XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

BBS Jaguar wheels going out of business??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We wish!

Al

Old 12-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

As quoted by Jamjax
Thanks, I was thinking that my self, that the color will be tough to tell apart.

Did you ever mount the Silver Set?

If not do you want to trade for an Oyster set that is going to be under the Christmas tree for me in lieu of anything else for the next five years when the ISMW reads SG's post. Gulp, gulp.....
I'm running the silver ones right now. The reason I bought the extra set was to take the original oyster and have them refinished and install two new rings which I purchased. I don't want to sell them for the same reason to have a extra set. My cars a pretty much original Silverstone and I wanted to keep a extra set of wheels and tires for it. We've done a few runs, shows, and rallies last year and not one person ever noticed the difference in color on the wheels It is very slight variation in color.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I am also concerned about replacement rims. I have the 20" Sepangs and the car only has 25,714 miles but the previous owner curbed 2 rims,, slight scuffs on the outer ring but enough to entertain repair or replacement...

I LOVE the look 20" Sepangs BIG RED BREMBO's and the Michilen Pilots,,, It's SHARP,,,, IMHO

Da Count

Old 12-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

RC;

Thanks for the feedback on the color.

Count;

Your car looks good too.

Mine has green Brembos to go with all of the original green Medallions/Emblems/wheel caps on the car.

I will say to the rest of you out there that I have been trying to source a full silver set of wheels for two months and the closest that I got was a set of four rear wheels....same seller that has this very last new Oyster set.

So if you think you are ever going to need them better to get them sooner rather than later.

They are only going to get harder and harder to find.

Steve from SBWheels, http://www.sbwheels.co.uk/, who ships to the US and the EU, confirmed the bankruptcy and gave some advice on BBS wheels today, to make sure that any tire shop that mounts tires on the BBS wheels does it from the back and not the front because the trim rings get bent otherwise.

"There have been no older model Jaguar BBS wheels produced for sometime now and all of these are getting harder to source. I have large quantities of the air adaptors, valve assemblies, titanium studs etc in stock (all brand new) as well as the replacement stainless trims that we manufacture, so we will continue to supply these without any difficulty but new wheels and sets are harder to source. I have large quantities of brand new 20inch and 18inch BBS wheels, but these are now coming more irregularly than they used to. Hope this clarifies for you, Regards, Steve"

He also has many bits and pieces of the BBS wheels....even manufactures the trim rings for £120/$185 each...I think there is a discount for four.

"As for lug nuts. The Detroit wheels (as the other 20in BBS with the exception of the Paris ) use the long lug nuts. These are not BBS production, so unaffected, I have large stocks of these, brand new genuine Jaguar

As for the titanium BBS studs , these can be reused on dis-assembly, if the thread is undamaged and not stretched. They can be cleaned up and reused (with new thread-lock). I have these available in quantity in stock, brand new complete with patch-lock.

See the BBS section on my website for available parts that I carry for BBS Jaguar wheels (trims, adapters, valves, valve kits, titanium studs, schraders etc). Regards, Steve"

Thanks and Regards,
Steve
SB Wheels

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 12-19-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Default JamJax

Thanks- I think the car looks clean,,, the wheels and the suspension package(lowered),,, and Obviously (IMHO) the colour. It is almost a blue green in certain light - changes depending on angle and lighting, very cool, are all factory

Name:  PC117104.jpg
Views: 2012
Size:  175.9 KB

Name:  PC117108.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  131.3 KB

Name:  PC117111.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  78.1 KB

Old 12-20-2011, 02:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,866 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Count_Damonee
I am also concerned about replacement rims. I have the 20" Sepangs and the car only has 25,714 miles but the previous owner curbed 2 rims,, slight scuffs on the outer ring but enough to entertain repair or replacement...

I LOVE the look 20" Sepangs BIG RED BREMBO's and the Michilen Pilots,,, It's SHARP,,,, IMHO

Da Count
Count,

That's a proper Jaguar colour - reminds me of the British Racing Green they used on the original XK team cars.

I also like my Sepangs but the PO put some minor scuffs on the front wheen rings. Have you found out whether these rings can be polished or the only option is to replace them?

Old 12-20-2011, 02:47 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by jamjax
RC;

Thanks for the feedback on the color.

Count;

Your car looks good too.

Mine has green Brembos to go with all of the original green Medallions/Emblems/wheel caps on the car.

I will say to the rest of you out there that I have been trying to source a full silver set of wheels for two months and the closest that I got was a set of four rear wheels....same seller that has this very last new Oyster set.

So if you think you are ever going to need them better to get them sooner rather than later.

They are only going to get harder and harder to find.

Steve from SBWheels, SB Wheels, who ships to the US and the EU, confirmed the bankruptcy and gave some advice on BBS wheels today, to make sure that any tire shop that mounts tires on the BBS wheels does it from the back and not the front because the trim rings get bent otherwise.

"There have been no older model Jaguar BBS wheels produced for sometime now and all of these are getting harder to source. I have large quantities of the air adaptors, valve assemblies, titanium studs etc in stock (all brand new) as well as the replacement stainless trims that we manufacture, so we will continue to supply these without any difficulty but new wheels and sets are harder to source. I have large quantities of brand new 20inch and 18inch BBS wheels, but these are now coming more irregularly than they used to. Hope this clarifies for you, Regards, Steve"

He also has many bits and pieces of the BBS wheels....even manufactures the trim rings for £120/$185 each...I think there is a discount for four.

"As for lug nuts. The Detroit wheels (as the other 20in BBS with the exception of the Paris ) use the long lug nuts. These are not BBS production, so unaffected, I have large stocks of these, brand new genuine Jaguar

As for the titanium BBS studs , these can be reused on dis-assembly, if the thread is undamaged and not stretched. They can be cleaned up and reused (with new thread-lock). I have these available in quantity in stock, brand new complete with patch-lock.

See the BBS section on my website for available parts that I carry for BBS Jaguar wheels (trims, adapters, valves, valve kits, titanium studs, schraders etc). Regards, Steve"

Thanks and Regards,
Steve
SB Wheels

cheers,

jj
JJ,

Thanks for the link to SB Wheels.

I wanted a better valve blanking cap removal tool than the round Jaguar one and he shows a 'T' handled version on the accessories page.

Graham

Old 12-20-2011, 04:20 AM

3G;

Glad to share some useful info.

I think I have a T shaped Valve cover remover... will have to check again.

Steve at SB Wheels is really responsive and quick to ship, same day usually.

He made the good point earlier that for a winter set going to 18" wheels makes sourcing Tires quite a bit cheaper and gives you much more choice.

I am sure with a winter tire profile of 55 or even 65 that they would fill the wheel wells nearly the same as the 20"....not to mention cut through the snow better.

Denise McCluggage who has been writing for Autoweek since 1958 always wrote about how her '48 MG-TC on it's tall skinny tires would get her to Vermont in the snow and blizzards when every one else was stuck......I never tried skiing with my teenage TC but didn't get stuck in it either.

cheers,

jj

Old 12-20-2011, 05:42 AM
GGG

3G;

Glad to share some useful info.

I think I have a T shaped Valve cover remover... will have to check again.

Steve at SB Wheels is really responsive and quick to ship, same day usually.

He made the good point earlier that for a winter set going to 18" wheels makes sourcing Tires quite a bit cheaper and gives you much more choice.

I am sure with a winter tire profile of 55 or even 65 that they would fill the wheel wells nearly the same as the 20"....not to mention cut through the snow better.

Denise McCluggage who has been writing for Autoweek since 1958 always wrote about how her '48 MG-TC on it's tall skinny tires would get her to Vermont in the snow and blizzards when every one else was stuck......I never tried skiing with my teenage TC but didn't get stuck in it either.

cheers,

jj
JJ,

Will 18 inch rims clear the Brembo's or is it just the width (8J Front / 10J Rear ) that matters?

As well as the better Valve Cover Removal Tool, I'm also looking for a valve extension with a hexagon so it's easier to tighten and release on the inset valve.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:30 AM

3G;

I don't know if the 18" wheels clear the Brembos for sure.....but I understood that the Brembos were standard from '03 and the 20" wheels were an option so I am assuming the answer is yes they would clear the 18" wheels.

Shoot Steve at SB Wheels an email and ask him about the hexagon extension...if anyone knows about them he will.

And let me know....right now I don't even contemplate checking the air pressure on mine....not good.

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 12-20-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:47 AM

Count;

Your car looks great.

I love light colored interiors, especially in sunny climes.

But you said your's was all factory original...was lowering it, a bigger spoiler, and window wind deflectors factory options?

I thought I had sport seats but no Recaro stamp on mine and different head rests.

And a much smaller spoiler....did those change in '05?

Funny my wheels look Oyster colored at sunset.....but silver any other time of day.....green Brembos match the green Growler emblem on the hood/bonnet...and the center wheel caps.....see that I need a stud cover for the locking wheel stud there as well.

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 12-20-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:44 AM

GGG -Thanks My XJ was British Racing Green and the XKR is Jaguar Racing Green,,, IMHO I think it is the only colour for a Jaguar... The wheel rings are scuffed enough to warrant replacement...

JamJax -Thanks I like the lighter colour interiors as well they look clean and do not fade as easily... The window deflectors was added by the Previous Owner (probably when he changed out the battery and could not immediately reset the windows). But the Palm Beach Trophy Wife likes them...LOL so I left them.

The rear spoiler it factory and the suspension handing package apparently lowers the car almost an inch... I sit alot lower then an XK8, but have not parked next to an 2005 XKR to see the difference there.

Last edited by Count_Damonee; 12-20-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:57 AM

Count I thought that was a link to the Palm Beach Trophy Wife....um which one of you is the trophy?

Cause I always know if I mess up the Italian Movie Star/ Super Model Wife will certainly have my head nailed to the wall......

Glad you have a good one too.

I am hoping I don't have to ever reset the windows....though it seems pretty straight forward....five seconds on the buttons up and down....see I really do read the manual sometimes.

Always liked the BRG especially this Emerald color.....have you thought about changing the side marker lights to white?

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 12-20-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 AM

JJ
(have you thought about changing the side marker lights to white?)

I was looking to change This and That... but when I sat and admired the car I found out that it is really hard to Improve on PERFECT... With the Green colour I think that the Orange side markers and directionals look really Good,,, But not so much Maybe with other colours... Besides my Palm Beach Trophy Wife is originally from Wisconsin and WE are Green Bay Packer Fans so the colours kinda work,,, lol.

And I did buy this for her for Christmas... EVEN THOUGH my Birthday was this past Saturday... And she took me shopping,,, To BUY More Christmas presents for everyone but ME...

So now I am looking for another 2005 XKR FOR ME...

Old 12-20-2011, 09:36 AM

Count;

Certainly agree that if you ever stop driving this XKR long enough to let the PBTW driver her car that you should have your own.

Convertible for that great Florida weather?

Matching colors or do you have another color in mind?

Lots of them to choose from in Florida.

The IMS/SMW has a bright yellow Mini Cooper S....but then she can get away with wearing any color she wants.

cheers,

jj

Old 12-20-2011, 10:12 AM

JJ- I like the Coupes,,, Love the lines. Florida does seem to be the place for a convertible,,, BUT there are a lot of variables to consider. First being it will Mess up the Palm Beach Trophy Wifes hair... and then there are the minor issues such as the cost of maintenance and repair,,, The salt air here is an issue. This is my backyard Jupiter Inlet District.

And I had considered one,,, even found one in Missouri 2001 with 9500 miles but I did not want maintenance or the Bill from her Stylist every other day...

Actually after I thought it out,,, I might use the car with the top down once in a while but she would not. I RARELY saw coupes but always would see a Convertible which hardly ever had the top down go figure that one out...

So I looked for a coupe specifically...

Old 12-21-2011, 04:52 AM

Count;

Have had convertibles since I was a teenager except for the past six years until I got the XKR....longest I have gone without one.

But when I lived in the Southwest it was too hot to drive for more than ten minutes with the top down in the day....at sunset and at night would have the top down....but during the day I would be sun burnt in ten minutes.....

Oddly I have noticed over the years that the shorter a woman's hair is the more they complain about convertible's.....no idea why that is.

That looks like a great place on the coast.

One of the best drives of my life was Ft. Lauderdale to Key West on a Kawasaki Ninja 1100, stunning views, endless water, sunset that lasted about 3 hours and blasting from island to island, traffic is a non issue with a bike that fast, slowing down to 100mph seems like dawdling....even worse than in an XKR.

Enjoy the Coupe and the PBTW...not necessarily in that order.

Let us know what you get....lots of choices in Florida.

cheers,

jj

Old 12-21-2011, 05:56 AM
GGG

3G;

I don't know if the 18" wheels clear the Brembos for sure.....but I understood that the Brembos were standard from '03 and the 20" wheels were an option so I am assuming the answer is yes they would clear the 18" wheels.

Shoot Steve at SB Wheels an email and ask him about the hexagon extension...if anyone knows about them he will.

And let me know....right now I don't even contemplate checking the air pressure on mine....not good.

cheers,

jj
JJ,

Steve at SB Wheels has valve extensions with a knurled section on the stem at £20 each. Extensions with a hexagon aren't available. The knurled ones look much easier to fasten and, more importantly, to remove than the originals.

The following users liked this post:
jamjax (12-21-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 06:36 AM

Thanks G;

I will be ordering a second set of lug nuts and wheel center caps from Steve to go with the new wheels I just bought from another seller.

Guess I will need two sets of the valve extensions as well.

cheers and Happy Holidays,

jj

Old 12-21-2011, 06:52 AM
GGG

Thanks G;

I will be ordering a second set of lug nuts and wheel center caps from Steve to go with the new wheels I just bought from another seller.

Guess I will need two sets of the valve extensions as well.

cheers and Happy Holidays,

jj
JJ,

Two sets of valve extensions - the cost he's quoting is £20 each, not £20 for four.

You're not thinking of leaving them on permanently...............?

Quick Reply: BBS Jaguar wheels going out of business??