XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement

GordoCatCar,

Thanks for the fast reply!

It was FIRMLY attached to the windshield when I took it off initially, it was quite hard to get off. I broke one of the guides off the clip I got back from Sybesma so I'm now trying my new $50 clip (yikes!). I can get the clips to go onto the detent but there is nothing that stops it from falling backwards (toward the dash) and its loose.

To put it on, I'm pushing up toward the roof.

Thoughts?

Old 10-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Default Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement

Oops, blonde moment (sorry my fellow blondes). I re-read your post and realized I should have been putting it on top down rather than bottom up. I now have it attached properly. Thanks GordoCatCar!!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Default Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror

One last question.

I have no power to the mirror. Does anyone know what fuse it is?

thanks!

Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Default Auto Headlight Feature on Rearview Mirror

Before I was aware that the rearview mirror could be rebuilt, I ordered and installed an aftermarket non-Jaguar dichromic mirror because a new OEM mirror was over $300. It works fine, but the autoheadlight function no longer worked because the new mirror did not have the needed light sensor.

I read in this thread that a relay could be used to do the same thing as the sensor did. When the ignition is on the relay closes to ground the circuit and the lights come on. I purchased a mini relay and installed it in the space above the overhead consol. It works perfectly. I have a 1999 XK8. The green wire is the one that needs to be grounded when the ignition switch is on and the headlight switch is on Auto to cause the headlights to be on when the ignition switch is on.

Before I made this change, I did try to contact the company that did rebuilds and received no response. Since many of the posts are older, this service may not be available. However, if you can get your old mirror rebuilt for $90 that is the way to go. Keep it original if possible

The following users liked this post:
MRomanik (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 192 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by tgariety
Before I was aware that the rearview mirror could be rebuilt, I ordered and installed an aftermarket non-Jaguar dichromic mirror because a new OEM mirror was over $300. It works fine, but the autoheadlight function no longer worked because the new mirror did not have the needed light sensor.

I read in this thread that a relay could be used to do the same thing as the sensor did. When the ignition is on the relay closes to ground the circuit and the lights come on. I purchased a mini relay and installed it in the space above the overhead consol. It works perfectly. I have a 1999 XK8. The green wire is the one that needs to be grounded when the ignition switch is on and the headlight switch is on Auto to cause the headlights to be on when the ignition switch is on.

Before I made this change, I did try to contact the company that did rebuilds and received no response. Since many of the posts are older, this service may not be available. However, if you can get your old mirror rebuilt for $90 that is the way to go. Keep it original if possible
What kind of mirror did you get? I don't have auto headlight function on my '97 XK8.
Thanks

Old 10-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Question? I have found a replacement mirror at a salvage yard but have not seen it. Owner told me she had one for $125.

Is there any way to know if this mirror is the upgrade from Sybesma's Electronics?
Do they stamp/mark them?

Old 10-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Morpheus311
Question? I have found a replacement mirror at a salvage yard but have not seen it. Owner told me she had one for $125.

Is there any way to know if this mirror is the upgrade from Sybesma's Electronics?
Do they stamp/mark them?
No, there is no visual distinction between a refurbished mirror and an original one.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:50 AM

Thanks Keith! I'm not going to get it then.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:05 PM

I sent in my mirror and they called today for the $97 payment. The guys that installed the windshield that I shattered said that they would install it without me asking them.

I've done nothing but fork out $$ on this machine the last 2 mths. I'm ready for a break!

I thought that at my age, I'd worn out naivete.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Just bought Gentex autodimming mirror from JCWhitney # 50-GENK2AM. $99.00/free shipping 12 months warranty. Beats paying $400 plus for a used Jaguar mirror of uknown quality.
Sybesma does not quarantee repair.
I am taking it to the garage to get it installed ( another $90)
Anyone interested in purchasing my Jag? First $7000 USD takes it. Plastic shifter cover needs replaced because fluid from mirror ate it up.
54,000 miles (original) all repair records: new blower motor, new fuel pump, rotors, 80K miles tires. New headliner installed by upholstery shop. Everything works!

Last edited by burza; 11-28-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added item
Old 02-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good results from Sybesmas reconditioned mirror; caution on replacement

Thanks very much for the detailed info. I had the stained electroluminescent (EL) rear-view mirror on my 1999 XJ8 refurbished by Sybesmas, for just over $100 including shipping. Their phone no., as listed above, is 616-392-6911.

After Sybesmas returned my remanufactured mirror, I had it reinstalled by my Jaguar mechanic in Nashville, CMI, for a very reasonable $40, to make sure I didn't break something.

Results: like new, I think. The mirror darkening at night works fine, as long as you keep the EL power ON and give it a few seconds to react to the first encounter with headlights from another car.

Caution: When removing the mirror, take care not to break the two tiny plastic tabs that hold the little black trim cover on the mount. I broke one, and it's holding, just barely.

Also, the mount has a tiny bit of play/wobble when adjusting the angle, which probably could be easily fixed by tightening a mounting nut. But it doesn't vibrate, and there's no need to adjust the angle normally.

NashvilleXJ8
1999 XJ8 4.0

Last edited by NashvilleXJ8; 02-09-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: add signature with vehicle
Old 02-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

A loose mirror is a common problem this link to my page should help.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 05-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

I wondered why my mirror looked that way, and why my shifter knob looked like wax dripped on it. I will be one of the many taking your cue. .

Old 06-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was a great thread, im waiting for my mirror to come back from repair from Sybesma's. They were really helpful and made the whole thing easy. The instruction on this thread were awesome as well. I had no problems at all with taking the mirror off. Looking forward to getting the new one up and running

Thanks for all the info

Old 06-09-2013, 12:24 AM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

Wade,

You will find this forum the single best source of information on our cars. The mirror fix you are doing was the first repair I took on after getting my XK8. Good luck.

Dave

Old 06-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My XK8 mirror was loose - came off the mount - and in trying to fix it I've gone and cracked the windshield pretty nicely.

Yesterday my local Jag shop referred me to an auto glass shop that quoted me $150 for a replacement front windshield, installed. I'll be getting this done in a few days. I called the Jag shop back to make sure that they stood by the quality of the product and they said yes, this is where they get any glass that they install. I'll report back in a few days.

My rear view mirror isn't leaking but is showing signs of age - I guess I'll also send it in before too long. Thanks very much for this thread!

PKB

Old 06-22-2013, 06:03 AM
Received 4,302 Likes on 3,719 Posts

Layla801 - can the windshield be replaced under your comprehensive insurance? In SC - windshield/window and sunroof replacement is free under comp insurance - regardless of cause. you may want to check your policy

Old 06-24-2013, 08:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thanks

A great summary. Thanks!

Old 08-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks to all the great contributors to this thread.

I was first introduced to the Donnelly mirror problem with my '95 XJ6. Resolved that by replacing it with a Gentex mirror that also had compass and temperature features in a little window in the mirror.

We got a 2000 XK8 a couple months ago, and I immediately recognized the failed dimming mirror. Fortunately no evidence of fluid leakage on the interior. I am glad I procrastinated on repair/replacement until I found this thread. I'll let you know how things go.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:56 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Purchased a 98 XK8 a couple days ago. Only 15,500 miles on it and looks like new....except for the rearview mirror.....Glad to have this forum!!! Sending mirror in next week. Cheers

Quick Reply: Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement