XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Antenna issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2020 | 05:54 AM
|
Default Antenna issues

Good morning all,

The antenna on my 98 XK8 has problems retracting (goes up with no problem, just doesn't like retracting without some "help") so I figure it must be the toothed cable wearing out. Replacements are dirt cheap on Ebay, any recommendations for a replacement that you've had good luck with?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Old 08-26-2020 | 06:26 AM

I replaced my full antenna around 7years ago now,just your basic electric telescopic antenna from the local auto shop,very easy to re install and still works perfect and looks just like the original antenna,paid around £15👍

Old 08-26-2020 | 08:41 AM

As long as you get the right size it shouldn't make any difference. The antenna goes up whenever the radio is on even if you're listening to a source other than the radio. Wind resistance will bend the antenna again involving replacement at regular intervals. Since I only listen to USB sources I added a switch to the antenna so it'll only go up when and if I need it. There's thread here on how to do that. It's a 30 minute job at most.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...antenna-24564/
and here's a photo of where I placed the switch.

Switch placement for antenna added at rear lip of center console insert.

The following users liked this post:
Scottsgreenjag (08-27-2020)
Old 08-26-2020 | 09:57 AM

If your old antennae is not broken off inside the motor, and it sounds like it is not, then the replacement could go in with no problem. There is some grease inside the motor, and it may be that the grease has hardened over time. Not that hard to pull the entire unit and open it up, but I would try installing the replacement first and see if it works OK. On removing the old antennae, be sure that the little collar comes out of the antenna proper as you pull out the antenna and cable. You can see the part on your new antenna. I use a knife ( be careful) to gently pry up the edge of this collar to get it started, and then pliers to pull the rest of the way out. It will be in there pretty tight.

I bought a couple of replacement antenna's on the net. Turns out they are all made by the same company (ARO , IIRC), so might ease your selection.

Old 08-27-2020 | 05:24 AM
|

Originally Posted by darbysan
If your old antennae is not broken off inside the motor, and it sounds like it is not, then the replacement could go in with no problem. There is some grease inside the motor, and it may be that the grease has hardened over time. Not that hard to pull the entire unit and open it up, but I would try installing the replacement first and see if it works OK. On removing the old antennae, be sure that the little collar comes out of the antenna proper as you pull out the antenna and cable. You can see the part on your new antenna. I use a knife ( be careful) to gently pry up the edge of this collar to get it started, and then pliers to pull the rest of the way out. It will be in there pretty tight.

I bought a couple of replacement antenna's on the net. Turns out they are all made by the same company (ARO , IIRC), so might ease your selection.
I'll go ahead and order the one on EBay that says it fits our XK8's and thanks for the tips on removal. Followed the link that Brobin posted and I'll do that mod, too. That thing is a monster when it's up.