XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Anothere question about radios/stereos

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 08:13 AM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Anothere question about radios/stereos

I have literally spent hours sifting through threads and comments about replacing the radio/stereo head units and ,sadly, am still a bit confused.

1/Forget about steering wheel controls , they are not important to me.
2/I do not have a navigation system or cd changer in the trunk; just a radio/cassette.
3/Wiring does not scare me. Even though there may be a harness adaptor available in the UK , Autoleads PC2-55-4 Car Audio Harness Adaptor Lead, and I have a very reliable way of getting Amazon UK stuf.

Is the problem with fitting a new head a physical issue ? Basically that there is no "dash kit" to make the new head fit in the hole where the old one was ?

My apologies if I'm just being thick and this has been explained before

Old 09-18-2017, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Is there a reason to replace the radio? Radios typically can be repaired, or procured cheaply on eBay. This is for the stock /factory look, but the low tech unit. FWIW, I believe US (North American?) head units have no lock code after being powered off.

The folks that have done this conversion seem to have mentioned the trim kit of the XJ series to be workable. I do not have the specifics, but I would assume the older X308 series.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:48 AM

I want to replace it because it's a plain old radio/cassette unit.........I have not owned a cassette tape for about 30 years or anything that could even play a cassette tape for over 20 years. I DON'T want a cd changer in the truck.

I would like to have Bluetooth connectivity so that I could stream from my phone or answer calls and USB would be nice as well....so that implies a new head unit.

All I am trying to find out is why it seem to be such a problem to install one ? Is it a physical limitation/ problem ? As I stated before I don't care about steering wheel controls and wiring a head units does not bother me either.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry_Tucker
I would like to have Bluetooth connectivity so that I could stream from my phone or answer calls and USB would be nice as well....so that implies a new head unit.
I don't want you to change your mind, but for information, another head unit is not required, really. There are a couple of options to wire in an external input for music as well as adding a Bluetooth adapter for the phone. The head unit already has a phone input and a mute function. The connector is under the armrest. So you can pair your phone to the Bluetooth box, and wire in the box to send the call to the radio. When the call comes in, the radio mutes and the call takes over. You would need to install a microphone, as part of the kit. I have a Motorola unit. Folks have used a Parrot. There are several options.

For music, it is a bit harder. Folks have hacked the tape player with an external jack. Of course there are cassette "tapes" with Bluetooth. There is also the option of hijacking the sound wires of the CD player (which you do not have, I believe), and last the option of using a WIRED FM adapter. That FM adapter takes in the sound from the Bluetooth box, and sends it to a specific pretend radio station straight to the antenna input of the radio, over a WIRE. This is not the old wireless FM transmitter that caught a lot of interference.

I have this FM wired transmitter, so I am familiar with the installation.

The net result is invisible. The radio remains consistent with the original design. The trim is "perfect" because it is unchanged. The steering controls work, which is nice for the volume. The net result is OK sound and a workable solution, but certainly not something to be ecstatic about.

Just my experience. Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (09-19-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 12:13 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

The 2004 Model year XK8 has a strange offset. The space is not big enough for a 2DIN unit, and with the stock backplate a 1DIN is a bit off.

The solution is to get the 1DIN plate from a 1997 XK8 (~$35) and then you can install any 1DIN you would like. I would avoid flip out units as the gear selector will interfere with its operation.

You can search posts (look at the FAQ or search me and stereo) and find the exact part numbers to make a 1DIN install pretty straightforward.

-dsd

Old 09-18-2017, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the answers:

fmertz: If I can pair the smart phone to the radio for calls , why would it not also be able to play streamed music.

dsd: thanks for the advice on the 1 DIN plate

You have also answered my question.......that the issue is physical size

Old 09-18-2017, 08:13 PM

Has anybody tried this product TranzIt BLU HF ? It seems like the ideal solution.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:16 PM
Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Barry,
I just replaced my 97 radio with the kit for the 97. Not sure what your dash looks like but I thought your heating and lighting controls were different then a 97 so buying that jag facia plate and the din adaptor may not work for ya. I used an Axxis steering wheel controller for mine that was pretty easy to set up and works pretty good. A little delay but at least the volume and the select works so I can be lazy. Sound from my $100 clarion radio is as good if not better then the stock unit plus now I have a 16 gig sd card with 3000 songs on it. It does have bluetooth as well but I'm not that tech savy (well really I don't talk to people).

Last edited by TreVoRTasmin; 09-18-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:06 AM
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Apparently this kit will do the job.
If you scroll down to the vehicle listing, page 3 I think, you can see it states it will fit your 2004 model XK8.
Bit on the pricy side in my mind, but it looks like it will solve your problem of fitting a new single din head unit with bluetooth connectivity if you don't want to use the aux plug that is supposed to be in there already and fit extra stuff.
Might be worth an email to the company just to check.

BACK SINGLE DIN JAGUAR XK8 CONVERTIBLE 1996 to 2005 FULL FASCIA FITTING KIT | eBay

Old 09-19-2017, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry_Tucker
fmertz: If I can pair the smart phone to the radio for calls , why would it not also be able to play streamed music.
I suppose if you could get your audio to stream to the phone connection that might work - but it would only be in mono for a start.

On my Motorola bluetooth adaptor, there are separate stereo outputs for music streaming along with the mono connection for the phone.

On mine it is wired up as fmertz has described, to the connector under the armrest. There are a number of options to get the stereo output from a bluetooth adaptor to your existing head unit. I preferred to keep everything looking original, but if you want to change the head unit that is probably going to be your easiest option.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:54 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

This is what I used in my 03

LJA6318AB - 97 Console Bezel
Nexxia FP-14-00 Jaguar XJ Facia

Old 09-19-2017, 10:46 AM

Thanks for all the very informative replies

I think I will go with the TranzIt BLU HF unit. It seems to do everything I want plus it retains the original appearance ( no shiny new stereo for the punks to steal )