XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Anyone know anything about trackers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 11:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone know anything about trackers?

Hi All,

today I was removing my OEM motorola phone kit so I could install bluetooth. I found a black box next to the phone module (on the bulkhead below the rear seat) - first i thought it was part of the phone kit but then realised it wasn't connected to the kit at all. I opened the box and found a battery (see pics).

Google tells me that it's a Motorola tracker but I can't find any other info. I think this is a drain on my battery and I was just going to remove it - then i thought it may be connected to the immobiliser in some way.

Does anyone have any experioence of these devices - is it safe to just remove?

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts

Can't be sure, but I would guess it is safe to remove.
But - battery drain would be minimal, and it could be a selling point if, and when, you sell the car. The subscription has probably lapsed, but the unit itself is probably still active.
I have exactly the same situation (and I found mine in the same place as yours !) - I have kept mine in the car. If it ever got stolen, I suspect I could ring up the Tracker Company, pay them some money to "re-activate" the subscription, and try to trace my car.
Even if the internal battery is now suspect, it can't be more than a few milliamps which, in the great scheme of things, should not be an issue.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Interesting find, especially that Devon David found his in same spot.

The previous owner of my car had a subscription too. Where is this phone kit located? Center console? I've always wondered where mine might be.

Reminds me of a story about a guy who bought a nice car used and had it insured for stated value. One day it was stolen, called police, got a report and was about to go to insurance company to collect the $$$. Then a knock at his front door. Opens it to find 2 detectives.

Turns out the previous owner had one of the tracking devices installed! This guy had no idea. As soon as the police report hit the locator process started. They found the car in his best friends garage!

This guy was just trying to get some quick cash and pretended to be the victim.

Well whether it's an urban legend or not, it's a good story - You could imagine how that could happen.

John

Old 06-01-2017, 01:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll probably just leave it in then.

John the phone control module was fixed to the bulkhead next to where the tracker is - it was already removed when I took the photo. Now trying to work out how to butcher the wiring loom that went to it to connect the parrot.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (06-01-2017)