XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mirror attachment

Folks - I'd like to point out two or three things about the rearview mirror replacement/refurb.

1) The attachment to the windscreen is simple, but people describe it wrong. Please refer to the two pictures. There's a spring (blue circles) that catches the mount on the windscreen. Then there are two detents and bumps on the windscreen and the mirror that are at the end of travel. That little piece of tape on the screw doesn't do anything. It's not that center button that keeps the mirror in place. It's the detents and force of the spring. ONLY force the mirror down along the slope of the windscreen to get past the detents (1 mm) then past the spring (10 mm). Don't twist, bend, torque, rotate, wiggle along any axis. Simply slide it "down or up."

2) Earlier in the thread is a pointer to steps to bend the spring a bit to make the fit tighter.

3) Sybesma does a good job, under $100 at time of writing.

Pictures use color for context (red and blue) - sorry if you cannot see the colors for some reason.

Attached Thumbnails Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement-mirror-1.png   Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement-mirror-2.png  
The following users liked this post:
MFoncerrada8 (09-28-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 06:21 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Sent it in for repair.

Turned out much easier than I expected. Possibly already mentioned, but here are my hints...

1. The light center console comes out exactly as described by Gordo....pull straight down. DON'T OVER THINK IT....I kept trying to squeeze by the clips....they are sping loaded, just pull straight down.

2. The Torx to remove the metal clip is a T30

3. The electrical connector. There is a Gray and a yellow end. Stick your finger behind the gray one (between it and the windshield) and push the little tab. Slides off easily.

4 Mirror slid off with zero effort (just lucky?)...as I was touching it to get the feel for where to put WD-40 it just slid on it's own....=)

The following 2 users liked this post by MFoncerrada8:
GordoCatCar (10-02-2013), Gus (09-30-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 09:52 AM

A little snag - 2 to 4 week wait at Sybesmas. Received this email:

"We have received your rear view mirror for repair. Unfortunately we have
recently run out of the glass needed to repair your model mirror. These parts are on order and are expected to be received within the next 2-4 weeks. I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you. If you would like to continue with the repair upon arrival of the glass please contact us at your earliest convenience to provide payment information. If you should have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me. "

Old 10-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

That sucks cracking the windshield. Id just like a regular mirror, I can change my own wiper blade speed and dim the mirror. Don't need a computer doing nothing for me lol.Wonder if a universal rear view mirror would work and just isolate the wiring and tuck it up in headline?

Old 10-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacement windshield

Originally Posted by aode06
That sucks cracking the windshield. Id just like a regular mirror, I can change my own wiper blade speed and dim the mirror. Don't need a computer doing nothing for me lol.Wonder if a universal rear view mirror would work and just isolate the wiring and tuck it up in headline?
Safelite replaced my 97 XK8 windshield for Under $250 , then I put my refurbished mirror on

Old 10-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MFoncerrada8
A little snag - 2 to 4 week wait at Sybesmas. Received this email:

"We have received your rear view mirror for repair. Unfortunately we have
recently run out of the glass needed to repair your model mirror. These parts are on order and are expected to be received within the next 2-4 weeks. I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you. If you would like to continue with the repair upon arrival of the glass please contact us at your earliest convenience to provide payment information. If you should have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me. "
Yeah! I learned that info a couple days ago when I called Sybesma's. I decided to send the mirror anyhow, because the waiting time includes while I'll be on vacation, and won't be using the car anyhow. Attempts to find an alternative repair facility only turned up "Radar-Mirror". But they seem to be more interested in making mirrors concealing various other electronic devices, such as radar detectors and GPS. Either way it looked like an extended wait for the repaired mirror.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aode06

That all I did. For $14.00 I fixed my problem

Old 10-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Received 122 Likes on 52 Posts

Would this same repair cover the side mirrors on my 2004 XJR?

Old 10-08-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Muddybear
What is the matter with your side mirrors?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddybear
No. The Mirror Replacement is limited to rearview mirrors. The issue is the photo-chromatic fluid in the mirror. The side mirror has none.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirror clip

Does anyone know if you can have the mirror clip made or if can be bought for an XK8 1998. Mine snapped.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mirror spring or clip broken. Can it be bought or aftermarket somewhere?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

I have a spare mirror that has been repaired by Sybesmas that is of no use to me. It's from an XK, and i have an XJ, and the plugs and things are are slightly different, possibly due to a difference in years or specs or something.

I was thinking you guys might be able to get some use out of it, maybe by using it like an exchange unit while there's a wait for new glass?

Only problem is I'm in New Zealand, but would be happy to send it over if anyone thinks they might want it

Old 10-09-2013, 11:14 PM
Received 122 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by GordoCatCar
No. The Mirror Replacement is limited to rearview mirrors. The issue is the photo-chromatic fluid in the mirror. The side mirror has none.
I have a 04 XJR but the drivers side mirror seems to be photo-chromatic. It has a gold tint to it. Its a OK during the day, but at night I see double vision in it. Every car has 4 headlights instead of 2.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by MFoncerrada8
Sent it in for repair.

Turned out much easier than I expected. Possibly already mentioned, but here are my hints...

1. The light center console comes out exactly as described by Gordo....pull straight down. DON'T OVER THINK IT....I kept trying to squeeze by the clips....they are sping loaded, just pull straight down.

2. The Torx to remove the metal clip is a T30

3. The electrical connector. There is a Gray and a yellow end. Stick your finger behind the gray one (between it and the windshield) and push the little tab. Slides off easily.

4 Mirror slid off with zero effort (just lucky?)...as I was touching it to get the feel for where to put WD-40 it just slid on it's own....=)
And 3 weeks later my mirror is back....very happy!!!

Old 10-24-2013, 06:30 AM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Received my mirror back from Sybesmas, and it looks beautiful. It's went back on the windshield very easily and tight. I haven't tested it at night as yet. Even with the delay, it took 2 weeks, which isn't as bad as I was expecting.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am considering doing this repair however I have a couple concerns. I know when my lights are in the auto position they go out when I use my left turn signal but not my right. I assume this is an issue with the mirror as it has a sensor for this. I know they say they have no way of testing the auto dim of the lights or rain sensing for the wipers so I was wondering if I might be better off looking for a good used one to have them repair that I know has working features.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 12-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sklimii
Layla801 - can the windshield be replaced under your comprehensive insurance? In SC - windshield/window and sunroof replacement is free under comp insurance - regardless of cause. you may want to check your policy

I avoided an insurance claim and was able to get my windshield replaced for $190 using the same glass shop that the local Jag shop uses. However, the glass shop did not have a fix for my broken mirror mount. The mount is on the new windshield but there's a black plastic clip that holds the mirror onto the mount that is missing / broken. Currently it is just hanging there (looks like crap) but I'm not driving it at the moment.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I was told that an Acura mirror clip is a direct replacement.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 03-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

I had my mirror repaired by Sybesma over 12 months ago and it worked perfectly until the plastic swivel mount(on the back of the mirror) broke. Faced with either paying $320 plus at a Jaguar dealer or $150 at a breaker for a second hand unit(and then I would have had to get Sybesma work it) I did some digging and found that the same Donnelly mirror was fitted to the Acura TL. Bought one from a Honda dealer $80 brand new in the box. Observations:

The mirror plastic has been modified - much more substantial swivel
The mount is the same as the Jaguar one except that you have to break off two small posts on the Acura mirror(easy to do - pair of pliers does the job) - the mirror then mounts straight on to the Jaguar windshield button - good snug fit
You will have to cut the plug off the old mirror and splice it on to the new one - colour codes are the same.
If you have the headlamps on at dusk option they won't work with the Acura mirror - I thought this was worth losing this feature given the saving.
Mirror part number is 76400-SEP-A02za .
The new mirror looks and functions perfectly.

The following 5 users liked this post by batroute:
Dalemeyer (03-29-2014), enderle (08-30-2014), Gus (03-16-2014), MRomanik (03-17-2014), toaster (07-27-2016)

Quick Reply: Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement