XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Anyone have a CD changer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2023 | 05:43 PM
|
Default Anyone have a CD changer?

After taking my CD changer out twice trying to fix it I decided I needed to find another donor unit. Need an: LNF4160AA after 2000 (plug is different) My vehicle is a 2003 vert. Wondering if some one can part with one?

Thanks in advance

Cheers!

Old 06-26-2023 | 10:54 PM

Honestly I just bought a 97 xk8 and it has an alpine brand 6 disk changer in the trunk. I have no intention of using it, and would be willing to part with it but I can’t say for sure if it will fit your model year. I honestly don’t know if it is stock or after market but I can take some pics tomorrow and some of the plugs/ what not. The previous owner emptied the cds out of it when I took possession of the car so I know it worked. If you’re interested let me know, and I’ll investigate it further. I’m not looking to get rich off it either but I’d rather help out a fellow xk8 owner hoping for some good karma in the future lol. I’m in western Massachusetts, so a fair price and shipping cost it could be yours if it’ll work. Cheers

The following 4 users liked this post by stevis05:
cjd777 (06-27-2023), Johnken (06-27-2023), Shoreguy (06-28-2023), sklimii (06-28-2023)
Old 06-27-2023 | 08:16 AM
|

I’m not looking to get rich off it either but I’d rather help out a fellow xk8 owner hoping for some good karma in the future lol.

That's awesome and I think you will find on this forum that it's all about helping each other out. Wow what a concept lol, Unfortunately the 97 just wouldn't work for me but I wholeheartedly appreciate the offer.

Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (06-27-2023)
Old 06-27-2023 | 06:33 PM

I absolutely have had nothing but a good experience with this forum. I started my membership back in 08 when I bought an 04 x-type. Had to trade that car in unfortunately due to hard times in 2011 and I’ve loaned for another jag ever since. Finally got one now that I’m in a better place. Wouldn’t trade it for the world. I’m sorry the cd player won’t work. Not be be stupid but there’s no adapter cable available or something like that to use an older one? Anyway good luck with the search

Old 06-28-2023 | 06:49 AM

Andrew - what's up with the cd player? Is it giving the no disc error?

Old 06-28-2023 | 10:54 AM
|

Hey Mr. Steve

Well I had; No Disc, E01 and magazine stopped ejecting (had to beat on it). I took it out twice cleaning and lubing parts and it was still hanging up. Unfortunately, the third time it didn't make it through the rebuild process after being hit with a large hammer lol. I found another donor unit (waiting for shipment) and hopefully I will get my high tech audio system back up and running. Was a bit frustrating buying a used unit because you are buying a not so great part that's 20+ years old so my fingers are crossed.

Thanks for checking in Steve how's life treating you? Guess summer is finally here but, that's OK I was looking forward to it!

Cheers!

cjd777 (07-01-2023)
Old 06-28-2023 | 11:11 AM
|

Hey Stevis05 (Steve?)

We all have our ups and downs and it sounds like things are going better for you now. I've always found if your heart is in the right place karma has no choice but to kick in and save the day. Bravo for you and thanks again for your offer. Also, congrats on your new Jag you're a rockstar again!

Cheers!

Old 06-28-2023 | 05:46 PM

Yeah my name is Steve but my nickname in high school was Stevis….because I loved bevis and butthead show(don’t judge I was like 12 lol) anyway no problem glad to hear you got something on the way. I got a slew of minor issues to deal with on this xk8 but it’ll give me something to do. After posting I was doing some research on the cd players and stumbled on a site that sells a plug and play Bluetooth adapter for either trunk mount or behind head unit. It’s about 100 bucks and I’m thinking of getting it. I also ordered an antenna that’s black and flexible and only 8” tall (not retractable) cus I absolutely hate the “alien beacon” fitted to these cars. Just waiting for it to come in. Cheers man, keep us updated on the outcome!

cjd777 (07-01-2023)
Old 06-29-2023 | 10:45 AM
|

Hey Steve

Having a list of minor issues with an XK8 is pretty much the norm so don't feel singled out in any way. Bluetooth is the way to go if you're any kind of an audiophile and they're getting better and easier to integrate into any system. However, I think you need to decide what kind of car you want after all fixes, updates and upgrades are completed. This has come up on the forum many times before, basically do you want the technology, nuances and driving experience of the car like when it was new or some current day version? I'm a purist and want the same driving experience as the guy that rolled my car off the dealers lot 20 years ago. But that's just me, do whatever makes you happy.

Case in point: I remember my first car a 1971 Mustang Mach1 (I bought in 1977 for $700). It came with a basic factory radio which I wanted to upgrade so I went to the junk yard and pulled an aftermarket under dash 8 track player (Craig) woo hoo I was jacked lol. I installed it myself and even though it would switch tracks in the middle of a song it was the bomb. Now if I owned the same car today would I want to put a Bluetooth system in it? Absolutely not the experience would not the same. Funny thing is after all these years when I hear songs that I had in my 8 track collection I remember where the track changes were. Again, that's just me.

BTW I can see why many hate the power antenna however, when it extends it's one of the greatest examples of testosterone in the world. Not to mention you don't see them anymore so isn't that the point?

Cheers!

Stumpy (06-29-2023)
Old 06-30-2023 | 09:58 PM
|

I just wanted to wrap this thread up. Received my new to me CD changer that was out of a 2002 xj8. Put everything back together and yay I’m spinning hot hits again! Lol

Cheers!

The following 4 users liked this post by Shoreguy:
cjd777 (07-01-2023), michaelh (07-01-2023), sklimii (07-01-2023), TGraves (07-02-2023)
Old 07-01-2023 | 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Shoreguy
Hey Mr. Steve

Well I had; No Disc, E01 and magazine stopped ejecting (had to beat on it). I took it out twice cleaning and lubing parts and it was still hanging up. Unfortunately, the third time it didn't make it through the rebuild process after being hit with a large hammer lol. I found another donor unit (waiting for shipment) and hopefully I will get my high tech audio system back up and running. Was a bit frustrating buying a used unit because you are buying a not so great part that's 20+ years old so my fingers are crossed.

Thanks for checking in Steve how's life treating you? Guess summer is finally here but, that's OK I was looking forward to it!

Cheers!
Hey Andrew - all well here in the Low Country! Yeah the damn E01 - getting the same here (round 4) but lately just drive listening to the growl of the V8. Debating whether to remove and fix again or just replace with an updated system. If you get down this way - let me know and we'll meet up for some cold beverages

Old 07-01-2023 | 06:00 AM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear that the replacement CD changer is working for you. The one in my wife's 2006 XK8 probably has not been played in 10 years or more so who knows if it still works or not and I am not going to tempt fate by messing with it....

Old 07-01-2023 | 08:30 AM
|

Hey Steve

So four times wasn't a charm? lol After having the unit apart a few times it's kinda puzzling trying to figure out what actually goes wrong with them, I wouldn't call it simple but it's hard to tell where the problem is. You can tell the lube and grease either rubs off or dries up so sure it needs to be cleaned (wasn't bad at all) and re lubed. Well that didn't fix mine and it sounds like you're not having much luck with it as well. It seems once you start having trouble with them it's just a matter of time before you have to replace or upgrade..As far as upgrading I guess it's a personal choice and how often you drive the car.

Steve, if you're thinking about possibly replacing the unit there's a guy (Tim) on the Marketplace forum that is parting out a silver 01/02 xk8 and the cd changer is available with the cartridge for a pretty fair price check it out.

I used to make it down to Charleston a couple times a year for medical appointments at the VA hospital but, since the new facility opened up in Myrtle Beach I haven't needed to very often. However, I'm overdue for a couple of road trips and taking a run to Charleston is on my list as well as making it up to Wayne's place in North Carolina for my shock mounts. We'll make it happen and I look forward to hanging out. BTW I know you're active with the car club and was wondering if you have any events coming up? Let me know and be well my friend.

Cheers!

Old 07-01-2023 | 08:41 AM
|

not going to tempt fate by messing with it...... Isn't it tempting fate to power up or change any settings in this car. lol There are times I'll look at an accessory or setting and think about changing it only to decide not to because what if and I don't want to fix anything that day hahaha.

​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ Just curious Jon how many miles do you have on your 06 now?

Cheers!

Old 07-02-2023 | 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

Andrew,

The 2006 XK8 is my wife's car, now just a toy doing less than 2,000 miles per year, and the current odometer reading is just over 125,600 miles. It was her daily driver from early February 2012 until late October 2018 when she decided to go back to a Lexus SUV for practicality reasons....

Old 07-02-2023 | 08:51 AM
|

Hey Jon
I think it's great that your wife decided to keep her jag or was it you who couldn't part with it? In Jag years I guess 125000 is a lot of miles but, the way you have cared for and maintained the car that mileage is insignificant. I currently have 73000 on my 03 and I would guess I put around 2000 miles a year as well however I'm trying to use the car more for errands around town and nights out. Hope all is well

Cheers!

Old 07-02-2023 | 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Andrew,

If it were solely up to me I would have sold the XK8 after she went back to a Lexus SUV as her daily driver. She has driven her XK8 only twice during the past two years, so I am the one who has to take it out for exercise every week and at 6-foot-7, I am far too tall for this car (I have no headroom, leg room, knee room, shoulder room, or foot room). She claims it is "a beautiful work of art" and wants to keep it for that reason. I view it as something else I must insure, pay property taxes on, and maintain. It is registered only in her name so unfortunately I cannot sell it out from under her. Sooner or later she will realize that it is not prudent to keep a vehicle that she never drives and I hope she will finally decide it is time to sell....

Old 07-03-2023 | 10:06 AM
|

Hey Jon

That explains a lot. I have often wondered why you always refer to the car as my wife's 2006 xk8 and now I know. Honestly, I don't blame you for having a less than favorable attitude towards the car. If I wasn't the one driving and loving the car I would find it hard to maintain and keep paying (anything) to keep it. Also, agree 6'7 is way too tall for that car my buddy rode with me recently and he truly struggled to semi fit and he is only 6'3. Driven twice in two years ouch! I had another buddy whose wife had a 70s vintage MB SL (white btw) and it was a very similar situation where my friend couldn't even tell me the last time it was driven. To make matters worse they had a small garage so the car was always an obstacle and a constant reminder that it wasn't being used. One thing I have to agree with your wife is that I think the car is a work of art as well. However, works of art usually hang on the wall and don't take up garage space.

Cheers!

Old 07-04-2023 | 06:03 PM

Hey Steve

So four times wasn't a charm? lol After having the unit apart a few times it's kinda puzzling trying to figure out what actually goes wrong with them, I wouldn't call it simple but it's hard to tell where the problem is. You can tell the lube and grease either rubs off or dries up so sure it needs to be cleaned (wasn't bad at all) and re lubed. Well that didn't fix mine and it sounds like you're not having much luck with it as well. It seems once you start having trouble with them it's just a matter of time before you have to replace or upgrade..As far as upgrading I guess it's a personal choice and how often you drive the car.

Steve, if you're thinking about possibly replacing the unit there's a guy (Tim) on the Marketplace forum that is parting out a silver 01/02 xk8 and the cd changer is available with the cartridge for a pretty fair price check it out.

I used to make it down to Charleston a couple times a year for medical appointments at the VA hospital but, since the new facility opened up in Myrtle Beach I haven't needed to very often. However, I'm overdue for a couple of road trips and taking a run to Charleston is on my list as well as making it up to Wayne's place in North Carolina for my shock mounts. We'll make it happen and I look forward to hanging out. BTW I know you're active with the car club and was wondering if you have any events coming up? Let me know and be well my friend.

Cheers!
Hey Andrew will check out Tim's marketplace ad as well as Coventry Foundation's store. About time VA opened a facility in MB!!!! As for club activities - Sept 28 through Oct 1st JSSC and JCNA are having an International Jaguar Festival at Saluda Shoals - will send info as well as post in the Lower Atlantic Regional section

Happy Independence Day!

Old 07-04-2023 | 07:18 PM

Hey Steve

Cheers!
Hey Andrew will check out Tim's marketplace ad as well as Coventry Foundation's store. About time VA opened a facility in MB!!!! As for club activities - Sept 28 through Oct 1st JSSC and JCNA are having an International Jaguar Festival at Saluda Shoals - will send info as well as post in the Lower Atlantic Regional section

Happy Independence Day!