Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Fuel Pump for the 2000 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 744 Posts
Default Best Fuel Pump for the 2000 XK8

My cut off and starting right back up has finally reared it's ugly head.
To say I'm glad, would be a understatement, as this has keep me from taking the car even out for dinner. It stopped on me twice on the way to the golf course and all the OBD's in the world can't find a intermittent problem.
Don't mind the work, those before have shown the way, thank you very much.
I see the best at Rockauto is $70 or so and the Advance Auto less than a hundred. Not as concerned over the price as the results others have had with connections and reliability.
So, please give me a little direction, thanks.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

Well after 5 hours no one is home.
Needed this done now, so ordered the Delphi kit with hoses and the screen.
May have to change some wires to fit a plug, but small job compared to the rest of it.
Paid for fast shipping, so lets see how that goes.
Anyone use this kit and if so any thing we should be prepared for. Other than towing it to the dealer.
Jon89 and I will be on the job this weekend. We are following our Guru Gus.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (01-16-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,418 Likes on 755 Posts

Sorry no experience of this. Good luck on the job and let us know how you get on.

I presume, for his help, Jon89 is due a BBQ lunch for this, plus a few cold ones.

cjd777 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks David.
Jon has always been the guy to count on and we do it for the experience.
Now the meal is just icing on the cake. If he lived closer, we would have to go to Weight Watchers for sure.
Lots of good write ups on this job and will review enough to have a good chance to make it a no surprises job.
Getting the hoses off needs caution because of the age of the plastic some are attached too. The ones on the bottom will certainly give some grief, I look forward to the challenge.
If worse comes to worse, I'll get Jon to ripe it out and replace all the parts torn up. Big Guy.
Soon the rest of the story.

The following 2 users liked this post by cjd777:
DavidYau (01-16-2020), Jon89 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,849 Posts

David,

If we have time to hit one of the local BBQ joints you know we will indeed do so. This job will probably take quite some time so we shall see how it goes....

If Wayne's new fuel pump is delivered on Friday, we will do the job on Saturday. If it is delivered on Saturday, we will do the job on Sunday. As always, anyone in the general area is encouraged to join us. This will be one of those jobs that we all can truly go to school on as these aging fuel pumps continue to die off....

cjd777 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

I have done this twice. Follow Gus's directions as I did.
The biggest pain is releasing the fuel lines under the car. There is very little room to release the lines. I bought a fuel line release set of tools from Autozone. Find which one works, drill a small hole in it and attach a string to it. You will likely drop it trying to release the line and it will fall into a spot you can't get to. The string will help you get the tool back out. Hopefully one of you have small hands, I have large hands which make it hard to work in the small area.

Good luck.
Wish I could be there to help.

The following 6 users liked this post by BobRoy:
cjd777 (01-16-2020), DavidYau (01-16-2020), Don B (01-16-2020), fmertz (01-16-2020), Johnken (01-17-2020), Jon89 (01-16-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-17-2020, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member

Bob, Wish you were here to just direct us and drink coffee, it's going to be a little chilly.
Have already ran into what is going to be a major problem for me under the car. Tried a couple of hoses to drain the tank and not getting much. Must be hitting a baffle and sending the tube up instead of down, Murphy's Law.
Will give it another go today.
We did decide on Sunday for the extraction, so have to plan on finding a big shallow pan and moving as quick as a 79 year old can if I don't get some of the gas out of there. LOL
Gus will be the guide book and Sam's video was a big help also. Lots of other threads on the subject and knowledge is golden.

DavidYau (01-18-2020), Jon89 (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

I hope Wayne's new fuel pump will show up with the correct electrical plug connections so no harness splicing or soldering will be required. Not a good idea in close proximity to a gas tank....

One big advantage to the replacement 4.0 engine fuel pumps is that the aftermarket versions are readily available in the $60 to $100 range from rockauto.com. Out of curiousity, I checked rockauto.com last night for the replacement 4.2 engine aftermarket fuel pumps and they unfortunately still range from just under $500 to over $700. Seems crazy to me. Are there more affordable replacement 4.2 fuel pumps out there somewhere?

Old 01-17-2020, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
I hope Wayne's new fuel pump will show up with the correct electrical plug connections so no harness splicing or soldering will be required. Not a good idea in close proximity to a gas tank....
I remember changing the connector on the fuel pump/harness. It looked hot and burnt. I can't remember how I did it, I didn't solder anything, but it was simple and was included with the Delphi pump.

I have a hard time remembering sometimes. I think the hard drive between my ears is starting to crash.

The following 3 users liked this post by BobRoy:
cjd777 (01-17-2020), DavidYau (01-17-2020), Jon89 (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Honestly,,, Jaguar should have made a way to get to the fuel pump thru the back dash... It's a no brain-er. I can only imagine why they wouldn't have... Trips to the dealer and several hundred dollars in billing customers for 20+ years, hence-forth, comes to mind... I say all that to say,,,,

I can get to and change my fuel pump in my XK8 and an XKR in 15min... Easy. No worries about anything going wrong... I have a pump that I may do this weekend. I don't have to face the life and death type danger that comes with spending hours under a car,,, the stuff falling in my face and eyes, damaging other parts, etc etc etc

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would approach changing the fuel pump in an XK, from underneath the car, when the solution (creation of an access way) is documented and takes 30 min,,, for a life time of unfettered fuel pump access... It makes no sense.

Same with drilling a couple of holes for diff fluid port access,,,, and bunch of other discovered shortcuts designed to undo Jaguars poor engineering in terms of service-ability,,,, and an ongoing ability to bill the hell out of customers - ongoing...

Old 01-17-2020, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89

One big advantage to the replacement 4.0 engine fuel pumps is that the aftermarket versions are readily available in the $60 to $100 range from rockauto.com. Out of curiousity, I checked rockauto.com last night for the replacement 4.2 engine aftermarket fuel pumps and they unfortunately still range from just under $500 to over $700. Seems crazy to me. Are there more affordable replacement 4.2 fuel pumps out there somewhere?
Try Walbro... PWM pumps are available. Ford makes them as well. I'm just being taught these things by some members here because of my recently acquired 2003 4.2 with the returnless fueling system. What I am coming to understand is that after the mid 2000's thousands of manufactures went this (PWM) way,,, so there must be a solution to this cost...

I am going to find a pump (and I think I have) that will work, zip tie it into the plastic bucket,,, and (try) to keep it moving... That's just me.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:17 AM
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
I can get to and change my fuel pump in my XK8 and an XKR in 15min... Easy. No worries about anything going wrong... I have a pump that I may do this weekend. I don't have to face the life and death type danger that comes with spending hours under a car,,, the stuff falling in my face and eyes, damaging other parts, etc etc etc

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would approach changing the fuel pump in an XK, from underneath the car, when the solution (creation of an access way) is documented and takes 30 min,,, for a life time of unfettered fuel pump access... It makes no sense.
Makes some sense. Jaguar intended there to be lift access. With that and the right set of adapters those lines are off and the tank is out. Do it enough times and you can get it done in 40 minutes.

Some people don't like the idea of messing with the integrity of that piece of metal (dont really feel right saying firewall but maybe it is?) between a tank of fuel and the cabin. I'd personally never do it, and have found releasing the lines underneath pretty easy when you do it enough times.

Last edited by Norri; 01-17-2020 at 11:24 AM.
cjd777 (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Of course there are structural differences between the coupe and the vert, I get that, but the coupe has a hole there - for a speaker, no less. Also, the cut out doesn't have to be a complete cut in the convertible, in that sense. Material can be and is left in the front and back side of the hole. Jaguar could of and should have made an access way here. They (corporations) count beans. They project these sorts of revenue streams into the future in many many areas when it comes to the release of a product. Predictable service items on 90k vehicles,,, the cost associated with,,, are all factored in. It burns me... This unservice-ability also, and understandably, led to the unpopularity of an amazing machine. Who knows why they did themselves in in such a way...? But I for one would like to undo that myth (and partial reality) anyway I can.

Anyways,,, I personally am GLAD I was taught a way to solve the inevitable problem of the fuel pump (and other things) by folks in this site/forum who think outside the box... I am very grateful for ingenious folks who come up with an offer dependable work arounds and clever, practical, workable solutions. Especially once a workaround of an obvious engineering shortcoming has been found... It's what mechanics do... . Owning one of these beautiful machines can be intimidating,,, costly and worrysome in a perfect world... Anything that shaves off some of that worry is a welcomed blessing. Anything that adds to the fear, apprehension and uncertainty is not helpful - IMHO. That's just the way I see it. I'm a ---- nothing to fear but fear itself kinda guy,,, and tooooo often doubt and fear (it's so easy to do) is sprinkled on the 'work' of these cars... It's like,,, adding fear, concern, doubt, is a MARK of being an expert and good with the 928, the XJS, the XK etc,,,. It's not. It's only spreading fear and doubt and offering it to folks who come to the forum for answers, reassurance and a belief that the work is doable ... Not useful in my book.

I would be pissed if I went thru the process (by direction) of changing a fuel pump on this car by going UNDER the car,,, just to learn later that all I needed to do was remove the rear speaker, or use a grinding wheel to make a V in the back dash, lol... And I've seen members and visitors get just that kind of instruction...

Anywho... I'll shut up now...

Old 01-17-2020, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Of course there are structural differences between the coupe and the vert, I get that, but the coupe has a hole there - for a speaker, no less. Also, the cut out doesn't have to be a complete cut in the convertible, in that sense. Material can be and is left in the front and back side of the hole. Jaguar could of and should have made an access way here. They (corporations) count beans. They project these sorts of revenue streams into the future in many many areas when it comes to the release of a product. Predictable service items on 90k vehicles,,, the cost associated with,,, are all factored in. It burns me... This unservice-ability also, and understandably, led to the unpopularity of an amazing machine. Who knows why they did themselves in in such a way...? But I for one would like to undo that myth (and partial reality) anyway I can.

Anyways,,, I personally am GLAD I was taught a way to solve the inevitable problem of the fuel pump (and other things) by folks in this site/forum who think outside the box... I am very grateful for ingenious folks who come up with an offer dependable work arounds and clever, practical, workable solutions. Especially once a workaround of an obvious engineering shortcoming has been found... It's what mechanics do... . Owning one of these beautiful machines can be intimidating,,, costly and worrysome in a perfect world... Anything that shaves off some of that worry is a welcomed blessing. Anything that adds to the fear, apprehension and uncertainty is not helpful - IMHO. That's just the way I see it. I'm a ---- nothing to fear but fear itself kinda guy,,, and tooooo often doubt and fear (it's so easy to do) is sprinkled on the 'work' of these cars... It's like,,, adding fear, concern, doubt, is a MARK of being an expert and good with the 928, the XJS, the XK etc,,,. It's not. It's only spreading fear and doubt and offering it to folks who come to the forum for answers, reassurance and a belief that the work is doable ... Not useful in my book.

I would be pissed if I went thru the process (by direction) of changing a fuel pump on this car by going UNDER the car,,, just to learn later that all I needed to do was remove the rear speaker, or use a grinding wheel to make a V in the back dash, lol... And I've seen members and visitors get just that kind of instruction...

Anywho... I'll shut up now...
Yeah, we could have another 40 responses arguing back and forth about this and with how long winded that is I'm just going to shrug emoji. I'm not some stickler by the book person against working smart not hard - it's how I've kept mine running for so long so I dont really need to explain myself to that other long winded response. Some things people like to do and some things people dont like to do so that shouldn't sway someone from having a way to fix it "out of fear", if it does they arent getting both sides of the story anyways and that's never a good thing.

I will say is a US ORVR tank on a coupe is not just removing the rear speaker unless you have some robotic arms or something. And moving that tank in anyway with those lines connected seems iffy. I tried to see how well that write up the guy did with a ROW XKR coupe would work on my US 02 and it seemed pretty bizarre. Not sure where the doing it underneath part keeps coming from, what happens underneath is disconnected those lines. The tank is then moved back for access.

cjd777 (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

In their advertisement Rockauto states the Delphi kit comes with float and strainer. If you look at the picture they are no where in sight and do not come with the kit in any of the places I looked. Autozone $100 and Advance $96 or close to it.
I did complain about this and told them it was going to cost $16.99 for a strainer, don't really care about the float. They issued a Store Credit right away for that amount. So they know it's not included, just glad it wasn't a three act play like last time on a "A" arm wrong part.
Autozone had one in stock a Spectra Premium Strainer A41STR for $12.99.
One other item there was some question about. The pig tail wire looks to have a plug in to the Jaguar harness and the other end into the pump, hoping no soldering.
So there you go, a heads up and now I have the parts needed.
Short of driving a nail in the bottom of the tank, Jon and I are good to go.
Who said you can't have fun working on a Jaguar.

Jon89 (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

Looking forward to getting together with Wayne again tomorrow. I know this job will be time-consuming and difficult to get the hands and tools into some of the tight spaces but with Gus' jagrepair.com tutorial as our guide, I believe we will be successful....

cjd777 (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Better give the added information as I get it, hard to remember all the little details at the end of a job.
The sweet spot for the pipe to get a full flow of gas out of the pump hose is 44 inches. I ended up using a 1/4 inch hose inside the HF pump and duct taped to keep it from sucking air. Took about a hour between emptying the two gallon container and getting some fresh air. Keep the leaf blower going a few times to air out the garage.
Ended up getting 5 and 1/2 gallons from a showing 1/4 tank. Sucked air for the last 10 minutes with a bit of gas in it. So feel a lot better about not getting a face full.
One thing in observing the Utube and other write ups, when the lines are finally disconnected, no one has complained about any major gas leak. Do these pipes only contain gas if there is pressure on them from the full pump? Do they or either one really set on the bottom of the tank above these connections? I'm going to have a look when I get it out and will report back. Save a lot of trouble if we could do this job with a half tank of gas. Just might be a little heavy. Oh well, I got Jon. LOL No, a gallon or two won't make that much difference as we have to tug on it anyway.
More later, now to go load the truck up with tools from the outside garage to the house one.

DavidYau (01-18-2020), Jon89 (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 11:22 AM

I've had to grab the OEM strainers from worldpac for both of my cars. God forbid I recommend anything jaguar, but it is what it is. They weren't too expensive. So yeah I'm not too sure the strainers are going to show up with any of the kits but not sure. When I did both cars for each I got the tank seal, two rebuild pumps from a trusted seller through worldpac, two harness wires (I only needed one for my XK, since the sender was the late revision that had the other one), two strainers....and I think that's it. That seal will be swollen so you might want to grab one.

I didnt get the kit because I didnt want to mess with the wiring. But I like the idea of doing the kit because you're putting a trusted manufacturers pump in there.

The following 2 users liked this post by p-Rock:
cjd777 (01-18-2020), Jon89 (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

In the 2003 XKR tank (don't know if the xk8 is the same) there is about 2 to 3 inches steel fuel line coming UP off the bottom of the tank that the clamp style hose from the pump goes into/onto... Seems like a good amount of fuel would have to be in there to make it up and over it's height...

The following 2 users liked this post by JayJagJay:
cjd777 (01-18-2020), Jon89 (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, JayJay, kind of what I was thinking it was going to look like. The 4.0 has two lines, so one will be a return, so not sure about that one.
Again on the filters. Good to know there is another source. Thanks, the filter just attaches with a little spring clip washer on a small stud on the bottom of the pump. Looks like two white tea bags together.

Jon89 (01-18-2020)

Quick Reply: Best Fuel Pump for the 2000 XK8