XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,020 Likes on 741 Posts

Ok here's where I'm @ as far as prepping to send to Sybesma, I note that they say send the fully assembled mirror in with no trim,pins etc. My question is I see no way to remove the plastic neck/trim on the mirror, is mine ready to ship, attached is pic of what I have.
Thanks.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent mine in a couple of weeks ago with the mirror, wire, and trim exactly as it came off of the glass. It was all returned and now works great. I think they fix YOUR mirror now. If that can't be fixed, and there is no other old mirror like yours laying around their shop that they can use to replace your mirror (likely now), they tell you yours can't be fixed and charge the $15 bench fee. If they had a spare, you might get someone else's mirror as a repaired replacement. I wouldn't worry, as it looks like you have even removed some of the plastic trim from the mirror after it was removed from the windshield.

The following users liked this post:
King Charles (09-19-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by digi
I sent mine in a couple of weeks ago with the mirror, wire, and trim exactly as it came off of the glass. It was all returned and now works great. I think they fix YOUR mirror now. If that can't be fixed, and there is no other old mirror like yours laying around their shop that they can use to replace your mirror (likely now), they tell you yours can't be fixed and charge the $15 bench fee. If they had a spare, you might get someone else's mirror as a repaired replacement. I wouldn't worry, as it looks like you have even removed some of the plastic trim from the mirror after it was removed from the windshield.
It's my understanding that they've always fixed the mirror by replacing the problematic liquid with a stable gel. I was concerned about not seeing a way to remove the neck with the ball joint connector to the actual mirror still being on. But since you say you sent yours in with that, I will mail asap.

Thanks

Old 09-19-2015, 02:43 PM
Received 8,075 Likes on 4,870 Posts

You need to REMOVE the rain sensor before you ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob gauff

King Charles (09-19-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by motorcarman
You need to REMOVE the rain sensor before you ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob gauff
Just in time ! As I was taping it up to ship now, godspeed sir !

Old 09-29-2015, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Mirror arrived @ Sybesma's Wed. the 23rd & was delivered back to me via Fed-Ex today the 29th. Looks brand new, highly recommended.

Last edited by King Charles; 09-30-2015 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Old 11-09-2015, 04:45 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Anyone have a suggestion as to why the OP's pictures won't open for me...later pics in the thread do so just fine.

I'm sure at some point in the not too distant past I was able to view them, but not now.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 215 Posts

I discontinued my $13/mo webhosting service that contained pics that link to the article. There are enough pics in subsequent posts to get you through a DIY. Sorry for the inconvenience, but I didn't see another way out. GordoCatCar

Old 11-09-2015, 09:05 PM

Okie dokie, I understand. Thanks for explaining.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Pictures from the First Post... could not edit and insert.

Here are the pics for the original post. The post is so old, the edit function is unavailable, e.g., no edit button. Maybe someone with access to forum programming could insert them into original post. It would certainly help someone viewing this thread for the first time. gordocatcar

Attached Thumbnails Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement-mirror.1.jpg   Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement-mirror.2.jpg   Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement-mirror.3.jpg   Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement-mirror.4.jpg   Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement-mirror.5.jpg  

Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement-mirror.6.jpg   Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement-mirror.7.jpg   Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement-mirror.8.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by GordoCatCar:
bleeth (11-11-2015), jimmiejag (11-27-2015), Norri (11-12-2015), toaster (07-09-2016)
Old 11-11-2015, 01:47 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

In a world without coincidences I wouldn't be able to say THANKS GORDO for reposting the pics as well as the original post. I finally got around to this after a series of other issues (my wife is calling my car my boat lately) and came here first to review info.
I got lucky in that mine slid off quite easily.

A couple of observations:
1. After dropping the console I unplugged it and set it aside to get it out of the way. Made the rest easier.
2. I have the sensors and the sensor disc came off the windshield as I had not unplugged it, but I unplugged it and stuck it back on right away and the tacky adhesive they used grabbed immediately.

Packed and ready to go. I did take a couple pics and sent to Stacy. She noted the bottom of the mirror case has some melting damage from the leak. I asked if that would be an issue on their end. Here is her reply:

We do have to grind it a bit, but we typically have successfulrepairs in mirrors that have had this occur J

I've attached the photo here so you can see what I mean. Click on it and it's easy to see.
I'll report results later.

Attached Thumbnails Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement-2015-11-11-13.07.58.jpg  
Old 11-11-2015, 02:19 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Originally Posted by GordoCatCar
Here are the pics for the original post. The post is so old, the edit function is unavailable, e.g., no edit button. Maybe someone with access to forum programming could insert them into original post. It would certainly help someone viewing this thread for the first time. gordocatcar
All done, take a look and make sure it's good.

GordoCatCar (11-12-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 10:10 PM

Thanks very much for the repost of the original pictures... to both Gordo and Norri.

Last edited by Burnham; 11-11-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:32 PM
Default It's Back!

Mirror came back yesterday and went back in in a couple of minutes.
Looks great and operates perfectly.

FedEx even delivered it a day ahead of schedule, so just in time for this weekend I'm good to go.
Hat's off to Sybesma and the great write-ups on this forum!

Attached Thumbnails Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement-mshippo37915.jpg  

Last edited by bleeth; 11-25-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by K.Westra
Ok, so I've been extremely slow on this, but I finally pulled my mirror and got the information to send for a replacement mirror.

One note, if your car is equipped with the rain sensing wiper option, I recommend removing the bottom plastic cover so that when the mirror is removed, the second plug can be easily removed.

Here is what the mount and plugs look like on my 2000 XK8 equipped with automatic headlights and rain sensing wipers.

This is the mount and the sensor for the rain sensing wipers:

This is the connector on the roof that the mirror plugs into:

Here is the back attachment on my mirror (which is the same mount as Gordo's) which also shows the additional plug for the rain sensor:

Might it be possible to make this post's pictures available again, as Gordo's were recently?

Thanks.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all the posters and their contribution to us backyard mechanics, this thread on mirror replacement has been great to read. Now, enough of the reading for me and onto the doing, I will be having a go at removing the mirror tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes and contribute my two cents.

Thanks again.
Graham

Old 03-22-2016, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts
Default details for a MY 03 mirror

Just thought I'd add photo's for an 03 car mirror mount as it is different than the earlier ones, however the same instructions still apply!

A little lube and downward push with a slight wiggle and it came off.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jandreu:
dr.fixit (03-28-2016), GordoCatCar (03-23-2016), jimborino (07-27-2017)
Old 03-28-2016, 06:19 PM
Default What a difference!

I finally yanked my mirror and sent it off to be refurbished. It made a huge difference. The auto dim works well, and fairly quickly.

Before

After

Random notes:
  • The whole job went pretty smoothly, and none of the windshield nightmares occurred. This thread and accumulated forum experience definitely helped my comfort level.
  • You have to pull the overhead console pretty firmly to get it down. I'm not going to lie: I was nervous since I have broken plastic mounting points on other cars before.
  • When re-installing, you may want to go ahead and tighten the screw on the clip. My mirror had a jiggle because it was loose, so I had to pull it off again.
  • Sybesma prices went up since August, 2015. I opted for 2nd day delivery and paid $125.
  • They received the mirror on a Monday, shipped it out on Wednesday and I got it back on Friday. You can trade more money for more speed going and coming.
  • I got used to driving with no rear view mirror more easily than I expected. Having the top down is a big help.
  • Other people who drive your car may freak out when they realize there is no rear view mirror.
  • Apparently I was used to the "New Mexico landscape" look before the repair. I'm still a little startled when I look at the rear view mirror and I can see a clear reflection.
Regards,
Tom

Old 03-29-2016, 02:21 PM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

My mirror went out as well. I purchased a used one on Ebay for $55 that came out of a 2007 Acura TL. It has the same item # 11530 as mine does.
Only issue is that the yellow connector from the old mirror has 6 wires, Brown,Green,Yellow,Black,Gray, White and the Acura mirror only has 3, black, white and gray. Does anyone know if I just go black to black, white to white and gray to gray?

Quick Reply: Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement