XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

BAD Gas smell - inside the vehicle!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAD Gas smell - inside the vehicle!!

So I moved this from the end of one of my previous posts about something else, just so it has it's own thread and gets some attention. I'm going to see if my Jag Indy can take a look at this, but just wanted to throw this out there.

My 99 XK8 runs great, but I still have one major issue - the inside of the car has a very, very strong gas smell. Primarily inside the car, not so much outside in any certain spot that I can tell. The worst is if I drive it for awhile, park it, come back to the car a few minutes later and get in, it's extremely bad. It will almost make your nauseous driving down the road...not healthy I'm sure. That said, no other symptoms or running issues, no CE light, etc....I'd really like to get to the bottom of this, as it almost makes it undriveable. Anyone had an experience like this?

Old 03-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Is the tank totally full when you have the smell? Does it get less as you drive down the tank? Read thru this thread, though this is a long thread it may give you a spot to start.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-smell-50466/

You may want to go to the end first there seems to be alot of fast progress towards the end of the post and a successsful solution as well.

Good luck!

Last edited by daddyo007; 03-25-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:56 AM

Thanks - I did read that post, and am curious about one thing....I don't have any noticeable smell or "clicking" outside the car, as my smell is inside the cabin of the vehicle. Would this possibly point to a different issue? I seems that the purge valve and CCV issues cause a gas smell outside the car on the driver's side. I could be wrong about this, but that's what I seemed to read. I actually have a much better experience when the windows are down or the top is down. Top up / windows up is a bad experience inside the car.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:04 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You can get a smell of "bad eggs" if your catalytic converter has gone u/s

Old 03-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by blast20
Thanks - I did read that post, and am curious about one thing....I don't have any noticeable smell or "clicking" outside the car, as my smell is inside the cabin of the vehicle. Would this possibly point to a different issue? I seems that the purge valve and CCV issues cause a gas smell outside the car on the driver's side. I could be wrong about this, but that's what I seemed to read. I actually have a much better experience when the windows are down or the top is down. Top up / windows up is a bad experience inside the car.
Actually could be right rear outside or inside....that is why one of the TSBs relocates the evap vent. Also one of the TSBs includes doubling up of the tank seal inside the car.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:42 PM

I may be posting on here too quickly....more info here to consider. I have been less than 1/4 tank the last few days with the gas smell being very bad. Last week after having rich codes, we replace one of the O2 sensors (which ended up having a short) and all of my symptoms / CE lights, etc went away and all was good....except for the gas smell. Long story short, I filled it up today at the gas station, drove it all day and NO gas smell at all. The first person on this post asked if it made a difference whether it was full or empty....it's been almost unbearable to drive when the tank was low the last several times, and I had NO odors all day today with a close to full (3/4+) tank. This may be nothing, but figured I'd at least add that piece of info to the conversation. I'm going to monitor it over the next couple of days, but I was pleasantly surprised today.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

At first I was going to point out that I believe the fuel lines run along the right hand inside of the tranny tunnel. The you had to mention the disappearance of the smell when the tank was full...

Can't recall what year OBDll began requiring evap leak tests but do know that most cars (makes/models) won't run the tests when the tank is over 3/4 or less than 1/4.

Just thinking out loud....

Last edited by Beav; 03-27-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:05 PM

I think there is a chance (per my previous comment) that I posted on here too quickly....I had a shorted O2 sensor that made my car run rich for months, and after 3-4 days of driving after the sensor was replaced, the gas smell seems to be about gone. I'm guessing there is a chance that the cats needed to burn off some of that build-up, but that could also be a very un-educated guess. I'm going to keep an eye on it for awhile as I'm at about 1/4 tank but thanks for the feedback either way.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:47 PM

So did you come up with a fix, I am having the same problem, I am ready to buy the purge valve as long as that is the fix, can't drive like this, thanks so much for the responce

Old 08-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Received 4,312 Likes on 3,727 Posts

garagemahall4 - I don't believe the op is still active on the forum - his last activity was August 2012.

As this is your first post, please stop by the New Member area and post an intro.
New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

You can also check out the How To's in the first few threads of the XK8/XKR section as they may give you some things to look at.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-17/

regards,
steve

Old 08-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds like the classic problem of a failed purge valve. There is an excellent video of how do it posted.
LaRue

Old 07-30-2015, 03:11 PM
Smile Having the same problem; thanks for the info.

Having the same problem in 2015! Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by sklimii
garagemahall4 - I don't believe the op is still active on the forum - his last activity was August 2012.

As this is your first post, please stop by the New Member area and post an intro.
New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

You can also check out the How To's in the first few threads of the XK8/XKR section as they may give you some things to look at.

XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

regards,
steve

Old 01-18-2021, 10:14 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have a procedure for the removal of the fuel rail and injectors on a 4.2 naturally aspirated engine?
Reading through various threads I'm leaning towards using injectorrx (of Houston TX) to close the damper port on each rail and to service the injectors while this is done. It looks like it would cost just a little more to do this compared to the damper replacement.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:15 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by larueb
Sounds like the classic problem of a failed purge valve. There is an excellent video of how do it posted.
LaRue
Do you have a link to this video?