XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Back box removal..too loud ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke
Jay jay jay ...you said under axle but the pipe is over axle ....so what exactly is missing from standard on your car?
What I really want is a quiet cruise at say 70 and a roar when you floor it to pi$$ off some idiot.
I've just used language I've always heard. Under axle. I'll stick with it as it makes sense to me. And let me say ALL of this work was done by the previous owner.

So, laugh if ya want. I literally just had to poke my head under the car, sitting out front waiting to go to work, to have a look. One would think, considering all the time I've spent under this damn thing, I would know, blind.

The CATs are after market. The body of the CATs are very small in comparison to the OE. From there, 2inch pipe, looks like the combined front center muffler/silencer is deleted and two 2inch pipes run directly from CATs/downpipes to the mid silencers. I believe there is an X pipe set up just before the mids.

From the 2 mid silencers, as apposed to bending UP (towards sky and OVER the axle) the pipes (2inch) kick down towards ground and go UNDER the rear center area of axle/diff/subframe (hence under axle) getting pretty close to the ground. They hang there supported by the rear exhaust hangers and downpipe connection (I think).

From there, a little kick back up and away from center line of car with a straight shot, 2inch pipes, out of the back for the car.

Two 3 inch tips at the end of the exhaust... The dude did a good job - I can't take credit. Clearly, can't even describe it.

At 70, foot barely on gas and cruising/gliding the set up can be almost silent. Give her moderate peddle and it's loud, accelerate, loud, even cruise down hill, no gas, can be loud. Definitely loud from a light, I get looks. For short rides the noise is not a big deal. Longer drives (which I like) top down, for me, it's just toooo much and won't due. I will have to do something.

I hope this helps

Old 08-24-2022, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 748 Likes on 510 Posts

Helps a lot as its totally non standard so the noise you get does not equate to mine.
Under axle yes from what you say.
Sounds like inserting something into those last few feet of pipe might quieten it.

Old 08-24-2022, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke
Helps a lot as its totally non standard so the noise you get does not equate to mine.
Under axle yes from what you say.
Sounds like inserting something into those last few feet of pipe might quieten it.
That's the idea, I'm on the hunt. But it's a tough one. I can find plenty of products (markets flooded with stuff to modify exhausts) but don't know what the end result would be. Lots of unknows. Don't want to have a guy cut into what's there, just to end up with something I don't want.

​​​​

Old 08-24-2022, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 479 Likes on 323 Posts

I decided to delete the last 4(2 per side) mufflers on my '06 and replace the crimped 'over rear axle' pipe. I had a local muffler shop that I had used do the work as he has a mandrel bender and does great work. We decided that if the noise was too much, a pair of replacement mufflers could later be added behind the rear axle.
I have had no problem with the current sound(except 80 yr. old neighbor who says it sounds like a 'helicopter'?). I have had some drivers follow me to a stop to ask what I had in the car. Some say it sounds like a mid 60's muscle car. I am pleased with the sound, but each to their own.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
I decided to delete the last 4(2 per side) mufflers on my '06 and replace the crimped 'over rear axle' pipe. I had a local muffler shop that I had used do the work as he has a mandrel bender and does great work. We decided that if the noise was too much, a pair of replacement mufflers could later be added behind the rear axle.
I have had no problem with the current sound(except 80 yr. old neighbor who says it sounds like a 'helicopter'?). I have had some drivers follow me to a stop to ask what I had in the car. Some say it sounds like a mid 60's muscle car. I am pleased with the sound, but each to their own.
Do you remember which brand or type of muffler by any chance?

Old 08-24-2022, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 479 Likes on 323 Posts

We never added the back muffler, but had planned to use either "Cherry Bomb", or Monros.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
We never added the back muffler, but had planned to use either "Cherry Bomb", or Monros.
Cool. Thank you. I need to do something...