XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Automatic lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Automatic lights

I keep the headlight switch in automatic mode. The lights often stay on for an extended time after I leave the garage in daylight hours. I assume the solar sensor on the dash is not working properly. Is replacing the sensor an easy fix, or could it be another gremlin causing the problem.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

The light sensor for the auto lights is in the back of the rear view mirror - you may want to check it's not obstructed in any way.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Someone will correct me if I am mistaken, but I always thought the sensor on the dash is for the A/C and the sensor for the auto headlights is on the back of the rear view mirror. My auto headlights shut off as soon as I turn off the ignition.

Stu

The following users liked this post:
walkman1 (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 04:10 PM

Okay, I looked up the solar sensor and it has nothing to do with automatic lights on a Jaguar. My incorrect assumption was based upon a neighbors vehicle. So, what does control the automatic light function?

Old 08-09-2017, 04:13 PM

Stu, my lights turn off when I shut off the engine, but they often stay on during daytime driving. The problem may have something to do with the mirror repair that was required a while ago to fix the auto-dimming fluid leak issue.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by walkman1
Stu, my lights turn off when I shut off the engine, but they often stay on during daytime driving. The problem may have something to do with the mirror repair that was required a while ago to fix the auto-dimming fluid leak issue.
You're probably right. I'd be looking at the forum classifieds for someone breaking apart an XK8/XKR and get a replacement mirror.

Stu

Old 08-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi Stu
If you feel the far side of the mirror you'll feel an indentation. The sensor is in there and when you cover it with your finger ignition on and switch in auto, the lights should come on. Mine has the opposite problem to yours and don't come on at all in auto mode. Removing the overhead light console reveals the wiring to the mirror and connecting an earth to one of them ( can't remember the colour but it's in the wiring diagram ) should switch the lights on. After considering the price of a new one and the risk of breaking the windscreen removing the old one I decided to rough it and switch the lights on and off manually.
It's a hard life.
Pete

Late extra: the wire is the yellow/blue one so I guess that if you disconnect that one with lgn on and switch in auto the lights should go out . this would prove that the fault is in the mirror /sensor.
Good luck

Last edited by PDMiller; 08-10-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Stu,

Think you said the lights are on with ignition off. If so, it can't have anything to do with the sensor in the mirror. It uses on ignition voltage to turn on lights.

Please verify that you have lights on with key out ignition off. I'm trying to think of what in the light switch has battery, maybe the circuit to turn on high beams when you pull back the turn signal lever, before I start suggesting what may be turning on the lights. I'll wait until you verify the question before I dive into trouble shooting it mate.

Bottom line there are no battery wires in the mirror, it's all ingition powered as far as I can recall. Therefore when your key is out, there should be no voltage in any wires at the mirror at all. Nothing in the mirror could turn the lights on KOIO. That's why I ask the question.

If you say Yes then: Do lights go off KOIO (key out ignition off) if you move the selector out of automatic lights?

Does flicking / jiggling the turn signal lever do anything?

You didn't say how many seconds it stays on for. mine goes off instantly, but I wonder - what if the door in the ingition key cylinder sticks open. Could the car think there is a key in ? Might the auto lights stay on until key is "out"? I really doubt it but would have to check.

Ah, look at me trouble shooting before you get a chance to respond. Let us know mate.

John

Old 08-10-2017, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Stu,

Think you said the lights are on with ignition off. If so, it can't have anything to do with the sensor in the mirror. It uses on ignition voltage to turn on lights.

Please verify that you have lights on with key out ignition off. I'm trying to think of what in the light switch has battery, maybe the circuit to turn on high beams when you pull back the turn signal lever, before I start suggesting what may be turning on the lights. I'll wait until you verify the question before I dive into trouble shooting it mate.

Bottom line there are no battery wires in the mirror, it's all ingition powered as far as I can recall. Therefore when your key is out, there should be no voltage in any wires at the mirror at all. Nothing in the mirror could turn the lights on KOIO. That's why I ask the question.

If you say Yes then: Do lights go off KOIO (key out ignition off) if you move the selector out of automatic lights?

Does flicking / jiggling the turn signal lever do anything?

You didn't say how many seconds it stays on for. mine goes off instantly, but I wonder - what if the door in the ingition key cylinder sticks open. Could the car think there is a key in ? Might the auto lights stay on until key is "out"? I really doubt it but would have to check.

Ah, look at me trouble shooting before you get a chance to respond. Let us know mate.

John

Hi John,

Sorry, you misread my post. What I said was, "My auto headlights shut off as soon as I turn off the ignition".

Pete,

I wanted DRL's for safety, so I took a piece of black electrical tape and covered the mirror sensor so that my headlights come on every time I start the car.

Stu

Last edited by StuG; 08-10-2017 at 03:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Oslojag (08-16-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Stu, Oh, when you mentioned leaving the garage, I assumed it was on foot! thanks for the quick clarification.

John

Old 08-16-2017, 07:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip With the tape to cover!
I have imported a US car without DRL in dayligt, and In Norway it's mandatory With DRL all day.