XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Another update on Wayne and Baxtor's effort

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,358 Likes on 749 Posts
Default Another update on Wayne and Baxtor's effort

I have been watching the threads that give our (me and Baxtor) some high praise and thank you all.

Our efforts keep us working on the best that it can get. Bear in mind, all parts are going to wear out, but we have thing that should give great service.

Over the years there have been a few different products on the shelf for offer an no way to tell which one you have until you have the old one out. That would not be a issue if they all had the same measurements. Just the two I have now are different enough we have a crush factor problem. The rubbers we use, be it Baxtor’s or mine are pretty much the same flex and we try to get the crush factor at less than a ¼ inch (6.35 MM) to maintain a good flex inside the bell, which gives the shock some cushion before being jammed one direction or the other. Picture shows a solid bushing and what happens once it starts to cut on the sharp edges. So they need some attention on a rebuild.

Speaking of the two I’m working on now, one has 4 spot welds in the bottom (possible original), the other only 2 to hold the plate in place. The walls on the side are smaller on one by 3/16 inch (4.76 MM). Doesn’t sound like much but it keeps the pre made rubber washer from setting on the bottom and the crush factor becomes like the old Welsh ones that popped the rivet.

Baxtor has made the lower bushing for the largest size we have run across, so the answer for the smaller ones is to rasp the bushing to the needed diameter. So a fitting would be required if you were going to sale a kit to a owner, not all would be will to try that. Getting your mechanic to trim bushings might not happen. Already had owners with mechanic’s that will only install what they can buy.

Mostly the members send me their systems and I replenish with the best bushings I have on hand. Of course this is a no go for someone with a daily driver. In that case I try to send a finished one from the few I get back and the ones members have donated. We have a great bunch of members.

Baxtor does his best to send enough, there in lays a problem, getting him to receive or even take compensation; I’ll figure that out, right now the shipping is a killer. So far we have not thought about money or profit. Let’s see what we have a year or so from now. Right now we are in good shape on the lower inner bushing and Baxtor has made a new top one that in cooperates my shelf for the washer and a ridge at the top to help keep things centered. Mine is the red (Energy Suspension), Baxtor’s black and his own mold.

Both fit nicely inside the top plate and the new one will save a bunch of time, cutting and drilling the ES one takes a while to get centered and cut to size. Only have a couple here of the new ones and will use those in my car and another one that’s promised.

While Baxtor was making up some of the thicker donuts, he did a very hard poly type one and I guess if you were doing track day or some road racing, this would be the ticket. As it’s a one off, we talked about a price and if it’s something that you might want, PM me, not wanting to get into advertizing, just giving you a where we are for now. Picture of the hard white one and it might give a harsh ride for the around town drive, not sure, it might be our best effort. LOL

It’s a great fit on the bell with the four spot wells. How good is it, to be determined .
All of the big donuts, be it mine or Baxtor's are drilled for the studs and screws that hold the plates together on the inner fender. Makes it lie very flat to get full effort of the donut.
That’s about all I can add for now.

Last edited by cjd777; 12-26-2021 at 02:27 PM. Reason: pictures did not come out
The following 9 users liked this post by cjd777:
blindside (12-27-2021), DavidYau (12-28-2021), giandanielxk8 (12-26-2021), Hdpartsman00XKR (01-01-2022), Jon89 (12-26-2021), Ken Dreger (01-06-2022), kstevusa (12-26-2021), michaelh (12-28-2021), TedV (12-27-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)