XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Green Machine
How do you hook up with this company to get your mirror repaired? I've looked at their website and can't find out any info for sending to mirror to them.

I sent a Technical request and heard back from Stacy the next day.

Sybesmas Electronics, Technical Request Form

The following users liked this post:
Green Machine (08-26-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This is the same place that did my old M5 mirror and i had great results... I'm happy to know i can send the jag one in to them

Old 08-26-2012, 02:32 PM
CMS
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Green Machine
How do you hook up with this company to get your mirror repaired? I've looked at their website and can't find out any info for sending to mirror to them.
BobN,
Google Sybesma's Electronics, then go into contact, you find the address and toll free number. When you call they will ask you if your mirror has the push button or slide button on the bottom. Apparently they only repair the push button version. You can print out the technical request form on line and fill it out, with name, address and phone numbers they can reach you at for credit card info once they recieve the mirror. They are very prompt. We sent our mirror out on Thurs. morning by USPS and I recieved a call from Sybesma's before noon the next day and received the mirror the day after that, before noon. Have not reinstalled mirror yet to check if auto headlight feature intact. Slight imperfections noted on plastic casing where it was pried apart, but not a big issue as it's not something you would notice unless you were looking for it.

Last edited by CMS; 08-30-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Update
Green Machine (08-26-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Thanks LuvMyKitty & CMS this gives me another project to tackle.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:42 PM
CMS
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by CMS
BobN,
Google Sybesma's Electronics, then go into contact, you find the address and toll free number. When you call they will ask you if your mirror has the push button or slide button on the bottom. Apparently they only repair the push button version. You can print out the technical request form on line and fill it out, with name, address and phone numbers they can reach you at for credit card info once they recieve the mirror. They are very prompt. We sent our mirror out on Thurs. morning by USPS and I recieved a call from Sybesma's before noon the next day and received the mirror the day after that, before noon. Have not reinstalled mirror yet to check if auto headlight feature intact. Slight imperfections noted on plastic casing where it was pried apart, but not a big issue as it's not something you would notice unless you were looking for it.
Update: I have reinstalled mirror without incidence and low and behold the auto dimming works like a charm and the auto headlight feature is intact & working! Thanks again to the most informative pictures!

Old 09-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Since this started a while ago, this post is for newer people doing this. First read GordoCatCar's post, then print it and read it.

Look at your own car, and start following his instructions. Stop because you are confused/concerned and if not you are going too fast.

Did you remove the back plastic when you didn't have to? Even if you need to reuse it on a mirror you picked up that didn't have it, don't take it off right now.

Did you lubricate it by spraying some type of penetrating oil in as recommended? I didn't - added 20 minutes to my concern and not getting the job done. I lubed it, went back on line to look at the pictures for a while, went back out and pulled the mirror right off (having wasted 20 minutes of light tapping, worrying, looking etc.).

Minor additions, be care when pulling the console cover off. It may not be obvious but the 3 points it is pushed in are not at the edges but rather in about an inch. I cracked one fastening point thinking I was clear because I had the edge so far out. He said pull straight down and he meant straight down. Prying the front one means the "pointed" end facing you in the car, the other two are toward the windshield end.

If you need to reuse that black plastic piece on the back of the mirror, first loosen the screw holding that metal piece. The torx screw is under his yellow paper marker in the picture. Once that is loosened, the plastic will slide right out. Loosen the same part on the new mirror and put the plastic in place and then you'll find the tab on the end of that metal piece serves the purpose of holding that plastic in place, or if not loosened serves the purpose of breaking the tab off the plastic.

After I was all done, I still don't know how that darn thing stays in place so well or came off so easy.

So take your time, read, look, reread so you don't crack the windshield.

Thanks again GordoCatCar, you made my day.

Norri (09-03-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 215 Posts

Thank you GoingJag for the good advice... and the compliment. After this DIY was first posted, the text was revised and upgraded a couple of times. So it now contains the anecdotal experiences of a number of owners who had problems, or ideas, that were not covered by the text of the original post. Consequently, the 'instructions to users" are pretty comprehensive at this point, and are worth a second look before undertaking the job.

Norri (09-03-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default rear view mirror removal XK8

My last reply seems to have evaporated so here we go again....
Just removed the rear view mirror with no trouble at all AFTER i FIGURED OUT THAT THE SMALL WIRE BUNDLE UNDERNEATH/BEHIND THE CLIP RESTRICTS THE TRAVEL OF THE CLIP.
Easy fix is to just spread the three wires flat to increase the clip travel and geently slide gooseneck down. A wee bit of WD40 helps.
No hammering/banging/driving is required!!!
WW

Old 09-09-2012, 09:39 PM

Great Post -- I am doing my Mirror next weekend

Old 09-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Default Jaguar XK8 Convertible 1997

What Is the part number for Jaguar XK8 Convertible 1997 rearview Mirror

Old 09-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Great info from all you guys. I have an intermittent problem with my rain sensor and auto head lights. Thought it might be a bad connection in the plug in the dome assembly. I have not checked it yet, but it should be easy enough now that I have this info.

Bill N
03 XKR

Old 10-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror

I sent my bad mirror to Sybesma's Electronics a couple of weeks ago and received it back within a week. Not only did they fix the mirror itself, they also replaced the wires going into the back of the mirror as someone had cut them very close to their entry point rather than detaching the mirror from the connector. I tried and failed miserably to saulder them back together. Sybesma provided fantastic service - above and beyond - well worth the $95.00!!

Old 10-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Cool!

My Sybema-repaired mirror is still working flawlessly. A great fix!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ezeddie
Jaguar dealer was in no way interested in removing, had to many broken windshields. Referred me to their "expert" installer. He came several weeks ago a was unable to remove. Returned a second time with same results. He was to make a insert to solve problem, haven't heard in a month. Jaguar US contacted dealer who indicated they would remove with warning they could break windshield. Stopped entire program and will work with mirror "as is". If anyone has another idea,I' sure like to hear of it.
Hae given up on dealers in Sarasota FL Area, they just don't want to touvh the mirror. Is anyone familar with a dealer/glasshop on the west coast of FL that might look a the job.

Thanks.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Smile Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement

Stacy is your contact via orders@sybesmas.com. Their mailing address is:
Warmest Regards,
Sybesma's Electronics
581 Ottawa Ave
Ste 100
Holland, MI 49423
USA
800-456-4265

Just mail your mirror to her at the above address along with $95 or a number where you can be reached for your payment info and she'll call you back. You should consider adding insurance to the package, just in case it gets lost in the mail.

Please see an email from Stacy below with further info:

Thank you for the inquiry. Unfortunately, we do not have the plastics in house to build you a mirror as a pre-exchange. However, if you would like to send your mirror into us, as a repair and return, we will gladly exchange out the defective glass cell. The cost for repair is $95 (including shipping/handling) which will be retained up front prior to the repair. Customers in Canada will be charged $120(USD) and all other international repairs $175(USD).
**For international customers please note that your country may have additional surcharge fees upon the return of your product. These charges are not included in the price above and will not be paid by Sybesma’s Electronics

Please be advised that in order to do this we must open the plastics in your mirror. In the rare instance your plastics break beyond repair, Sybesma's will make every effort to find a comparable replacement but no guarantees are made.

Also, be advised that we are unable to test the operations in the home link feature, auto head lamps and rain sensor, so your mirror may or may not have this as an operable function upon completion of the repair. If unit does break, $15 will be retained as a bench fee and the remaining refunded. (If you would like your mirror shipped back, an additional shipping/handling for charges will apply)

Please send your mirror along with your name/address/phone/credit card number stating you would like the mirror repaired and returned. If you prefer not to include your card number we will contact you for it once the unit is received in house.

PLEASE NOTE – We no longer carry glass cells that support the slider button auto dim feature, cells for the Lincoln Continental mirrors or for the Mitsubishi Spyder as they are unavailable to us.

***We request you DO NOT send in any additional plastics with your mirror (i.e. trim pieces, pins etc.) Your fully assembled mirror the only item needed. Sybesma’s Electronics will not be liable for any lost pieces***

Happy motoring!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Default Upgraded RV Mirror

I did not have to use wood and hammer - mirror came off with a little left and right jiggle then DOWNward pull
Stacy did mine for $97
New mirror looks and works great -- Thanks Forum Members

Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 AM

Actually, my mirror has gotten loose and sometimes falls down and is just held by the wire until I can stop, realign it and push it up. I'm afraid to try to tighten the clamps for fear of breaking them.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Default Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement

sgparnes,

Be really careful trying to bend the mirror clip to tighten it on the windshield. I broke one side off my new mirror and now have to try and figure out where to get another one.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Default Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement

Help!

I now have my mirror fixed and back from Sybesma, how do I attach it back onto the windshield? Although I can get the clips onto the windshield piece, its very loose and the mirror just falls back into my hands. It doesn't seem like the torx screw that holds the clip in the mirror stalk is going into the detent onto the windshield. Pulling the sides of the clip closer together doesn't fix it, it's just as loose. What am I missing?

I don't have the piece of plastic that covers the wires in the mirror stalk - does that have any effect?

BTW - my mirror and windshield clips look exactly like the ones in GordoCat's photos on the first entry of this thread.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 215 Posts

@HollyH >> With the base of the mirror pedestal firmly placed against the inside of the glass above the windshield mount, one simply slides the pedestal down onto the mount. You can see both parts and how they slide together in like a tongue and groove arrangement.

The stamped edges of the clips and pedestal are designed to guide the two pieces over the detent where it snaps into place. You should be able to start the two pieces on this 'rail' and it will hold itself onto the inside of the windshield. If you do not feel the clips firmly guiding the pedestal, even before the detent stop, then something is wrong.

Was your mirror mounted firmly on the windshield before you began this project? I see in an earlier post wherein you indicate you were adjusting a clip or some other part of the mirror and it broke? Do you think this has something to do with the problem?

Quick Reply: Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement