Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts
Old 05-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a dealer owned car. Nice.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

10.2k reserve not met, 97k miles?

I think you can do a lot better than that unless that wheel and color combo are exactly what you want, then it's worth whatever you're willing to pay for.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Got mine for $8600

Mine is the same car but a light tan interior with 137,500 miles. It's a lot more miles than that one, for sure. Any used car with higher miles is going to have issues that will be additional expenses. Mine needed new front and back struts, mounts, and bushings. I chose to have the coolant system hoses completely replaced. The driver's seat won't move, so I'm having its controller rebuilt. The ABS module is now rebuilt also. It will cost me around $6000 to have all of this work done, but the car should last for a long time and the engine and transmission are in good shape. My next project will be to install new leather onto the front seats. The paint will do for a while, but will be re-painted next year. I would hate to have paid $18,000 for this car AND have to do the repairs that I'm having done.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by xenophobe
10.2k reserve not met, 97k miles?

I think you can do a lot better than that unless that wheel and color combo are exactly what you want, then it's worth whatever you're willing to pay for.

I want a silver, quartz, or white car with black interior. Looking at mostly XK8s but this seemed good.

I have been searching all the internet sights, If you spot better deals, add a post. thanks

Old 05-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepaa
I want a silver, quartz, or white car with black interior. Looking at mostly XK8s but this seemed good.

I have been searching all the internet sights, If you spot better deals, add a post. thanks

Let me know if you get serious about it Steve and I can have a look...this dealer is about 10 miles from me.

The following users liked this post:
joycesjag (05-19-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Engine coolant low, records?

I would skip it.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cerberus66
Engine coolant low, records?

I would skip it.
hum, where did you see the low coolant.

I called and they don't know whether the timing chain tensioners have been replaced. I guess they are looking for some earnest money before they would pop the covers off to take a look. This even though they say it has been serviced at their facility.

Steve, maybe you can pass by and take a look. They might give better answers to someone who drives up in one checking for someone else? No rush, I have been looking in LA this weekend. I figure I can find the right car in about two months. thanks for the offer

Old 05-20-2012, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

I'm sure you've thought of this but black leather seats and a semi-tropical climate don't (literally) sit comfortably.
I promise any bikini clad bimbettes will leap out faster than they jump in.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Here

Old 05-20-2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
I'm sure you've thought of this but black leather seats and a semi-tropical climate don't (literally) sit comfortably.
I promise any bikini clad bimbettes will leap out faster than they jump in.
I am looking to replace my 2000 XK8 which was totaled in Feb. It was a silver and black car. We prefer that color combination. At our ages we don't wear swim suits in a car anymore.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Here

oops, missed that thanks

Old 05-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

I called and they don't know whether the timing chain tensioners have been replaced. I guess they are looking for some earnest money before they would pop the covers off to take a look. This even though they say it has been serviced at their facility.

Steve, maybe you can pass by and take a look. They might give better answers to someone who drives up in one checking for someone else? No rush, I have been looking in LA this weekend. I figure I can find the right car in about two months. thanks for the offer
Hi Steve-

I was not too far so I stopped by. First off slightly fishy that the ebay bidding is closed. I asked the salesman about it..got some double talk. I am guessing that someone won it, but has not paid. They will sell to the first paying buyer I think. FWIW, this is the largest Jag dealership in the mid-Atlantic region.

Observations:
Believable that this is a one owner car, always serviced in house. Salesman gave me a copy of service records, but a lot of detail has been expunged. Previous owner traded for a 2012 XKR. On lot about a month.

IMO, somewhat above average for age and mileage.

-Tensioners have not been done.
-Visible body very good, only minor chips in front, no dents. Clear coat good. Body appears straight.
-One front wheel well had worn paint and some surface rust where the wheel well meets the lower body. May be from paint abrasion in that area, maybe from a gravel driveway.
-Top is excellent, does not show much typical creasing and no apparent wear...may have been replaced at some point? Top operated fine.
-Wheels good, but have evidence of less than top notch repaint.
-Headlights very good, no typical moisture damage.
-Tailights fair, need a polish.
-Wheel center caps are trash.
-Front tires-Pirellis with 1/4 -1/2 life left
-Rear tires- Continentals...nearly new
-Brakes 1/2 or less pad left all around
-Power seats worked OK
-Evidence if overspray under rear bumper...probable repair
-Wood, very good with modest color fade
-Intake hose had cracked plastic bracket at throttle body and wrong bolt
-Airbox missing bolt
-Fingernail scratches on trunk finisher (handle)..may be able to buff out
-Drivers seat...worn stitching on bolster, evidence of paint-on spot leather touchup
-Seatbelts-typical fade for black belts.
-Headliner...clean..no stains
-A-pillars and header...typical loose fabric (deteriorated foam), 1/8" round tear in center of header fabric.
-A/C..works OK, but might need slight top up
-Coolant light has been fixed.
-I took a brief test drive. Car seems to perform normally for this model. -Driver door panel noise and squeaky throttle pedal noted. Suspension OK, no major faults, but a little loose and probably would benefit from some overhaul.

Asking price is $14,641. Link is here: 2000 Jaguar XK8 Supercharged (NAVIGATION) 97,435 miles - Stock #14507A - Internet Price: $14,641 - Retail Price: $17,349

From my experience, these guys do negotiate.

PM and I will give you the sales contact if you want to pursue it. I can also scan the service records if you want.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-20-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 AM

Thanks for the report, steve.
The tensioners and expunging of service records is a likely deal breaker for me. When I bought my 2000 2 years ago, I got all the meticulous records from the previous owner.
But, how could the Jag dealer not recommend replacing the chain tensioners or how could someone who always had service done at the dealer not change the tensioners if recommended?

Old 05-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the report, steve.
The tensioners and expunging of service records is a likely deal breaker for me. When I bought my 2000 2 years ago, I got all the meticulous records from the previous owner.
But, how could the Jag dealer not recommend replacing the chain tensioners or how could someone who always had service done at the dealer not change the tensioners if recommended?
I got a similar b.s. line from the salesman that you did, 'The mechanic checked over the car and the tensioners did not need to be changed'. I suppose they have a car sized MRI machine to image them with the valve covers still on.

IMO, the tensioners are would not be a deal breaker if you can reduce the purchase price by the replacement cost.

The 'summary' service records were somewhat of a joke, however. It does show the car was serviced regularly. It also shows that they were successful in regularly selling this customer every BG aftermarket service under the sun. Actual repairs showed no more detail than 'engine', 'rear susp', 'int trim', etc. Repairs during the warranty period were listed as 'repair order purged from system'. Really makes you wonder what they are hiding....and if there is nothing to hide this kind of stuff does them more harm than good.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-21-2012 at 06:44 AM.