XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Barn Find Battery light on and "not charging" message on display

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 07:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Barn Find Battery light on and "not charging" message on display

Hi all,
Just going through the issues I've got with my Zero cost XK8 Barn Find.
Picked the car up as a none runner, once I got it home, I took the battery out (Halford own HSB019) did a quick voltage check (10.4V) then put it an over night charge.
18Hrs later charger was still sinking 4amps but the battery was now showing 12.6V, time to see if it could spin the cat over, just but not good enough to start it.
On with the 3kW Lithium jump started 1st turn of the key engine starts happy bunny, Engine sounds like it has a miss fire and very rough tick over.
Battery light on and "not charging" message on display held the engine at 2000-2500 RPM for 5 mins idle is getting better, bring the engine up to 4000 RPM and hold for 2 mins.
Battery light off and message is out. idle is now steady at 650 RPM let it tick over for 20 mins see coolant all over the drivers (RHD) wheel switch engine off!!

After the car has cooled down checked the coolant it at the bottom of the expansion tank, so top it up (< 1 Litre) Restart car Battery light off and no message. need to look at the mess kitty has dropped on the floor (see Barn Find Oil in Coolant )

Next day tried to start the car but needed booster and idle was rough Battery light on and "not charging" message on display so time to spend some money
£143 for a Yuasa HSB019 Silver 5000 (5 Year guaranty) Battery. Installed it (Battery reading 13.2V,
car starts first time BUT still have Battery light on and "not charging" message on display.
Out with the scanner clear all codes and set it up to display MAF, Coolant temp, RPM and Voltage.
Ran engine at 1000 RPM for 5mins, Voltage showing 14.2V +/- 0.1V Coolant slowly climbing up to 85Deg C
Idle starts of rough buts gets better as engine warms up, battery light on and "not charging" message on display.
Switch off ignition Voltage showing 13.2V. Restart and leave on tick over for 20mins.
Battery light on and "not charging" message on display.
Voltage showing 14.2V (assuming alternator is working)
Coolant hovers between 100C and 90C as the fans kick in and out.
Rev engine to 4000 RPM for 10Secs Scanner throws a P1396 Variable Valve Timing Solenoid B Circuit. Switch engine off.

So my question is with a new battery and the alternator looking like it's working why am I still getting
Battery light on and "not charging" message on display.
Besides the P1396 code no other fault code is displayed.
Thanks for any insight
One other thing the Pully belt tensioner indicator marker is just past the 1st maker so assuming belt is OK

Old 08-18-2021, 08:03 PM
Received 8,178 Likes on 4,934 Posts

Sometimes people replace the alternator with a 'rebuilt' but NOT a Denso unit and the internal parts are not Jaguar compatible.

I like to use a local parts rebuilder for the original unit and never have problems.(Toyota parts seem compatible)

Might be some other fault but the battery charging and 'light-out' sometime are conflicted.

The regulator (or wiring) is the key to the display and compatibility.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Always better to have your original alternator refurbished rather than installing a new aftermarket one that is often not completely compatible. I had our 2006 XK8's factory Denso alternator refurbished with the appropriate Denso kit just over three years ago and it has been behaving 100% properly ever since....

Old 08-23-2021, 05:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Barn Find Battery light on and "not charging" message on display Fixed for now!

As stated in the first post, a newYuasa HSB019 Silver 5000 Battery was fitted but the "not charging" message was still on.
Due to coolant issues I'm chasing I've been starting and running the car quit a bit, yesterday the battery said sod off and wouldn't start the car (voltmeter was showing 12.1V and dropping)
Put the Battery on an overnight charge and went for a drink or two.

Today checked the charger dumping < 1Amp into the battery. Time to refit it, but before I did, I shorted the +Ve and -Ve terminal leads (Hard reset!?).
Fitted the battery (Voltage reading 13.3V) car started 1st time but still Battery light on and "not charging" message on display and my standard rough Idle.
Hold the engine to 1000 RPM until the rough Idle goes away (engine starting to get warm) let it idle at 650 RPM nice and smooth.
Battery light goes off and not charging message has gone.
Restart the car 5 times Battery light goes off after a few seconds and no "not charging message".

Will retry in a day or so but it looks the the new battery was not fully charged when I 1st put it in. (probably been on the shelf for some time)
Hope this helps someone.
XKRT