XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Battery drain????

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Battery drain????

Hello all,

got an issue I have been scratching my head on for a few days, I have a recurring battery drain issue that if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. I did some digging through the forums and cannot seem to find anything that completely matches.

On Monday evening I went to go and start our 98 XK8, everything was normal until I turned the key, she no start?!, turned the key off and checked everything to make sure nothing was out of place, which it wasn't all apart from the alarm indicator beside the gear shift was rapidly blinking?, I then tried to use the trunk release button and nothing happened?, So I got the trunk open with the "hidden" key method and tested the battery... 9ish Volts, also checked for any loose leads etc, none found. I also checked all the fuses and relays etc, again nothing out of the ordinary. I jumped the battery, started up as normal, the battery is holding charge and at 13.9ish volts when running. I drove around for a while and parked the car as normal, waited 5 minutes and tried to start it again, vroom, starts right up... okay thought must be a glitch, however yet again the alarm indicator is rapidly blinking and the car would not lock or do anything when using both my remotes... and the cursing and head scratching begins. Went to start it yesterday and same issues as before, didn't have time to diagnose any further as I had to get to work so I jumped it again.

Any pointers or clues would be appreciated before I park it in the desert and solve the issue with a gallon of gas and match!!!!

Old 05-14-2014, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

The little spring loaded door for the ignition key may not be closing when you remove the key. Try a little light oil, WD40 not my favorite for this, but okay.
Then stop at an auto supply and have them load test the battery. You may have more than one problem. Have them check for stored codes as long as you're there.

The following users liked this post:
Jen & Neil (05-15-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

A couple of points:

Unless you do a long highway run (as in a couple of hours) your battery is severely undercharged any may continue to cause problems and have reduced life. Invest in a charger or have it charged at a service station otherwise.

When the voltage goes as low as it did, it can cause electronic malfunctions that may not be resolved without a system reset. Remove the negative battery terminal for a minute or so, then reconnect it and see if your problems are resolved.

Jen & Neil (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 07:09 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

I had a 1997 Range Rover....had a constant battery drain
I have a 1987 XJ6...had a constant battery drain
I have a 2005 Trailblazer...had a constant battery drain
I had a 2001 (?) Chevy Lumina (yuk)....had a constant battery drain

All the cars are spread out over a six year period for ownership, and they ALL had the same problem. The starter solenoids were bad....every single one of them. When I changed the solenoid or starter (with internal solenoid) the battery drains disappeared. SO, check the starter solenoid.

Just a thought....

Old 05-15-2014, 08:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by RJ237
The little spring loaded door for the ignition key may not be closing when you remove the key. Try a little light oil, WD40 not my favorite for this, but okay.
Then stop at an auto supply and have them load test the battery. You may have more than one problem. Have them check for stored codes as long as you're there.
Alright, battery load check was great, little spring door great, and no new codes.... now this is where it gets strange, after I pick up my daughter the other day to play Dad taxi, I parked up and switched off the car..... the alarm indicator acted as it should, so after a WTF moment, I cycled the ignition and low and behold everything was normal????..... however after getting in to work this morning the problem had returned, so I opened the passenger door and closed it, tried the remote functions and they worked.... I think something is up with the passenger side systems.... and thank you all very much for your input...

RJ237 (05-15-2014)