XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Aspects that you LIKE/LOVE about our XK8/R's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by captom
Well, when I was looking for the sport car just for me, I went through all the Audi, Mercedes, BMW cars and even when I liked some of them, they didn´t catch my heart.
Same here. Quite a few cars had some nice wow factor, and a few of the models I was considering I would have been happy with, but the XK was pretty much love at first sight.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonyisd3ad
this thread was resurrected from a year of being dead thanks to seismicguy lol

You're quite welcome! I have discovered that I love this car the best after parking it somewhere and leaving it for a while and then walk back to the car (especially if I'm walking towards the front). Never fails to put a smile on my face as I am looking at it

Doug

Old 08-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don,t live far from Jaguar Plant and back around 95/96 I used to see the X100 under heavy disguise, being road tested and even with all the camaflage you could see it was something special, and vowed one day I would have one when they came into my price range. On my third now!
When I see the "New" one that I,ve heard whispers about being tested you lot will be the first to know
Bob

Old 08-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

As a child I always loved the E-type, but when that was replaced by the XJS I felt Jaguar had lost their way. When the XK8/R was released I felt it was the true successor to the E-type, but I never thought I would be in a position to own one. It was sleek and elegant and looked fast even when at a standstill, something the German designers have never mastered (my neighbour has a Merc SLK and he just likes to run his hands over the smooth curves of the XK).

Not long ago, I was joking with my son, whether I should get an Aston Martin DB7 or and XK8. To my surprise, I discovered that a decent XK was within reach. With both my boys having their own cars I no longer needed a sensible family wagon and the search was on. Fortunately in the UK there are plenty of cars to choose from and I was able to find the right car for me. I have had it since March and have had a smile on my face ever since!

Old 08-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking We love our XK8/R 's

What's not to love about the XK8/R ? Those classic lines ,a worthy successer to the line of XKE's that graced our highways during the 60's and 70's.
In my opinion, the changes in the models starting in the 2007 wiih the bigger (clunky) front and rear ends,partcularly the newer XF models , have strayed from the Classic lines that made the Jaguar famous. I Know I'm going to get a lot of static because of my comments, but what the hay ; ! as much as I love my XK8, I would gladly exchange it in a heart beat for a well kept series 2 , XKE convertible.

Please don't shoot the messenger , I'm a newbie..

Stainless(Stan)
2005 XK8 Conv.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Only car better looking was the late '60s XJ13 V12. Watch it on youtube........ with a box of tissues
Bob

Attached Thumbnails Aspects that you LIKE/LOVE about our XK8/R's?-jaguar_xj13_v12_large.jpg  
Old 08-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

The looks are timeless and classic which is why the body style stayed around virtually unchanged for ten years. The power of the XKR is intoxicating, and the fact that you can buy almost perfect low mileage examples for less money that a five year old Camry makes them a true "economy" car. This is the reason I bought one about 2 years ago. I'll keep all my negative comments for another topic.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:57 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
It's definitely a chick magnet. Several "chicks" have stopped me in parking lots to compliment the car, and I've only had it a few weeks. However, I did let a friend of mine drive it, and I felt gay the whole time. Two dudes are just not supposed to ride around in a convertible together. It just ain't right.
This show was before my time but when I was a little kid it was still in reruns. I guess people were less worried about such things back then!

Old 08-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by renaultvation
As a child I always loved the E-type, but when that was replaced by the XJS I felt Jaguar had lost their way. When the XK8/R was released I felt it was the true successor to the E-type, but I never thought I would be in a position to own one. It was sleek and elegant and looked fast even when at a standstill, something the German designers have never mastered (my neighbour has a Merc SLK and he just likes to run his hands over the smooth curves of the XK).

Not long ago, I was joking with my son, whether I should get an Aston Martin DB7 or and XK8. To my surprise, I discovered that a decent XK was within reach. With both my boys having their own cars I no longer needed a sensible family wagon and the search was on. Fortunately in the UK there are plenty of cars to choose from and I was able to find the right car for me. I have had it since March and have had a smile on my face ever since!
My sentiments and situation exactly, except it's my girl & boy that have the car and their mom the other one. My 2003 Jag. is on the truck and will arrive tomorrow. It's been a 2-month search but believe the wait was worth it and found the right one.

Cheers

Old 11-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a good looking replica of the beloved E-Type Series 3 missing 4 pots. It's the closest ever to an Aston Martin. It's dirt cheap to own and buy. It's my most reliable jaguar to date.

Attached Thumbnails Aspects that you LIKE/LOVE about our XK8/R's?-jaguar-type-e-s%E9rie-iii-1972_slide0001_image001.jpg  
Old 11-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by iilium
I agree with Brian, I love the wood--I cannot imagine having one with the carbon fiber kit. Also, the torque in the XKR. But overwhelmingly, the lines of the coupe...
My feelings exactly. The new XKs (X150s) are engineering marvals but I hate their plastic dash. I also have a coupe and think its lines are beautiful.

Mark

Old 11-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I met this chap in the pub when I first moved to Houston about 5 years ago, and my wife and I became friends with him and his wife. He drove the most exquisite XKR.

I told him that when he wanted to sell, I'd take it off him. This year he decided to buy a new XF and I duly bought the XKR from him.

Whenever we meet up now he can't take his eyes off the XKR, he says to me, and I agree, that it's one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog
I owned an MX5 until a few weeks ago. I suppose it does look VAGUELY like the XK, but it felt like like a toy car once I had driven the Jag. In fact, that's why I got rid

the blue car is special

Old 11-11-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by bt965
I don,t live far from Jaguar Plant and back around 95/96 I used to see the X100 under heavy disguise, being road tested and even with all the camaflage you could see it was something special, and vowed one day I would have one when they came into my price range. On my third now!
When I see the "New" one that I,ve heard whispers about being tested you lot will be the first to know
Bob
wonder where u live ..i live in solihull

Old 11-11-2011, 01:43 PM

I live in solihull and work in birmingham..we are only a few miles from the jag factory.most xk8/r were asembled in browns lane coventry. I worked there for seven years as a computer engineer..only the dash and seats were made there..my point being xk8 and xkrs are rare in this area..may see one now and again..i live about 8 miles from stratford and there are many visiters there and I have seen them stop in the road to look at my car.a visitor to my shop said he had NEVER seen one b4.. I shall keep mine till one of us ..me or the car..go to the nackers yard

Old 11-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

You have a beautiful car dennisw. While the converables are very nice, to me, the coupes are the most beautiful cars ever made.

Mark

Old 11-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

The Lines... The LINES!!! OMG beautiful!

The XKR coupe stands as the most striking automobile I have ever owned for certain.

Then there's the absolute smoothness and precision feel of driving it. OK... There's the power. Not crazy power like my 1962 Dodge max wedge but hell yeah - the POWER. Like a jet plane just rotating from the runway into the air!

I was coming out of a store the other night, just after dark into a nearly empty parking lot and the light near my car was burned out - so the car was only illuminated from afar and just the silhouette was apparent. There was that split second of "Damn, what's that?" before I realized that what I had just laid my eyes on was my own ride... Yeah... Most satisfying.

Attached Thumbnails Aspects that you LIKE/LOVE about our XK8/R's?-dsc00009-copy.jpg  
Old 11-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
You're quite welcome! I have discovered that I love this car the best after parking it somewhere and leaving it for a while and then walk back to the car (especially if I'm walking towards the front). Never fails to put a smile on my face as I am looking at it

Doug
Yes. It is a whole different feeling. I love mine for the uniqueness, sliding into a wrapper of leather and wood, the sight of the hood and fender bulges through the windscreen, the low stance (I had to look up at a mini cooper at a light the other day) and the handling.... Top down pure joy, and I have yet to see another one in Denver.