XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Before you buy, read this

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I don't buy the 'expensive cars are expensive to repair' when it comes to Jaguar. My indy mechanic has no idea how much money I have or don't have, but they're always considerate and always have a low-average cost for work.

I've also compared bills to a few other friend's cars... And my XKR is cheaper than most of my other friend's... and it's not expensive cars that are expensive to repair, all new cars are expensive to repair now.

So I think it's more of a luck thing than anything else.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:44 PM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

A couple things not mentioned to be ready to fix:

Convertible to line in the header latch break apart and leak out. Some what expensive to repair as the lines run from trunk area to under the carpet to the top of the windshield.

Differentials start to leak anywhere over 50k either axle seals or pinion seals leak.

Rear shocks will start to knock have seen as early as 15k.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

This is the advise I give when somebody is going to buy a "hobby" or high end car;

There are forums like this one for just about every car ever made. You can probably find a forum dedicated to the Chrysler K car.

As part of the research process I would recommend visiting these forums and discovering the issues. (All cars have them)

Prior to purchasing my xk8 I found this forum and because of what I read about the 4.0. I decided to spend more money and go with a 2003 xk8 and the 4.2

Old 03-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks!!!!!!

For all the great responses. Now I have a new list of bugaboos. Oh boy!

Of course I know the diff between low- and high-maintenance vehicles. I'm at an age where I've had many of each. Funny thing, tho - 2 M-Bs, one with 180k miles, were very little trouble. Most trouble free was a '67 Datsun roadster (looked like an MGB). Maybe that's why older the Jap cars are getting some collector interest. Supras were super; Z cars too rust prone, though.

Anyway, my message was not intended as a complaint. It was meant to inform and maybe elicit some dialogue, which it did.

Thanks again and keep 'em runnin'.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep if you can't afford costly repairs and or the parts may wanna head down another car path! I have my 2 Jags for many years and my wife has opened her own bank account away from ours/mine and told me to add the 2 Jags to The new me account!! No worries I have her account pin # if I need to borrow/steal a few bucks! Although after her leave of absence from the bank account I have noticed a slimming affect!

Old 03-29-2012, 01:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience, Hawkeye! I didn't do my research first (this was my very first used car experience) and am finding that I've got some of the more commn issues that have been discussed on the forums including:
Possible timing chain ticking
Intermittent ABS/Traction/Stability lights
Need of new Radiator hoses and thermostat housing
Intake manifold leak

As almost brave as the forums make me, I'm still pretty hesitant to dive in and start working on the car myself. I'm in the process of finding some indy repair shops in my area, as the estimates the dealer gave me were pretty darn high!

Even with the issues, I am completely in love with how she drives. Taking her out on the sunny weekend we just had was good for the "soul".

Old 03-29-2012, 06:35 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvMyKitty
Thanks for sharing your experience, Hawkeye! I didn't do my research first (this was my very first used car experience) and am finding that I've got some of the more commn issues that have been discussed on the forums including:
Possible timing chain ticking
Intermittent ABS/Traction/Stability lights
Need of new Radiator hoses and thermostat housing
Intake manifold leak

As almost brave as the forums make me, I'm still pretty hesitant to dive in and start working on the car myself. I'm in the process of finding some indy repair shops in my area, as the estimates the dealer gave me were pretty darn high!

Even with the issues, I am completely in love with how she drives. Taking her out on the sunny weekend we just had was good for the "soul".
The ABS Traction stability may be a super easy fix. There is a post from Rev Sam on the forum that shows how to do it. If you can turn a wrench and have an old tooth brush and about 15 minutes you can probably clear up that problem.

Here it is

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ors-faq-37434/

The following users liked this post:
LuvMyKitty (03-29-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 03:38 PM

LuvMyKitty, I too had the intermittent ABS warning. Mechanic found that the neg batt cable was not fully tightened to its post. That was 2 months ago and it's been fine since.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts
Default 97 xk8

I have a 97 XK8 previous owner (origonal) had the trans rebuilt and had replaced the tensioner, water pump and other plastic parts already, her shop did a sloppy job of sealing though so I have a very slow coolant leak (no pooling but have to top off every month or so). It was garaged so weather stripping, underbody, and rubber look new. Had one weather stip over the passenger door ripped though ($275 for part, about 10 minutes to replace). Missing a key fob so bought two on-line $75 each programing is a bitch. Replaced entire sound system added nav for about $2,300 installed sounds great but, if I had to do it over again would have modified dash for double DIN Pioneer or Kenwood head unit (and will upgrade before year end) put in single DIN motorized head unit and it's kind of a pain. Currently working on an LS3 engine swap, California car, pray for me.

Been a great hobby car so far.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:36 AM

I made, what I hope wasn't a big mistake, and bought a 2000 xk8 with 68K miles without having it checked-out by a mechanic. I looked, and test drove a few similar cars prior to buying this one and was so impressed with its tight ride, smooth gear changes etc. that I took the plunge. I did however, thanks to the info found on this site, review the service receipts from the previous owner. They included the timing chain and tensioners, recently serviced transmission, replaced motor in the antenna and the arm rest on the console as well as new rotors and pads. Perhaps naive, but my rational was that if the PO took good care of it, (which the almost flawless body and interior indicated) perhaps I just got lucky. Now, after reading the previous posts, I'm starting to wonder what I got myself into.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:12 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89

I agree with you that Jaguar uses far too much PLASTIC. This is not just an XK8 thing.
It's not just a Jaguar thing. I've encountered it in high-end Mercedes, Audis, and BMWs too.

Originally Posted by oldjaglover

But it's still a gorgeous and pleasant car to drive....one of the best.
Get the right angle on it and it's about the best-looking car on the road. And it has many good angles. Plus it's a sweet drive!

Originally Posted by Spurlee

For perspective, hop on the Mercedes SL500 site and see what REAL problems look like.
Yep... I've learned about active suspensions, such as I had on my XJ8. Never again, if I can help it. And I moderate the SL forum at BenzWorld. Active Body Control? Stay far away from it.

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I think it is just that cars in this category are going to have repairs that are more expensive than more mainstream vehicles. My 7 years of BMW ownership were certainly no walk in the park and is the main reason that I will not seriously consider another one.

Doug

Originally Posted by Doug
Yup, expensive, high-end cars are expensive to repair. Some grumble but I can't imagine anyone actually expecting otherwise.
Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti are another matter, but who wants to drive one?

Originally Posted by robert53
I made, what I hope wasn't a big mistake, and bought a 2000 xk8 with 68K miles without having it checked-out by a mechanic. I looked, and test drove a few similar cars prior to buying this one and was so impressed with its tight ride, smooth gear changes etc. that I took the plunge. I did however, thanks to the info found on this site, review the service receipts from the previous owner. They included the timing chain and tensioners, recently serviced transmission, replaced motor in the antenna and the arm rest on the console as well as new rotors and pads. Perhaps naive, but my rational was that if the PO took good care of it, (which the almost flawless body and interior indicated) perhaps I just got lucky. Now, after reading the previous posts, I'm starting to wonder what I got myself into.
Naw, don't sweat it. There will be issues--if you're lucky, they will be minor--and the expertise on this board is truly awesome. Enjoy your car and congrats!

Old 05-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 690 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by robert53
Anyone reading this forum for the first time would think these cars are all a mess and a huge money pit, and they can be if not properly maintained. However, with reasonable maintenance and correction of some known issues, the XK8/R cars are very reliable and better than most high-end luxury cars in terms of cost to maintain.

Never forget the newest of these are now 7 years old and some are pushing 17 years of service. They perform best when attended to and regularly driven. Sounds like yours has service records and some of the big things have been addressed. That is a very good start. And if there is trouble, this forum is the best for help and support.

Hope yours is a rewarding experience and it brings you miles of smiles!

robert53 (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Hawkeye

I recently purchased a 1998 XK8 with 52000 miles and my list of fixes matches yours plus a few more Items. The only difference is that I read the hundreds of posts on this forum and knew what I was getting into. Many of the repairs can be performed by a novice mechanic and with help from the forum "how to" and videos. Any problems I encounter I think of an opportunity to spend time in the garage with one of the loveliest vehicles ever produced. It sounds like you have the major issues resolved. Owning a Jaguar is like getting married, more work than expected but the benefits out weigh the costs. by the way I bought my wife a Honda Civic darn thing won't die.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fulton:
JimC64 (05-30-2013), robert53 (05-29-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 03:02 AM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I have had older cars for fun and newer cars for work, always have and always will. In addition to the XK8 I have a MY88 Lotus Esprit Turbo and before that a Jag XJ40. Also in the past a Triumph GT6 and a Mazda RX7, all of which needed work on them - but for me that's half the fun of owning them.

I don't think I could afford to run cars like this if I relied on dealers and indy's to do the work. Each of the "classics" I have owned has been a project, and reading the forums regularly seems to increase the list of jobs to do. it always seems like I read somebody else's trouble and two weeks later it happens to me.

The original post seems to have all the jobs listed that my XK8 needed, but i could add a whole lot more to it. The biggest worry for me was discovering that my 2001 XK8 has a 1997 engine in it. Seems to be ok though.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Anyone reading this forum for the first time would think these cars are all a mess and a huge money pit, and they can be if not properly maintained. However, with reasonable maintenance and correction of some known issues, the XK8/R cars are very reliable and better than most high-end luxury cars in terms of cost to maintain.

Never forget the newest of these are now 7 years old and some are pushing 17 years of service. They perform best when attended to and regularly driven. Sounds like yours has service records and some of the big things have been addressed. That is a very good start. And if there is trouble, this forum is the best for help and support.

Hope yours is a rewarding experience and it brings you miles of smiles!

Also I think you find that folks that frequent car forums like this are often not the mainstream car owners. You get folks that are more into their cars and doing so are more sensitive to car problems consequently posting their problems and looking for solutions.

Also "specialty" and "high end" car owners are going to notice problems more and also be less patient about them versus someone who buys a Camry or Altima as a daily driver.

Unless you have the time and tools and wherewith-all do tinker yourself, the next best thing is to find some decent independent to work on "specialty" cars. Luckily, there are a number of independent guys near me that specialize on Jaguars. The two niggling problems that I still need to address are the clunk from the front and gap between the front and quarter windows on the passenger side. I just need to find a day or so to leave it with a mechanic.

Doug

The following 2 users liked this post by SeismicGuy:
Jag#4 (05-30-2013), JimC64 (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

BAM.............Doug hits the nail right on the head, end of story!

Also I think you find that folks that frequent car forums like this are often not the mainstream car owners. You get folks that are more into their cars and doing so are more sensitive to car problems consequently posting their problems and looking for solutions.

Also "specialty" and "high end" car owners are going to notice problems more and also be less patient about them versus someone who buys a Camry or Altima as a daily driver.

Doug

robert53 (06-01-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 690 Likes on 560 Posts

All true. I drove a Saturn that belonged to my daughter as a second car for the better part of a year with a piece of electrician's tape on the instrument panel to hide the CEL. If my blue cat even blinks a light I bust out the code reader and dive into the forum for a fix. Even though I didn't pay that price for it, I expect more out of a $75k car...and she's my baby.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

With a good number of members on this forum it's not just driving these cars, it's actually a love affair. Doug, Jim and Mike all Hit the nail on the head. I don't worry about our everyday drivers, but if the cat throws a code it immediately will be drirected to the garage. If we travel overnight I'll bring the OBDII. It'll get washed, waxed, detailed weekly, and fluid levels checked tens times as often. I'll check the car out and notice a bug, where as with the everyday SUV it can be dented and it would probably take me a week to notice it.

The following 2 users liked this post by RCSign:
JimC64 (05-30-2013), SeismicGuy (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 333 Posts

I bought my 2002 XK8 about 5 months ago and spent probably over 3000 on maintainence the former owner didn't keep up with. (hydraulic hoses, rear shocks, rotors and pads, new cooling system parts) Now I'm finishing installing my Arden kit to the tune of 3800.00.
I never expected this car to be cheap to own but I did expect it to be amazing! And it is!!
My poor XF hasn't seen many miles since I bought the xk8.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

I do all my own maintenance and repairs on all my vehicles. I like having forums like these to see the worst case scenarios of owning a car. I know about nikasil, fuel pump leads, timing chain tensioners, roof latch hoses and such. It makes me feel more comfortable to know that really the most expensive repair would be a new block; and even that isnt too bad compared to a Mercedes SL/CL's ABC suspension or any AMG motor.

Others have said it, a lot of people don't stop in and go "Hey, another year and absolutely nothing broke on my car". My car has been more reliable than I ever thought it would be and very inexpensive on parts. Since this spring, all that I've replaced is the coolant expansion tank and the coil it ruined. $270. My C4 Corvette drained me quite a bit of time and money each spring because it was old and s*** just broke; one year i awaken it and have an external head gasket leak, one year a shock was leaking, another was the transmission input shaft seal, one year was brake fluid leaking and destroying a wheel. This didn't include the breakthroughs throughout the year. The Corvette cost me more per mile and year than my XKR has.

Quick Reply: Before you buy, read this