XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 08:22 AM
Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Audio Speakers

Has anyone changed their car speakers and if so, which ones and what did you replace them with? I have an issue with one or more speaker/s not sure which one it is yet but on loud volume (needed when roof down and travelling at 70mph!!) there is a distortion. I tried to see if I could get replacement speakers (LJA4141AA) but it would appear they are no longer available from Jaguar or any independent suppliers. Second hand ones are available, but there is no guarantee how good they are or how long they will last. I noted too that it is indicated upgraded Harman Kardon (LJA4140BA) are not compatible with the standard Jaguar audio system.
So again, has anyone changed their speakers and if so to what?

Old 04-20-2021, 02:56 PM
Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Default 2008 XK8 with Base system

Originally Posted by DougXK8
Has anyone changed their car speakers and if so, which ones and what did you replace them with? I have an issue with one or more speaker/s not sure which one it is yet but on loud volume (needed when roof down and travelling at 70mph!!) there is a distortion. I tried to see if I could get replacement speakers (LJA4141AA) but it would appear they are no longer available from Jaguar or any independent suppliers. Second hand ones are available, but there is no guarantee how good they are or how long they will last. I noted too that it is indicated upgraded Harman Kardon (LJA4140BA) are not compatible with the standard Jaguar audio system.
The base system in my car was shot and I replaced all of the speakers except the two in the dash and added the two A-pillar window tweeters. I kept the CD player and the main "head" unit. My system has no amp. I replaced all my speakers with Rockford Fosgate speakers.. I used Rockford Fosgate as I am familiar with their products and the speakers are efficient enough to work with the stock system.I purchased my speakers online from Crutchfield who has a good selection of speakers and components. I did the install myself and it was not difficult.

Old 04-20-2021, 03:12 PM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

I replaced the OEM speakers in the door with a set of Kicker's - will see if I can find the info. Right now looking to replace the whole system as it is hit/miss when it wants to work - so most days I drive with just the growl of the V8

Old 04-20-2021, 05:43 PM
Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DougXK8
I'm still trying to figure this out too, but this is what I've come up with (I have a 2005 XK8 convertible with the Alpine/premium sound):
Dash are 2" or 2.5" mid range
Door sails are component tweeters (1" or so).
Door bottoms are the bass 6.5" components
Speakers in the rear seat are bass components like 6.5" I think.
If anyone has more specific (or correct!) information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Norm

Old 04-21-2021, 04:06 AM
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I recently carried out an audio upgrade on the standard sound system.
I left the dash speakers in place, I couldn't find anything that would be an upgrade so to speak and they sounded fine.

Front speakers were changed over to the Alpine SPG-17CS
These did not fit into the speaker mounting plate and did require some trimming, this took 10 minutes.

Tweeters are also held in with the retaining brackets provided. I did need to take of the cloth trim for this, but mine were shot anyway so not an issue.

The back speakers were replaced with Alpine SPG-17C2 - again, the rear brackets did not fit these and needed new holes drilling in the metal plate to accommodate.

If you plan to fit a sub in the stock location, I am told a JL Audio 8W1v3-4 will fit with no issues, but the alpine speakers for me produce plenty of bass.

I am planning on changing the head unit, but sound was great with the stock cassette deck.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,809 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Norm, I was surprised to find there is a midrange in the rear pod too.

Doug, FYI the sail tweeter and the dashboard squarkers are in parallel. A capacitor in series behind the sail creates a high pass crossover at 6khz.

FWIW I found replacing that sail with a midrange tweeter pod was a mind blowing improvement. I never got around to doing anything more than painting it the oatmeal color (had the matching paint from previous leather repair).

This too may save you time. A few of our esteemed colleagues like David Young and I think Gus posted about very positive experiences with replacement bass speakers for the rear. Unfortunately none of these models are available any longer [I just saved you a half hour searching ;-) ]

The following users liked this post:
Just Another Guy (04-21-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 04:04 AM

I have just gone up in my roof loft and by accident found I still had the door cards off my 1999 XJ8. I had forgotten I had them as I had put them in there about 3 years ago when I upgraded the door cards on the XJ8. Still in situ are the speakers - LJA4141AA! So I am going to check them out to see if there are still working OK and replace the ones in my XK8, all being well.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:16 AM

Just got round to swooping the speakers over, only to discovered they were LNC 4140 AA's and not LNA4140BA's. They are slightly bigger than the original XK8 speakers. Now can either purchase new pair of LNA4140BA's from Jaguar at £60 each or S/H ones which will cost around £40 for a pair. My only concern is that there is no guarantee that they will be better than the ones in my 2005 XK8 if I purchase S/H speakers. If I were to purchase different premium branded speakers, does anyone know whether the connections will be the same as in the Jaguar wiring loom or will I have to change the connection?