XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery light/ not charging light came on

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question battery light/ not charging light came on

hello everyone. on my 2002 jaguar xkr. my battery light and my not charging light came on.. it came on like 4 months ago i put a new alternator on it and it been working fine.. so yesterday i was riding and it came back on.. so i put a new battery in it. it went off.. but when i started driving it. the lights came back on. evrytime i step on the gas the light go off for about 5 minutes then it will come back on.. help please tell me its not the alternator.. again

Old 07-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you get the alternator refurbished or was it a brand new one, i've had a couple of bad experiences in the UK with refurbished alternators and starters, they usually just fix whatever the fault is then paint it so it looks new, a few months down the road and the regulator goes or the brushes wear out depending which one they fixed.

I only buy new starters and alternators as i've had the problem too many times over the years.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

ICYoung, if you have a multimeter, follow these steps and it will guide you to the exact faulty component.

First, put the car's battery on a charger and get the battery up to a full charge (ie, battery at 12.6 VDC). Now, next check fuse #2 (5 amp) in the hood/bonnet fuse box. If this fuse is bad, no power makes it to the alternator to form the generator field, which will result in what you are seeing.

At this point, start the engine and allow to idle. Connect the multimeter across the battery and verify that you are getting around 12.5 VDC (proves alternator not functioning). Now, move the red lead of the multimeter to the white/blue wire coming off of the alternator. Do you have 12 VDC (over 12.0 VDC)? If no, then you have a bad wire between the fuse box and the alternator or you have a bad fuse (can verify the fuse is good by checking for 12 VDC on the 2 metal points on the top of the fuse, if 12 VDC on both posts, proves fuse good, only 1 with power, fuse is bad). If you have power on the white/blue wire, then move the red lead over to the red wire on the suppression module. Do you have 12 VDC there? If yes, then you have a bad wire between the alternator and the starter. If no, then you have a bad alternator.

Please note that all measurements are with the black lead of the multimeter connected to chassis ground. You can leave the black lead connected to the battery, but can also be moved to any bare metal spot on the vehicle. Up to you. I like the battery post as normally you have a small spot that you can put the black lead into and you don't have to worry about trying to hold it as you are taking the other measurement.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah the alternator was refurbished from o reillys autoparts