XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Battery disconnect and multiple resets?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 09:12 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Battery disconnect and multiple resets?

I've heard there are a plethora of resets from, idle, transmission, windows...that must be manually reset after the battery is disconnected. Not to mention possibly the radio and I have no code or original manuals.
Is there a resource I can go to for all the reset instructions following battery disconnect and any way to positively know if I need a radio code and how to get it?
thank you

Old 11-04-2021, 03:58 PM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Markmbaha1
..... Is there a resource I can go to for all the reset instructions following battery disconnect and any way to positively know if I need a radio code and how to get it?
1. read the FAQ's ........ it's in this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ect-faq-74146/

2. as you are in the US (your IP Address shows somewhere in the middle of Lake Michigan), you will be very unlucky if you have a coded radio. The only way to find out is to power it down!

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Markmbaha1 (11-04-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
1. read the FAQ's ........ it's in this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ect-faq-74146/

2. as you are in the US (your IP Address shows somewhere in the middle of Lake Michigan), you will be very unlucky if you have a coded radio. The only way to find out is to power it down!

Graham
I'm replacing the lights in my dash. Do I have to do the hard reset by placing negative cable on positive cable for 10 seconds? Does that action prompt additional steps vs simply disconnecting, replacing the bulbs then reconnecting? Is it advised to do the hard reset vs disconnect and reconnect? I've heard I must disconnect the battery to avoid sparks and blown fuses when I replug the harnesses back into the dashboard. Is this correct?
Thank you very much!!!

Old 11-04-2021, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,556 Posts

If you're not having any odd issues, there's no particular need for a hard reset.

You will need to reset the windows, possibly the throttle limits (I never remember). Any dealership should be able to supply you with the radio code although, as GGG notes, most US cars don't need one.

I would *always* disconnect the battery before unplugging/reconnecting any modules. It's just cheap insurance. Beware if you're due any smog testing that this could cause a fail.

The following 2 users liked this post by michaelh:
Markmbaha1 (11-04-2021), piper 888 (11-05-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
If you're not having any odd issues, there's no particular need for a hard reset.

You will need to reset the windows, possibly the throttle limits (I never remember). Any dealership should be able to supply you with the radio code although, as GGG notes, most US cars don't need one.

I would *always* disconnect the battery before unplugging/reconnecting any modules. It's just cheap insurance. Beware if you're due any smog testing that this could cause a fail.
Thank you. No smog check here. I've tried several dealers and they couldn't be bothered for the code. Oh well. I'll keep trying I would be devastated to loose my sound.
Thanks again.

Old 11-04-2021, 11:24 PM
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Just disconnect the battery, make your repair and connect the battery back up. Windows will need to be reset. Radio should be fine, just be aware that the volume will reset to zero, so if the radio was in on position, it will light up but you will need to turn the volume up first.

Markmbaha1 (11-05-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

the only reset my radio does after a battery disconnect (USA ‘02 XKR) is the volume goes to 0, and it defaults to FM . After the battery is reconnected no code needed to listen to my Bluetooth thru the CD player. I just select “CD” and turn up the volume.

Z

Old 11-09-2021, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Ideas about the need for a hard reset, and when...
It is a good question.
I hope folks WILL correct my ideas where need be.

The reset will bring major systems in the car back to there factory default settings. Things to do with the throttle body, the emissions systems, stored info like fuel trims for instance and maybe things like info from the 4 O2 sensors and how all of that info comes together to (over time) to produce a right running car. In my understanding, the ECU/M and other major components in the car will adapt, accommodate and adjust themselves for the slow and inevitable degrade of modules, sensors, etc...and in changes that occur in all of these systems working together.

So, for instance, I had a MAF that was bad, and I later learned there were other problems. So, over time, the car had gotten very used to (over time) increasingly bad readings from the MAF and O2 sensors in this case. So, I swapped them out. On completing the job (with battery disconnected), so I would not shock the ECU/M on restart with all these new healthy readings from new sensors, I performed a hard reset, clipping the negative to the positive cable in the boot for several minutes. Then restarted the car. That's just me.

More than once I did things like this WITHOUT the hard reset and paid for in the form of inconvenience, confusion and long rambling posts asking for help, lololol...

I'm sure other folks have thoughts on the hard reset, and I'm sure it's possible that some of my explanation might not be right on point, so in that I WOULD LOVE it if others would come in and clear up my cloudy explanations.

Also, and this is just me, after disconnecting the battery and clipping the NEG on the POS I (and this is just me) turn the key to the RUN position in the ignition and turn it to OFF just before I reconnect the cables to their proper posts. But that's just me.

Markmbaha1 (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Ideas about the need for a hard reset, and when...
It is a good question.
I hope folks WILL correct my ideas where need be.

The reset will bring major systems in the car back to there factory default settings. Things to do with the throttle body, the emissions systems, stored info like fuel trims for instance and maybe things like info from the 4 O2 sensors and how all of that info comes together to (over time) to produce a right running car. In my understanding, the ECU/M and other major components in the car will adapt, accommodate and adjust themselves for the slow and inevitable degrade of modules, sensors, etc...and in changes that occur in all of these systems working together.

So, for instance, I had a MAF that was bad, and I later learned there were other problems. So, over time, the car had gotten very used to (over time) increasingly bad readings from the MAF and O2 sensors in this case. So, I swapped them out. On completing the job (with battery disconnected), so I would not shock the ECU/M on restart with all these new healthy readings from new sensors, I performed a hard reset, clipping the negative to the positive cable in the boot for several minutes. Then restarted the car. That's just me.

More than once I did things like this WITHOUT the hard reset and paid for in the form of inconvenience, confusion and long rambling posts asking for help, lololol...

I'm sure other folks have thoughts on the hard reset, and I'm sure it's possible that some of my explanation might not be right on point, so in that I WOULD LOVE it if others would come in and clear up my cloudy explanations.

Also, and this is just me, after disconnecting the battery and clipping the NEG on the POS I (and this is just me) turn the key to the RUN position in the ignition and turn it to OFF just before I reconnect the cables to their proper posts. But that's just me.
I as a Newby, and learning there are so many intricacies to the ways these vehicles work,, new and different systems and what seem to be a bunch of systems to brake down or degrade, I was wondering if a hard reset would be a good idea. I am looking forward to all your comments.
Thank you

Old 11-09-2021, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

A hard reset is always a good idea (USA cars). Electronic systems become corrupted, new parts such as MAF sensors need to start with a clean slate in order to give the proper performance. Etc etc.

resetting the windows and the radio volume and reselecting the CD mode is a very small inconvenience. The trip odometer also reset. No big deal.

Z

Old 11-09-2021, 01:59 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bought mine in June this year and had a few issues, then as I fixed one thing others stopped working. So I bit the bullet and did the full reset. This brought back to life my heated front seats, automatic rain sensor, wing mirror fold back and dip (but not mirror movement fully out), I keep forgetting to check the passenger seat back movement

Needed to code the radio, and went through the full sequence of setting throttle, idle etc

Unfortunately it failed the MOT the next day so haven't really had a chance to take it for a spin to confirm throttle position and performance - hopefully getting it back tomorrow

The following 2 users liked this post by rod9669:
Markmbaha1 (11-09-2021), zray (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by rod9669
..... Unfortunately it failed the MOT the next day so haven't really had a chance to take it for a spin to confirm throttle position and performance - hopefully getting it back tomorrow
Hi, thanks for the info, what do you mean failed the OPEN THROTTLE? What year and model is yours?

Last edited by GGG; 11-10-2021 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Insert QUOTE codes
Old 11-09-2021, 03:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

MOT is an annual vehicle roadworthy test in the UK - failure was nothing to do with throttle position, even though it's coming up to 100k miles, the emissions were spot on. 2004 4.2 XKR convertible

Markmbaha1 (11-09-2021)