XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Aspects that you LIKE/LOVE about our XK8/R's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well Dale, IS it a Chick Magnet?
Brian

Not sure I want to go there - BUT - it is my concern that it is a Cop Magnet! I seem to see them everywhere these days - and I don't remember ever worrying that in about prior cars... even red convets and black t-birds! DaleD

Old 06-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

It's definitely a chick magnet. Several "chicks" have stopped me in parking lots to compliment the car, and I've only had it a few weeks. However, I did let a friend of mine drive it, and I felt gay the whole time. Two dudes are just not supposed to ride around in a convertible together. It just ain't right.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
However, I did let a friend of mine drive it, and I felt gay the whole time. Two dudes are just not supposed to ride around in a convertible together. It just ain't right.
Ahem!

Old 06-19-2010, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

I just thought of something else I like! The little sunglasses holder is awesome! In my other cars I put them on the dashboard and they go sliding all over the place and getting scratched. The sunglasses holder was a great idea!

Old 06-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Sam
Where is the sunglass holder at? I never knew there was one.
Doug

Old 06-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to the left of the Steering Wheel on the dash. There is a little slot that you can grab to pull and it opens up a compartment large enough for your sunglasses.
Brian

Old 06-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts
Default Reviving a dead thread but. . .

There is another small poor design feature that I don't like. This relates to the window wipes (or whatever you call them) on the driver's and passenger's doors. These look so 1960's the way they extend above the sill line. I like driving with the window opened and my arm resting on the sill, and the way these rubber pieces bite into my arm is uncomfortable.

Doug

The following users liked this post:
landmannnn (06-11-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I would gladly sacrifice some trunk space for a slightly less MASSIVE *** Come on, Jaguar, what were you thinking? The aesthetics of these kinds of cars is everything; if I want to carry stuff, I'll use my Transit van.

And while I'm in rant mode...

- I'm 'only' 6'2", but the seat doesn't quite go far enough back
- the remote key fob keeps hitting my knee when I'm driving
- the Recaro seats aren't as comfy as they look
- the reliability of all things electric is decidedly dodgy
- the OE satnav is both pathetic and supremely ugly (rectified with three-gauge mod)
- the stock exhaust isn't loud enough (rectified with sports exhaust)
- the windscreen wipers looks as if they're from the 1970s
- the 8ft aerial is a joke (rectified with RevSam's switch)

...but I still love you more than any car I've ever owned

Last edited by Frog; 06-10-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its great to see the appreciation from across the pond, XK is quite a rare beast here as well but people do tend to know what it is. However in Germany they have no idea, they think its an MX5 (Miata?) the last time I was there the look on peoples faces on the unlimited autobahn when you pass them at 150mph was superb. I was even chased down the road by a man driving an SLK desperate to find out what it was.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I owned an MX5 until a few weeks ago. I suppose it does look VAGUELY like the XK, but it felt like like a toy car once I had driven the Jag. In fact, that's why I got rid

Old 06-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, when I was looking for the sport car just for me, I went through all the Audi, Mercedes, BMW cars and even when I liked some of them, they didn´t catch my heart. Besides, those cars are over here very often owned by people who deserve no respect at all when it comes to the clean-handedness of their income... I really didn´t want to look as one of them. And when I found the XK8...if this car is a head-turner in CA, TX etc, imagine the attention here. You can see Ferraris or Maseratis here as well, but they are accepted as (mostly) the rich dad´s son toys or soccer players image... XK8 is different - even if it is a sport car, it is elegant, with obvious dignity and personally, it makes me feel very "British" - I even choose my clothing to match the car. The other drivers seeing the XK8 also behave better compared to what is unfortunately common here. And even if some fool tries to race past me, my favourite saying is - Jaguar doesn´t hunt for the flies...

Old 06-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Frog I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're obviously not a golfer. The XK8 is the ONLY convertible I know that you can get TWO golf bags in the trunk. Or two bales of hay if your a horse person..in a pinch.
P-)

And yes the (WTF?) key location. I inadvertently shut the car off with my knee on the freeway one day. It would not restart until I came to a stop.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love so many things about my XKR. What I was looking for when I decided to upgrade was a car that was as nice to drive as it was to look at. The XKR certainly is that!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:00 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I wanted an XK8 since they were introduced. As a kid, I raced E-Types on my slot car track and was in love with the lines of the car. But nothing matchs the kick of full throttle scream above 4500 rpms. Had lots of fast cars and bikes, but none compare to my Jag

Old 08-18-2011, 07:07 AM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Ditto RCSing, except for the torque thing (I have an XK8). I've owned mine now for three weeks, and I finally saw another XK8 today. They are very unusual, and I like that. I've also had people pull up next to me at stoplights and tell me that they love the car and ask what kind of car it is. That's pretty cool. I also like how smooth it rides. My Z3 would rattle me to death on a long drive. The Jag is as smooth as glass. The brakes are very nice and smooth. Everything about it is smooth. The transmission is smooth, the ride is smooth, the lines are smooth...

Smooth is a weird word.
Have a smoothie.....

Old 08-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

It's definitely a chick magnet. Several "chicks" have stopped me in parking lots to compliment the car, and I've only had it a few weeks. However, I did let a friend of mine drive it, and I felt gay the whole time. Two dudes are just not supposed to ride around in a convertible together. It just ain't right.
Right Rev....It`s like two guys on a motorcycle........NOT gonna do it.............

Old 08-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I live in a section of NJ that is loaded with Mercedes, BMW, Escalaides, a few XJ's and a few more XF's but I can go for weeks and not see another XK. I love the way their eyes follow you as you pass. The chicks that is! Jack

Old 08-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Man, I love the lines of the coupe. Low, sleek, muscular. I get comments nearly every day. And I absolutely love driving a car that is rare to see on the road. We've only got a few XK8s in town...I've seen probably four convertibles in my part of the state, and I've only seen one coupe.

And corners...the car just loves corners. Flat, sticky and quick. It's so much fun to drive.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

When I got my Jag it was pretty sick. I spent the whole winter working on it and learning about it. The first few months I had it on the road I kept asking myself why I got this car. It's expensive to work on, and hard to work on. Then I started to enjoy it. I noticed I got a compliment almost every time I drove it. I learned that XK8's really are reliable once you take care of the things mentioned in the forum. Now there is just something magic about this car. I really enjoy driving it, and I'm proud to be seen in it. Reading this forum is also a big plus.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

this thread was resurrected from a year of being dead thanks to seismicguy lol

i love the attention i get in this car. my girlfriend hates driving in it sometimes because people just STARE. especially cause i have a coupe with an arden body kit, roof spoiler and trunk spoiler and it stands out from everything on the road. she looks like the steroid addicted twin sister of an xk8/r and i love it

Quick Reply: Aspects that you LIKE/LOVE about our XK8/R's?