that incorporates the cap rail cover for a cleaner overall appearance.
Ok, the cover idea is STELLAR!! I'm so gonna play with that today!!
And frankly, the sound is even more quiet with the carpet. I think since i have some dead space between the back and i added some left over foam in the floor to protect all the wiring, it keeps road noise the same. And the carpet absorbs much more sound than the leather so its very cacooning!

Old 02-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Attachment 73736
Very sturdy and actually frees up more room without the worry of damaging the old seats. Frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would want to put them back!
That looks really good You will find it is the best mod you could have done, did you build your own strips ? if so how , mine don't have chrome. I also included storage for tools etc under the luggage bottom floor. Bernie.

Please see my post
Finally finished my XKR is now a two seater with luggage space.

Attached Thumbnails Another rear seat delete underway-dsc03190.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sherbercars
That looks really good You will find it is the best mod you could have done, did you build your own strips ? if so how , mine don't have chrome. I also included storage for tools etc under the luggage bottom floor. Bernie.

Please see my post
Finally finished my XKR is now a two seater with luggage space.
I made my own strips. Probably could have come up with something better but they look good in person. I used 1/2 aluminum stripe, drilled the ends and used a domed washers and they actually capped the ends so it liiks very finished. For the chrome, I used the 1/4 self stick flex chrome trim from autozone. Just ran a piece down the middle.
I was going to make bottom open but there were too many wires and such so I added some foam padding for sound and closed it ip.
You're lucky to have the closing lid for the top so it cleans things up.

sherbercars (02-24-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 06:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great Phil, can't wait to see what you have in store for your ride next

philhef (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DRettaler
Looks great Phil, can't wait to see what you have in store for your ride next
This is my next ride!! It's been through two incarnations already! When it goes, I'll do an LS switch!! Although I am starting to think about my XF and some mods to it!!

Finished the floor strips today. Another rear seat delete underway-image.jpg
And again, pic is sideways!! Argh!!

Old 02-25-2014, 10:10 PM
Received 154 Likes on 121 Posts

Phil, this looks amazing! The best mod you've done yet, at least my favorite. You nailed the design touches from the metal strips to the black carpet.

You uh... feel like making more of them for a nominal fee? I might be interested. After doing my hydraulic hoses last year and tearing the backseat out once, seeing how worthless it was (and REALLY not wanting to put it back but not having a choice), I'd love to tear it out for good. If it looked proper. I imagine it might even save a bit of weight?

P.s.: it very much reminds me of the 'rear seat' of my Dad's old Alfa Spider. That's a good thing.

Last edited by Sentinelist; 02-25-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

I made my own strips. Probably could have come up with something better but they look good in person. I used 1/2 aluminum stripe, drilled the ends and used a domed washers and they actually capped the ends so it liiks very finished. For the chrome, I used the 1/4 self stick flex chrome trim from autozone. Just ran a piece down the middle.
I was going to make bottom open but there were too many wires and such so I added some foam padding for sound and closed it ip.
You're lucky to have the closing lid for the top so it cleans things up.
Yes, thats how I made mine of 1/2" x 1/8" alum strip then I drilled and inserted 1/8 "fine thread bolts and then used 3/8" 3m black body moulding with adhesive backing down the middle to cover the bolts.

Attached Thumbnails Another rear seat delete underway-dsc03203.jpg   Another rear seat delete underway-dsc03099.jpg   Another rear seat delete underway-dsc03100.jpg  
Old 02-26-2014, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sherbercars
Yes, thats how I made mine of 1/2" x 1/8" alum strip then I drilled and inserted 1/8 "fine thread bolts and then used 3/8" 3m black body moulding with adhesive backing down the middle to cover the bolts.
I looked at a black but since I added the chrome trim to my dash I wrapped in brushed titanium vinyl, it tied it all together. I like your cover a lot. I thought about coming up with something similar but my dog has laid claim to the back space now that it raises her up enough to see out! I am getting the hard top cover. Another rear seat delete underway-image.jpg
You can see the chrome and brushed dash. Matches the strips.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry sideways! But the floor strips now in too.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW, the stuff you guy's do is amazing. Was the back area cover (deck?) fabricated too
or is that available from a vendor? I'd love to try my hand at duplicating that back seat delete and cover assembly.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 695 Likes on 490 Posts

Wow, nice work Phil. I think I will put the rear seat delete on next winter's project list.

philhef (02-27-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 10:38 AM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Another Rear Seat Delete

Job very well done! Phil where I don't always agree with all of your mods, actually can't think of any that I don't, so I guess I'm just covering myself here, I so appreciate all of you guys willing to modify, improve and personalize your cars. Between you and Rob E, the ideas never seem to stop, and I for one am appreciative and inspired.
I copied your headliner mod and couldn't be happier. I have longed for a mod to the back seat area, and again you have instructed and inspired. So...
Thanks again, and never be satisfied with the status quo.

philhef (02-27-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by platinummaker
Job very well done! Phil where I don't always agree with all of your mods... I so appreciate all of you guys willing to modify, improve and personalize your cars. Between you and Rob E, the ideas never seem to stop, and I for one am appreciative and inspired. So...Thanks again, and never be satisfied with the status quo.

Quick Reply: Another rear seat delete underway