XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

AutoZone Scanner Experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default AutoZone Scanner Experience - Update!!

Mods are right about the autozone scanner limitations. They used a OBDII scanner and it would not read my codes. I understand you have to have the OBDII model that has Jaguar inclued in its function.

They scanned my 2001 XK8 which is showing the fault for ABS, ASC and Traction Control and all of a sudden on comes the check engine light, transmission warning, restricted engine performance lights but no codes showed up at all.

After shutting down the car several times the check engine light, restricted engine performance and transmission message went out and I was back to my original problem.

Then I had a friend who owns a mechanical shop check for codes with his system and all he could read was the ECM for the engine and it could not read the ABS or Tranny Computers. So I have an appointment with a place called the Jag shop, friends recommendation, to check it out today. For $84. This guy is a Jag expert and works on these issues all the time I am told and will give me the straight scoop. Then can make a determination as to whether I will fix the problem, once known, or have the Jag shop do it.

The local Jaguar dealer charges $129-240 to read the codes and give you a diagnosis.

I still wonder if worn brake pads can set these messages off since it can affect the ASC and traction control performance, but know that the sensors are reading wheel speed and not the brake pad performance.

Interesting problem, but a bit frustrating so far!

Last edited by JagXK82001; 03-30-2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Update
Old 03-29-2011, 09:40 AM

Just want to add, that I understand you need the codes to determine if the problem is a wheel sensor, wheel wiring harness or ABS Motor Controller problem before attempting to do a fix. Also the codes will identify which wheel is at fault if the problem is a sensor or wiring issue.

Don't want to dig into that ABS controller box until I know its the definite problem. I did go out and buy the pencil point soldering iron, solder and the sealer to reseal the box in anticipation of that being the solution.
Also new front brake pads.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Jag xk8
Have you cleaned your sensors, Do that before anything else. Rev Sam has a video on cleaning them, a simple DIY project. If that doesn't solve the problem then proceed.
Doug
201 XKR Silverstone

Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by RCSign
Jag xk8
Have you cleaned your sensors, Do that before anything else. Rev Sam has a video on cleaning them, a simple DIY project. If that doesn't solve the problem then proceed.
Doug
201 XKR Silverstone

Yep, I did that and found them to be quite dirty. Checked the connections, wires, etc at the time and lightly sanded the contacts with 400 paper to clean off the corrosion on the surface. Had no effect on the messages.

I did not make any attempt to clean the gear like device that the sensors read. Looked all rusty but was not full of dirt or clogged up.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 565 Posts

Hey Matt, I'm curious; is the Jag add-on for the AutoEnginuity tool just a software add-on, and if so, can it be installed on more than one machine? I'd never do anything illegal or unethical, I'm just curious. For research purposes. Yeah... that's it. It's for research purposes. I just wonder if it's possible to buy the $250 scan tool and then install the software upgrade without paying for it. Maybe I should buy the $250 scan tool and you could burn a copy of the upgrade to a CD and I could test it. If it works, then I'll immediately remove it and report it to AutoEnginuity's R&D department so they can install some sort of anti-piracy protection.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

unfortunately sam, they code the enhanced features unlock to the scanner's cable, there is an ID number on its 'box', and I had to type that in with my unique code from their paper instructions.

Mafioso, who has borrowed my AE on an occasion, thinks the newer software isn't tied to the hardware like my 2007 equipment. He's smarty in the programming area, and believes he can unlock the secret and get something to work. Time will tell on that.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
unfortunately sam, they code the enhanced features unlock to the scanner's cable, there is an ID number on its 'box', and I had to type that in with my unique code from their paper instructions.

Mafioso, who has borrowed my AE on an occasion, thinks the newer software isn't tied to the hardware like my 2007 equipment. He's smarty in the programming area, and believes he can unlock the secret and get something to work. Time will tell on that.
Oh, OK. I'm really curious as to what Mafioso finds. For the sake of knowledge only, of course. If he figures out a way to unlock it he should really tell the AutoEnginuity people so they can implement a security patch.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Reverend, if Mafioso is successful, you can reward him with a can of Potted ****.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Unlocking can take dozens of hours of analysis.

The dollar cost of the software seldom justifies the the effort unless time is free.

Unlocking and "publishing" carries a second second set of consequences.

1. the software vendor leaves the market rather than let their work be stolen

2. the software vendor severely restricts the ability of paid subscribers to download new versions

3. the software vendor increases the price to cover the "free" copies being circulated

4. the software vendor implements even stricter controls

5. the software vendor starts using a new dongle that obsoletes all old dongles in new versions

The software vendor is in business, just like anyone else. And, like anyone else, they deserve compensation for their work at the price they set. If someone does not like the price, they can always choose from one of the lesser alternatives. Filet mignon or hamburger. Snap-on or Harbor Freight.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

It's ALL in the software.

The basic OBDII to UBS hardware converter that AutoEnginuity gets $250 for is a standard item that can be purchased for $25 on eBay. The eBay version comes with it's own OBDII standards software but nothing else.

Some enterprising designers or pirates have a couple of the Japanese cars extended code set software available for less than $100.

AutoEnginuity developed the extended code set software at the initiation of members of another Jaguar forum and are the only deal in town at the moment for Jaguar owners.

But I have never had a Harbor Freight tool fail.

Last edited by test point; 03-30-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:05 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Please don't read into anything that may lead you, or anyone else to believe that I would promote and exploit any possible hacking of the software. I was only stating his interest in 'taking something apart to see how it works' mentality. He has AE, and an AE cable, but he can't get cable and software to communicate very well using the more affluent languages. A curious mind he has.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:27 AM

Had my Jag scanned by the Jag shop in Portland on Tuesday and they did confirm that it needed a fix for the ABS control unit.

They will fix it for $350, using my control unit.

Or they will change out the unit with a repaired one for $900+ or put in a new unit for $2,200,

I have the soldering equipment and have enlisted my sons help to attempt the fix today. Wish me luck! Don't figure I have much to lose by trying to fix it myself, since it is trashed already.

We replaced the front brake pads on tuesday using the duralast Gold pads from Autozone, cost was $36. Rotors had a lip but not excessive. I will replace the rotors next time around when I do the back brakes. We did notice that the outside pad was actually glued to the caliper on each side and was hard to break loose. Used a big C clamp to take care of the problem.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

As quoted by H2O

Matt I've got a 2009 unit and its the same as yours it's tied to the software. I don't know if they changed it in two years or not.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 03-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Poatage Stamp

Originally Posted by JagXK82001
Had my Jag scanned by the Jag shop in Portland on Tuesday and they did confirm that it needed a fix for the ABS control unit.

I have the soldering equipment and have enlisted my sons help to attempt the fix today. Wish me luck! Don't figure I have much to lose by trying to fix it myself, since it is trashed already.
We were just talking about this idea on another thread: Instead of removing the entire cover from the unit, can you just remove enough to access the 2 terminals? It seems like it should be just a postage stamp sized area. It might be quicker and easier...