XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

BBS hidden valve stem cover - where to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 03:05 AM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Hey Graham,

The kit I have has a flat "T"-shaped piece of metal that is used to screw or unscrew the valve cap. If I get the chance I will take a picture but I think I have seen it pictured on some of the OEM resellers. The T-tool really does not work any better than a penny (I keep a penny in the little leatherette case).

Cheers.

Doug
Doug,

After extensive testing with various coins, I find the British penny too thin. However, the seven sided British 20 pence coin could have been designed for the job:

BBS hidden valve stem cover - where to buy?-xk8-bbs-valve-cover.jpg

Have added a 20p coin to my leatherette case. Would still prefer to have the right tool

Graham

Old 02-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Just a general observation. When I first got the car I thought the BBS wheels without a valve stem sticking out were kind of slick. Maybe so in terms of appearance but what should be a quick 5 minute task of checking tire pressure becomes a 15 minute ordeal. What they should have had on these $80K+ cars was a built-in tire pressure sensor system. I believe they have had these for several years now and the new Acura we just bought goes beyond basic low pressure warnings to actually give you a readout of actual tire pressure right on the multi-message information center.

Doug

Old 02-17-2012, 10:38 AM
GGG

Just a general observation. When I first got the car I thought the BBS wheels without a valve stem sticking out were kind of slick. Maybe so in terms of appearance but what should be a quick 5 minute task of checking tire pressure becomes a 15 minute ordeal. What they should have had on these $80K+ cars was a built-in tire pressure sensor system. I believe they have had these for several years now and the new Acura we just bought goes beyond basic low pressure warnings to actually give you a readout of actual tire pressure right on the multi-message information center.

Doug

My weekly pressure check with the car washing routine has gone down to every second week as a direct result. At least I could see a valve cap from ten yards. These BBS covers are so unobtrusive I can hardly find them.

Cars manufactured in Europe from 2013 will have to have on board tyre pressure monitoring. I bet spares for the Jaguar compliant system will be an interesting cost.

Graham

Old 02-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG

My weekly pressure check with the car washing routine has gone down to every second week as a direct result. At least I could see a valve cap from ten yards. These BBS covers are so unobtrusive I can hardly find them.

Cars manufactured in Europe from 2013 will have to have on board tyre pressure monitoring. I bet spares for the Jaguar compliant system will be an interesting cost.

Graham
I have to carefully plan my pressure checking also. With other cars I have always just done this at the gas station during a fill up but I found that the typical unmaintained hoses at many of the stations do not work well with the BBS screw on valves. So I have to go to one of the stations that have decent hoses. Then I try to plan it when there will not be many other people there who are waiting to check there tires as I feel self-conscious about all the time it takes me to unscrew the cap, screw in the valve, check the pressure, add air if needed, remove the valve, replace the cap. And of course it never fails that either the BBS cap or valve will fall out of my fingers and roll under the car, etc.

I end up cursing every time I decide to go through this pressure checking routine.

Doug

Old 02-17-2012, 01:14 PM
GGG

I have to carefully plan my pressure checking also. With other cars I have always just done this at the gas station during a fill up but I found that the typical unmaintained hoses at many of the stations do not work well with the BBS screw on valves. So I have to go to one of the stations that have decent hoses. Then I try to plan it when there will not be many other people there who are waiting to check there tires as I feel self-conscious about all the time it takes me to unscrew the cap, screw in the valve, check the pressure, add air if needed, remove the valve, replace the cap. And of course it never fails that either the BBS cap or valve will fall out of my fingers and roll under the car, etc.

I end up cursing every time I decide to go through this pressure checking routine.

Doug
Gave up using garage ones when they started charging for them.

I've got one of the mini electric compressors powered from the cigarette lighter socket. It can be set to the required pressure and cuts of when it reaches it.

It's surprisingly accurate when compared to my Dunlop gauge but I still over inflate by 2 PSI and then reduce to the correct pressure with the Dunlop.

Graham

Old 02-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

Every time I go to Costco or PepBoys I look at the gizmo they sell that includes a heavy duty battery charger/jump starter and air compressor but it is always a bit more than I want to spend. I have thought about one of those small compressors that plug into the cigarette charger but would rather not put a drain on the car battery. I guess it would still pay to have one of these for the odd times when I have gone into the garage in the morning and found a tire low and need a few pounds to get it to a tire repair place.

Doug

Old 02-17-2012, 01:36 PM
GGG

Every time I go to Costco or PepBoys I look at the gizmo they sell that includes a heavy duty battery charger/jump starter and air compressor but it is always a bit more than I want to spend. I have thought about one of those small compressors that plug into the cigarette charger but would rather not put a drain on the car battery. I guess it would still pay to have one of these for the odd times when I have gone into the garage in the morning and found a tire low and need a few pounds to get it to a tire repair place.

Doug
Unlike the combined Starter/Charger /Compressor units, the mini compressors have a very small current draw and are remarkably quick to add 2 or 3 PSI.

I carry mine around in the boot. The skinny emergency spare doesn't fill me with confidence.

Graham

Old 02-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

My little cigarette lighter compressor works a treat.

Well worth the little money they cost when you can't get to a station or a car has been sitting for a while.

Though I saw a full size compressor at the hardware store the other day and was very tempted for €150.

My father always had one in the gararge and there are many things they are good for besides just filling tires.

cheers,

jj

Old 02-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 1,072 Posts

@ GGG - I *think* I've a spare BBS cover removal tool, if I locate it I'll send it to you.

I agree with all the drama just to add air to the tires

TIP - locate the BBS logo, and you've found the valve!

I hunted for months to find another full size spare, which I nabbed super cheap, had it refurb'd and it now sits in the boot, the space saver is now in the greenhouse!

I'm going to find a good little lighter compressor, the key would be to run the engine on tickover so as not to drain the battery.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:30 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by Sean B
@ GGG - I *think* I've a spare BBS cover removal tool, if I locate it I'll send it to you.

I agree with all the drama just to add air to the tires

TIP - locate the BBS logo, and you've found the valve!

I hunted for months to find another full size spare, which I nabbed super cheap, had it refurb'd and it now sits in the boot, the space saver is now in the greenhouse!

I'm going to find a good little lighter compressor, the key would be to run the engine on tickover so as not to drain the battery.
I'll be delighted if 'think' becomes 'fact'
Always sourced a full size spare myself when I was running X300 and XJ8 saloons with identical rims at each corner. Unfortunately both the last 4.0 ltr and this 4.2 ltr XK8's have wider rims on the rear and directional tyres. In addition, a full size wheel doesn't even fit in the wheel well of this one which could be a challenge on holiday with a load of luggage!

Thanks,
Graham

Old 02-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
Exclamation

The wallet kit with 2 valve adapters, 2 covers and the cover removal tool are for sale on UK Ebay for £42!
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace They say they will post worldwide.

A little expensive, when you can get just the 2 valve adaptors for £15 + post.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (02-21-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just acquired an '03 XKR with BBS Montreal rims, nice looking but a pain in the butt to adjust tire pressure, which I attempted at the local filling station today. Gave up and did one side at home with better equipment.

My question is, has anyone replaced the "hidden" stem with a low profile conventional stem, from BBS of course?

Old 07-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member

Better question--anyone offer an aftermarket pressure sensor of the type that SHOULD have been in these cars to begin with? Back in the 1990s lesser cars provided a low pressure sensor whenever you opted to get runflats. It should have been a no brainer that if you were dishing out $6K extra for the 20" BBS wheels they could have thrown in the sensor as well. A real shame of omission for an $80K car!

Doug

Old 07-25-2020, 04:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for he "official Jaguar kit" for the valve and cover for the Sepang wheels

Originally Posted by GGG
Doug,

The photo is my Jaguar 'official' kit for the UK market. The cap tool is the dirty red thing above the valves:

Attachment 16894

It has a bar in the end to fit the slot in the caps. The bar is broken.

Is the one you have the same thing in metal?

Graham

I am trying to find the kit referenced in this thread about 13 years ago! Anyone know where one could be purchased? I am in the States with the 2005 XKR and trying to avoid the COVIS-19!

Thank you
Richard .

Thank

Old 07-31-2020, 10:49 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You might look into these UK based suppliers. It looks like they ship to the US. I haven't had the need so I don't have any experience dealing with them. Good luck with your quest & please let us know what you turn up.

https://www.xk8-parts.com/2012/11/va...th-bbs-wheels/

https://www.sbwheels.store/

The following users liked this post:
PaulBarrrera (09-13-2020)