XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Another tire question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts
Smile Another tire question

This summer I installed a new set of Sumitomo HTR A/S PO2 tires on my XK8. Really like the feel and handling. However, I noticed something unique in tread design that I had not seen before. The tread is not symmetrical. There is more tread on the outside of the tire than on the inside. This is the way they are installed as the outside is marked on the tire. Well.....since tires on these cars wears more on the inside than on the outside, and I mean a lot, I don't think I will get the life from them I want. I am thinking about having them flipped on the rims, at least on the front where the wear is worse. But I also don't want to screw up the handling. To see what I am talking about just google Sumitomo HTR A/S PO2.

Has anyone else had experience along this line? Ideas or suggestions welcome other than "go to Michelanads"

Last edited by GGG; 10-14-2016 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Edit typo in thread title
Old 10-13-2016, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by EZDriver
since tires on these cars wears more on the inside than on the outside, and I mean a lot
Instead of messing with tires outside of their parameters, you might want to look into checking the front ride height, and, if found too low, look into upper shock mounts, etc. to restore it. Separately, an alignment may be in order. As you probably know, there is no camber adjustment on these cars, camber is determined by ride height. If the shop cannot bring camber to within spec, you have to circle back to the usual suspects in the front suspension.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
grantorino62 (10-13-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fmertz
Instead of messing with tires outside of their parameters, you might want to look into checking the front ride height, and, if found too low, look into upper shock mounts, etc. to restore it. Separately, an alignment may be in order. As you probably know, there is no camber adjustment on these cars, camber is determined by ride height. If the shop cannot bring camber to within spec, you have to circle back to the usual suspects in the front suspension.

Best of luck, keep us posted.
Nothing wrong with ride height or the tires per se. Just the concern of inside excessive tire wear due tread pattern not being symmetrical. Wheel camber not adjustable on either car. Alignment specs call for the camber that causes inside tire wear on front and rear on both cars. Do a search and you'll find a lot of discussion on that.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:02 AM
Received 293 Likes on 219 Posts

I would not suggest that you run asymmetric tyres the 'wrong way' round just to even wear, especially as you live in the land where it seems every little problem is dealt with by launching a lawsuit! You would be giving your insurance company a very easy way to back out of any claim you made. Apart from anything, I very much doubt any tyre place will do the fitting for you, due to potential liability.

EZDriver (10-15-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

+1. IMHO, trying to re-invent tyre technology, especially on these high performance cars where the original spec called for asymmetrics for their known benefits, is fraught with danger . . . both real and legal, as already stated.

Mine wears 20" on widened BBS rims and the fat Pirelli P Zeros are fiendishly expensive. Yes, you will wear the inner shoulders somewhat faster than the outer half. Why? Check out the Formula1 open-wheelers . . . huge camber on the straight, but changes to full tyre contact in the corners providing much higher cornering force. Faster. Safer. Even in our more modest driving, with far more modest camber settings, this ensures greatly enhanced performance and safety under all conditions.

Cheers,

Ken

EZDriver (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

OK Guys. I give up. But with our rough chip seal roads the inside wear is going to be really bad.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Hey Bob, don't be too dispirited . . . not like me when my XK8 arrived. Rear tyres failed the detailed inspection required on interstate transfer because, despite over legal depth on the outer 80% of tread, the inner shoulders were down to wear limit markers.

Aaaaah, the burdens we bear to own and drive such beautiful beasties?

Cheers,

Ken