XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Any chance we could get a separate sub-forum for performance and upgrade mods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

That would be worth a go, at least it would give you an idea of the popularity

Old 12-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

That would work just fine. Stuff like Avos' TS kit, the Ohlin suspension kit, NP's kits, pully and intercooler upgrades, XKR's various upgrades, posts on Mina and etc... that's just from recent memory, but I know there are a bunch of other enhancement threads that never made into the DIY/Fixit threads...

The following users liked this post:
User 070620 (03-05-2013)
Old 12-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

OK guys, done! It's a little empty at the minute, LOL

But we will work on that one together.

Just let either myself or any of the Mod team know about a 'hot thread' and we will add it, together with any that we also find.

To keep the 'Index' clean and comment free the thread will remain closed for public posting.

We'll see how it goes.

Body lift kits, 22" spinners etc will not be included.

Please pay attention to future thread titles, 'My Modifications' all over the shop, will be somewhat taxing to say the least.

Last edited by Translator; 12-07-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I would agree with that also, if you had a modification section for all models it would not do as well as a model specific section...

I have no idea how much extra work that would make for the mods?
Some time ago, I was wondering about powertrain specific sections. This thought was on the basis that for example a discussion about a AJ27 engine is just as valid for a XJ owner as it would be for a S-Type or XK owner. The same is true for the Merc transmission or a ZF transmission. There may be minor differences, but for the most part the information is common to all applications of the unit.

In reading this thread, I finally recall that there is a "Jaguar Engines" section. The reason that it was forgotten, is that it is very low traffic.

There is a great deal to be said for paying attention to other sections of the forum.

One example is the recent interest in changing supercharger oil. There are several old how-to's with pictures in the X308 section, but there have been recent posts in the XKR and X350 sections asking for how-to's with pictures.

There are really only a few viable methods of finding information reliably. One is the JF site search, another is searching the site using an external search engine with the "site:jaguarforums.com" clause, and the final one is to be in the habit of reading JF by using the "new posts" feature as is the case for most moderators.

Reliance on a "special corner" means that information *will* be missed. One reason for this is overfamiliarity and the other is overdependence.

edit: btw, one proof of the pudding is going to be the "views" counter attached to the thread. undoubtedly it will start with a bang, but once it settles down you may find that it gets mostly ignored as is the fate of many stickies.

Last edited by plums; 12-07-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I could be delving in to the realms of fantasy here, especially if you moderators don't have access to the program code, but if you do, and know how to code list boxes, what about a list box system to threads?

This would catagorise threads by subject.

Options in the list box would comprise major catagories (subforums) such as engine, gearbox, steering/suspension, bodywork, electrical, mods, etc, and anyone posting a thread would have to associate it with an option.

If each option generated an icon, anyone looking for info in a given area ( one of the above options ) could pick out threads on that subject in seconds, just by scrolling to the threads with the relevant icons beside them.

Inevitably some threads will by mis-catagorised, or be on subjects that may span more than one option ( so put multiple icons by those threads ), but as a quick find system, it would have the potential of saving a lot of fruitless searching through titles and content, where the input string currently throws up many results that often have little or no relevance to the info being sought.

Of course it's all pie in the sky if the moderators don't have access to the forum code, but somebody does, because option list boxes are already all over the place on the forums, for example the font option and font size option list boxes.

Last edited by Roadhogg; 12-13-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

@ Roadhogg, it's hard enough just to get people to post in the correct forum, it's nigh on impossible to actually get the correct information in a thread title let alone that they include their own model details in a signature or Garage.

Asking folk and running a system where it was required to make the post in the correct area of the car would be a full time and impossible job.

Plus, we don't have coding privileges, imagine the mischief that we could get up to if IB the owners gave us that one. LOL

Re Searching, when you have entered your String, use the Web and Images option, top left in the results screen, you'll be surprised.

If anyone has read this far, I've OPENED the Modifications Thread so that you can post your Mods into it, or Link back to your Mod threads.

Some self policing will be required, duff posts, dodgy comments, etc will be removed, but I/we will endeavour to update my first post for Indexing as and if required.

It is a bit, suck it and see, at the moment, so it is down to you Modifying XK8 folk to make this work. If not, it will be merged into the FAQ under Modifications.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

When we say "modification" are we covering all kinds from body to power to interior?

Old 12-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The "tools" are already there, as in the categories/subforums (would help if i could spell, aka "catagories", tut).
It was intended as more of a "drag em by the nose" approach, instead of the "hope they find their own way" approach, which they/we are not doing very well. But ...

Originally Posted by Translator
@ Roadhogg, it's hard enough just to get people to post in the correct forum, it's nigh on impossible to actually get the correct information in a thread title let alone that they include their own model details in a signature or Garage.

Asking folk and running a system where it was required to make the post in the correct area of the car would be a full time and impossible job.
Sorry boss, i see your point

Plus, we don't have coding privileges, imagine the mischief that we could get up to if IB the owners gave us that one. LOL
Now there's a thought

Re Searching, when you have entered your String, use the Web and Images option, top left in the results screen, you'll be surprised.
I'll give it a try, thanks

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,989 Likes on 2,125 Posts

I just posted a bunch of 'em up there.

It seems to me a good idea to have them up there so they do not get lost.

Some of these would be awful difficult to find if not for this section, for example who is going to be searching for: Looking for a stiffie! But also flexible. ???

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-10-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member

@ XKRacer, all sensible modifications. Body, Powertrain, Audio, Interior.....

No repairs though, they belong in the main Tech section.

Thanks White', just the ticket, you guys are familiar with the existing 'Modifications' threads.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds like a great idea.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,989 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Acemaster5
This sounds like a great idea.
Hey Ace...just look at the first post in the XK8/XKR section...it is already done!!! It is an open thread and folks can add more mod post references to it.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-28-2012 at 07:43 AM.